Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Out ward visibility

"Outward visibility is still atrocious in the new model. If anything, it’s probably worse than the fifth-generation. The side windows are comically petite and you might as well forget about seeing anything out of the back, but that isn’t a surprise, is it?"

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...ro-first-drive

Dang it! Was hoping but it is what I knew it would be...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
thefirstcause

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, 2009 Mazda6 GT V6
I've read more than once that the forward visibility is better. So at least we have that to hope for!
thefirstcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
They lost me when they said 'Maro....
Old 05-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Excellent positive review

I love the chop top look.....
Old 05-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
They lost me when they said 'Maro....

Stopped reading at that point.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Overall the article was full of praise. Lots of good compliments. Forward visibility is better. Good enough for me.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
Tim Adams

Drives: 2020 Elkhart Lake Blue 1LT Z51 C8
As it was said in the famous movie The Gumball Rally, the first rule of Italian racing is what's behind me doesn't matter. As Franco rips the rear view mirror off and tosses it aside.

2020 C8 ordered!!

"The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches"

www.timadamsphotography.com
Tim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
As it was said in the famous movie The Gumball Rally, the first rule of Italian racing is what's behind me doesn't matter. As Franco rips the rear view mirror off and tosses it aside.
I've been saying we should do that for a while now. Just use the video display for rear view. That probably isn't legal ... yet.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #9
Stex

Yes it is. All you need to pass inspection in Texas is the two side mirrors. I have a truck and a car with no rear view mirror. Really pisses off the tail riders. You do not even notice them except for a glance in the side mirror. Helps at night too with the trucks.

At 6' 4" Outward visibility is really hampered in the 5th and sounds worse in the 6th. Probably will still not be able to see a stop light and for me I do enjoy a glance out the side now and then and yes even to see the sky. The rear view is not an issue for me. Side, up and angle visibility is.

Just maybe the handling/driving/get up and go will be enough of an improvement to over come this. Doubt it. Maybe forced to stang...then maybe not!

Funny how some are bothered by the use of a term for the camaro. My GTOs where call "goats"..My 280Z was just called a z. Corvettes are Vetts. Mustangs are called stangs...? ????
Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
Stex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Actually the Z/28 was called a Z car first. And when you say Z are you talking about a 240z 260z 280z 300z etc.....
At lest 'Maro isn't as bad as Cammy..
Ya I would blink at cammy too. We were buying new goats and the z/28s in the60s. I went for the goats (did not fit well in the Camaro)and a few friends went for the Camaro and/or firebird.

We all called them by the full name. Z/28. or RS etc....

Friend had a z/28 or RS and went to Vietnam for a year. He stored the Camaro in his dads garage. Dropped insurance. His dad moved it to the driveway to clean the garage. Car was stolen. Friend made it back but was less one nice ride.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #11
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Being able to see close traffic lights is an issue in many sedans and even some crossovers.

Some are better than others when it comes to outward visibility, but no car that I've ever driven has visibility so poor that it makes driving difficult.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Ya I would blink at cammy too. We were buying new goats and the z/28s in the60s. I went for the goats (did not fit well in the Camaro)and a few friends went for the Camaro and/or firebird.

We all called them by the full name. Z/28. or RS etc....

Friend had a z/28 or RS and went to Vietnam for a year. He stored the Camaro in his dads garage. Dropped insurance. His dad moved it to the driveway to clean the garage. Car was stolen. Friend made it back but was less one nice ride.
I remember a few reviews early on calling the Z/28 just the Z. Then later Datsun adopted it.
Anyhoo, Until Chevy calls it something else I won't call the Camaro anything but a Camaro, Chevy never has used a shortened version of it's name like they have the Corvette.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
Being able to see close traffic lights is an issue in many sedans and even some crossovers.

Some are better than others when it comes to outward visibility, but no car that I've ever driven has visibility so poor that it makes driving difficult.
Yep my HHR was as bad as the Camaro for seeing stop lights. Windshield height and seating position are what determines if you can see it or not. Just adapt and stop a little farther back... Or get a convertible
Old 05-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Well I have to withhold judgment until I can sit in and drive one and that's still many months away.

Outward visibility in the Gen5 is horrid. High cowl and high belt line hinder front and side views. Slammed roof line makes side views bad. Rear quarter is non existent. A result of using Zeta and having to slam the style on top of it.

As many of you know I have preached that GM needed to significantly improve the visibility. Mrs. Number 3 wouldn't drive a 5th gen unless she had to. She is petite and the car is huge with horrid sight lines.

This car was apparently design to please the existing Camaro buyer, NOT to entice new buyers who may not have otherwise considered one. And once again GM has sacrificed true greatness for the sake of styling. Don't get me wrong, that works................to a point.

You can throw an LT1 and the new 8 speed in a turdmobile and people would buy it. But the V6 and L4 crowd may be looking for a car they can drive in the city, park easily and put things in the trunk without effort.

I believe the Gen 6 Camaro will sell well. Probably back to previous heights of the Gen 5. And that will make it a "mild" success.

Now is it better than the Mustang? I haven't been in the new Mustang either so I can't compare the two cars. And the Mustang is currently selling in HUGE numbers that are somewhat baffling other than the 2014 Mustang must have really been a piece of poop.

Maybe it's ok for the car to simply look good and go great. But sacrificing rear seat space, what looks like less trunk room and having higher belt with a more slammed roof don't seem to make for the sake of styling?

Not suggesting I want one any less either. But I fear these concerns could send me in another direction.