Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-31-2018, 08:24 PM   #71
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
There is drone on mine as well, but Damn does it sound incredible.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:20 PM   #72
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
There is drone on mine as well, but Damn does it sound incredible.
Agreed!
Old 11-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #73
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Revisiting this post for a question.

I have not seen this setup yet used on a ZLE. Since the rear end ratio and 6th gear trans ratios are different with the A-10 and even the M-6 ZL1, has anyone put this axle back system on the ZLE? I would like to see it there is a notable drone issue with this on the ZLE before I spend the money.

I really like the sound overall, and it may not matter with the ratio differences, but if anyone has this system on the ZLE, can you please advise....

Thanks,

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #74
collinms

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgi5150 View Post

I have not seen this setup yet used on a ZLE. Since the rear end ratio and 6th gear trans ratios are different with the A-10 and even the M-6 ZL1, has anyone put this axle back system on the ZLE? I would like to see it there is a notable drone issue with this on the ZLE before I spend the money.

I really like the sound overall, and it may not matter with the ratio differences, but if anyone has this system on the ZLE, can you please advise....

Thanks,

JJ
If I had to guess, it's most likely worse on the M6. I can get above or below the drone with the 10 speed. The exhaust is louder than it appears in videos. I would say if drone is a big thing for you, I would pass on it. I personally love the sound even if I have to deal with drone around 2K rpm. It shakes the rear glass or something in the back, but I don't take the car on long trips so it's a non-issue for me.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #75
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:

Thanks,

JJ

If the ZLE doesn't cruise at exactly 2k rpm on the highway you will be good. The little drone that I do experience is confined to a very specific rpm and load range.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #76
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:

Thanks,

JJ
My $.02 is that if you're worried at all about drone being an issue, get Corsa. I've had cars that have droned before and I always told myself it's not that big of a deal. But over time I'd start to realize how annoying it gets after a while. There's some cars I put up with it for the cool factor. The videos make Corsa sound higher pitched and some people call it exotic, but in real life it's all muscle with a refined tone (No glass pack sounding blat or rattly loud straight piped sound). It's the only exhaust I've heard that doesn't sound rattly and tinny once under throttle. Borla isn't bad either. The Kooks system is meant to be an addition to their headers as a "Well, it's a race car already so what" thing.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #77
mdmoore23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
My $.02 is that if you're worried at all about drone being an issue, get Corsa. I've had cars that have droned before and I always told myself it's not that big of a deal. But over time I'd start to realize how annoying it gets after a while. There's some cars I put up with it for the cool factor. The videos make Corsa sound higher pitched and some people call it exotic, but in real life it's all muscle with a refined tone (No glass pack sounding blat or rattly loud straight piped sound). It's the only exhaust I've heard that doesn't sound rattly and tinny once under throttle. Borla isn't bad either. The Kooks system is meant to be an addition to their headers as a "Well, it's a race car already so what" thing.
As is evident in my video, Kooks does not have any tinny sound at any point. I have absolutely no regrets in purchasing this system. The Corsa systems just sound too much like stock to my ears. Maybe slightly more volume wot, but it's the same sound signature. Kooks completely changes the sound from idle all the way to wot. The tone is completely deep with no rasp at all.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #78
collinms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
As is evident in my video, Kooks does not have any tinny sound at any point. I have absolutely no regrets in purchasing this system. The Corsa systems just sound too much like stock to my ears. Maybe slightly more volume wot, but it's the same sound signature. Kooks completely changes the sound from idle all the way to wot. The tone is completely deep with no rasp at all.
+1
Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #79
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
If the ZLE doesn't cruise at exactly 2k rpm on the highway you will be good. The little drone that I do experience is confined to a very specific rpm and load range.
Thanks for the response to this. I'm going to make some notes on various cruising speed and RPM's with stock system today, and note where those ranges are.

I have no problem with the sounds from a Corsa axle back, but I do have a huge problem with the outrageous cost of just two mufflers, without valves no less.

The stock mufflers on my '15 Z/28 were a LOT better sounding than the suitcase on the ZLE. I ran those with the fuse pulled and I felt it was just the perfect sound for me. If there were an easy way to switch to those mufflers, I would probably do that. The cost of the Kooks axle back system stills seems to be the most practical.

Again, thanks for everyone's responses.

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #80
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Thanks for the response to this. I'm going to make some notes on various cruising speed and RPM's with stock system today, and note where those ranges are.

I have no problem with the sounds from a Corsa axle back, but I do have a huge problem with the outrageous cost of just two mufflers, without valves no less.

The stock mufflers on my '15 Z/28 were a LOT better sounding than the suitcase on the ZLE. I ran those with the fuse pulled and I felt it was just the perfect sound for me. If there were an easy way to switch to those mufflers, I would probably do that. The cost of the Kooks axle back system stills seems to be the most practical.

Again, thanks for everyone's responses.

JJ
The LS7 is a better sounding engine in general. My 427 is the best sounding LS car I've ever heard with just the fuse pulled. Tons of growl, decel pops, and at WOT it screams.

The LT4 has a much harsher noise to it that no exhaust system is going to change.

Corsa definitely sounds nothing like stock. The sound difference from my Corsa cat-back and stock exhaust is night and day. Corsa is louder, deeper, and better sounding. The stock suitcase leaves a lot to be desired. As for cost, I don't think they're that bad for the industry. Certainly there's cheaper exhausts out there if you want to go that route.

It's your money, buy what you want. The AWE would be my choice if I didn't go Corsa.

Last edited by Can'tHave2MuchHP; 11-08-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #81
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
The ZLE cruises at higher than 2k at highway speeds and in my experience the higher the RPM the worse drone will get if you have it. Keeping it at or below 2k is usually the no drone area.

I'm currently enjoying the new AWE system.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #82
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
The ZLE cruises at higher than 2k at highway speeds and in my experience the higher the RPM the worse drone will get if you have it. Keeping it at or below 2k is usually the no drone area.

I'm currently enjoying the new AWE system.

Now that sounds pretty ferocious.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #83
Hellobatman

Drives: 2017 Ford F250, 2019 Lincoln Navi
Here's my AWE touring setup, sorry for the video quality, I was facing into the sun.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #84
mdmoore23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
The LS7 is a better sounding engine in general. My 427 is the best sounding LS car I've ever heard with just the fuse pulled. Tons of growl, decel pops, and at WOT it screams.

The LT4 has a much harsher noise to it that no exhaust system is going to change.

Corsa definitely sounds nothing like stock. The sound difference from my Corsa cat-back and stock exhaust is night and day. Corsa is louder, deeper, and better sounding. The stock suitcase leaves a lot to be desired. As for cost, I don't think they're that bad for the industry. Certainly there's cheaper exhausts out there if you want to go that route.

It's your money, buy what you want. The AWE would be my choice if I didn't go Corsa.
I think I'm going to have to make some more videos. Kooks changes the tone more than any I've heard. This system does not get the recognition it deserves. Trust me. Look at the video and tell me that sounds anything like the other offerings. Several people have contacted me that purchased this system based off my video. All are blown away by it. I'm not just saying this stuff because it's on my car. For this system to be under $700, no one is touching this system for sound nor quality. And yes, Corsa's price is too high for what they offer by way of axleback. Even AWE came in cheaper for a similar setup.