Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 11-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Jeff Cook
Account Suspended

Drives: Soon to be ZL1 1LE
2018 ZL1 1LE with AWE Touring Exhaust - No Resonator (catback)

What do you guys think of the sound?

I usually would choose Corsa, but I prefer how it sounds on built motors. I don't really like the sound that it has when you lift off on a stock car with cats. Makes a fluttery noise. I do think they sound mean.

I will get some more angles, drive-by's etc, just curious if others are on the same agreement with me. So far driving around I love it.

Big thanks to AWE for getting it to me.

Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Slate993tt

Drives: 2018 Silver ZL1 1LE
I have the same set-up but with the secondary cats removed. On the track with helmet on it is soo much nicer than stock. Around town it can seem a bit loud but honestly because of that you are less tempted to stretch the ZLE's legs so maybe the added DB's is a blessing in disguise. I do wish the tone was deeper but most of these LT4 systems just aren't that way. also at 2500rpms there is some and I say some drone/resonance which I'm sure would not be there i fit still had the secondary cats(which i may put back in). but I am hugely impressed at the lack of drone compared to how stinking loud the exhaust is. Craftsmanship of the system is top notch. over-all I am happy with the system and would recommend it to anyone.

I'm just laughing because the first time I drove-it I thought...well there is no way I'm passing sound at Laguna. Will love to see what you do...because of the removable tips making Laguna pipes should be a snap...I'm just not sure that will be enough. hahaha
Slate993tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:09 AM   #3
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Tone isn't deep enough. And they definitely should have tuned out that fluttery sound. Kooks is the way to go on these cars if you want a clean deep sound. There are no residual noises when you rev the Kooks system. You hear nothing but a growl.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Sounds great! I have the Touring axel back I put on my SS a month ago and love it. Thanks AWE and Dynosteve!
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Sounds great OP. Looking forward to hearing an AWE ZL1 in person over the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
Tone isn't deep enough. And they definitely should have tuned out that fluttery sound. Kooks is the way to go on these cars if you want a clean deep sound. There are no residual noises when you rev the Kooks system. You hear nothing but a growl.
Not trying to come at you but, do you have to do this on nearly every exhaust thread? Just go and enjoy your $600 Auto Zone exhaust and let everybody else run whatever they want. At least add an "IMO" here and there.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
I'll be putting the same system on my A10 ZL1 hopefully next week. Sounds good!
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
mdmoore23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Sounds great OP. Looking forward to hearing an AWE ZL1 in person over the summer.

Not trying to come at you but, do you have to do this on nearly every exhaust thread? Just go and enjoy your $600 Auto Zone exhaust and let everybody else run whatever they want. At least add an "IMO" here and there.
He asked for opinions, did he not? So just like you always suggest Corsa at every chance, I'm going to do the same for Kooks. And please with the price crap already. Should a manufacturer be faulted because they price an exhaust reasonably? If overpaying is your thing then fine. And actually the Kooks axleback is around the same price as a comparable AWE setup. And If you were not trying to come at me , then there was really no reason for you to address me at all, was there?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #8
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
OP nice ride, i will pass on that sound.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:

How is Kooks autozone? I am pretty sure they are a pretty good brand considering they do exhaust on cars that cost 5 times as much as ours.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
Hellobatman

Drives: 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln Navi
Sounds great, I have the same setup.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
He asked for opinions, did he not? So just like you always suggest Corsa at every chance, I'm going to do the same for Kooks. And please with the price crap already. Should a manufacturer be faulted because they price an exhaust reasonably? If overpaying is your thing then fine. And actually the Kooks axleback is around the same price as a comparable AWE setup. And If you were not trying to come at me , then there was really no reason for you to address me at all, was there?
I recommend Corsa when people ask what exhaust they should get, but I do not take "every opportunity" as you put it. There are many times I just don't recommend anything. When somebody has just installed an exhaust system, I would not tell them, paraphrasing, it doesn't sound good, how my car sounds better, and man did the manufacturer of the exhaust mess up. I was addressing you directly, not coming at you. I still maintain that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
How is Kooks autozone? I am pretty sure they are a pretty good brand considering they do exhaust on cars that cost 5 times as much as ours.
Kooks as a brand is not low quality. However their axle back setup is simply pipe made to fit and resonator cans you can buy at Auto Zone. It's cheap because it's not expensive to make. Kooks Headers and X pipes are the most expensive, secondly only to ARH in some applications. So they're definitely NOT afraid to charge a lot of money for high quality products. Them charging this much less for an axle back shows either it's very cheap to make (Highly believable) or it's actually that much lower quality (Not very likely). It's no secret that the system suffers from drone, and when paired with headers, it's extremely loud. It's an untuned, near straight pipe. In fact, it may be overpriced for what it is considering your local exhaust shop could fab the same setup. When you pay $1200-$2000 for Borla, Corsa, AWE, Akrapovic, GT Haus or similar, you're paying for an engineered muffler, possibly valves, higher quality workmanship and clamps, etc. Sure you're not getting the same value for pipes that fit, but that doesn't mean it's not a better product. The Kooks axle back was an afterthought system when they wanted an all in one solution. If it happens to work out for a bunch of people and suit their tastes in an affordable package, that's GREAT. But no need to continue for him to overstate its supposed awesomeness and spread its prowess in nearly every exhaust thread that seems to pop up.

JMO.

Nice ride OP. Keep in mind that the recording methods for these videos and similarly the playback methods NEVER do justice to the sound in person.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
mdmoore23

Quote:
I recommend Corsa when people ask what exhaust they should get, but I do not take "every opportunity" as you put it. There are many times I just don't recommend anything. When somebody has just installed an exhaust system, I would not tell them, paraphrasing, it doesn't sound good, how my car sounds better, and man did the manufacturer of the exhaust mess up. I was addressing you directly, not coming at you. I still maintain that.

Kooks as a brand is not low quality. However their axle back setup is simply pipe made to fit and resonator cans you can buy at Auto Zone. It's cheap because it's not expensive to make. Kooks Headers and X pipes are the most expensive, secondly only to ARH in some applications. So they're definitely NOT afraid to charge a lot of money for high quality products. Them charging this much less for an axle back shows either it's very cheap to make (Highly believable) or it's actually that much lower quality (Not very likely). It's no secret that the system suffers from drone, and when paired with headers, it's extremely loud. It's an untuned, near straight pipe. In fact, it may be overpriced for what it is considering your local exhaust shop could fab the same setup. When you pay $1200-$2000 for Borla, Corsa, AWE, Akrapovic, GT Haus or similar, you're paying for an engineered muffler, possibly valves, higher quality workmanship and clamps, etc. Sure you're not getting the same value for pipes that fit, but that doesn't mean it's not a better product. The Kooks axle back was an afterthought system when they wanted an all in one solution. If it happens to work out for a bunch of people and suit their tastes in an affordable package, that's GREAT. But no need to continue for him to overstate its supposed awesomeness and spread its prowess in nearly every exhaust thread that seems to pop up.

JMO.

Nice ride OP. Keep in mind that the recording methods for these videos and similarly the playback methods NEVER do justice to the sound in person.
I'm simply taking the opportunity to promote a great product that doesn't get enough recognition in my opinion. It actually changes the tone of the LT4's exhaust rather than amplifying the stock sound. You bringing up its price so often makes no sense and really seems kind of snobby to me. AWE's axleback is around the same price or less than Kooks, so does it make that cheap too? Several people have purchased this system since hearing my video and all have been pleased. That's not a coincidence. I dont know why it seems so hard for you to wrap your head around the fact that a $700 axleback can and does sound better than a $1200 one to some people.

Last edited by mdmoore23; 11-30-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #13
Slate993tt

Drives: 2018 Silver ZL1 1LE
As an owner of the AWE system I bought based off the vids of the SS they had released and in those vids the tone seemed deeper than a system like the ATAK or Corsa. But IMO on these LT4's the tone does not sound like the AWE vids as I know on my car it seems highers pitched than the videos. But I will say Jeff's(OP) vid above sounds alot like my car but a tad deeper and I'm wondering if the removal of my 2ndary cats is making it a touch higher pitched. I'm highly considering adding the cats back on to see. So to be honest I don't love the sound but the quality of the product and the exhaust tips etc are top notch. Many might prefer the sound of a higher pitched V8(kinda like a gt350) but I'd rather have the thunder of say a C7R. ;-)
Slate993tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Quote:
It's pretty hard to get an accurate depiction of exhaust sound from a video or audio clip, especially when you are comparing different exhausts recorded with different equipment. Not that it hurts to add the content since some people may not have the ability to hear them all in person before making a choice.

Mine is arriving tomorrow! Can't wait.

Quote:
I'm simply taking the opportunity to promote a great product that doesn't get enough recognition in my opinion. It actually changes the tone of the LT4's exhaust rather than amplifying the stock sound. You bringing up its price so often makes no sense and really seems kind of snobby to me. AWE's axleback is around the same price or less than Kooks, so does it make that cheap too? Several people have purchased this system since hearing my video and all have been pleased. That's not a coincidence. I dont know why it seems so hard for you to wrap your head around the fact that a $700 axleback can and does sound better than a $1200 one to some people.
I don't know about all. Reading your thread, several people are looking at other options due to the drone.

Last edited by joe944; 12-03-2018 at 02:17 PM.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote