Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #1
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
New ZLE 10 minutes out!

Bought an 1100 mile white ZLE, shipped from Illinois to CA. It's 10 minutes out. I'll post my impressions after first drive. My last Camaro was a 2015 Z/28 so the bar is high!

Enjoying it today. Tomorrow it's going to the shop for PPF and Ceramic coating!
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
Sullie63
CamaroFan63

Drives: '15 1LT Summit White
Enjoy that bad boy!

Strut bar / Husky Floor liners
Sullie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #3
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
you are gonna love it
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #4
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
the Z/28 is raw and amazing but the ZLE is the perfect package of amenities and pure performance
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #5
semif18

Ok, so I took her out for a spin. Here are my initial impressions. First and foremost I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the interior is. Mine has the carbon fiber accented dash, red seatbelts, red lighting and red stitching. Lots of plastic, which you expect, but overall a much nicer interior than the Z/28. Not quite as nice as the GT4, but very close. My daughter went with me for the drive and she was commenting how nice it was. Really well done Chevy on the interior. LOVE the HUD......didn't have that in the Z/28 or the GT4. Shifting is extremely smooth. I've said many times the GT4 is the most buttery smooth, perfect shifting car I've ever driven. My first impression is this might be just as good. I'll have to drive it more to see. Z/28 has an excellent short throw shifter, but I think the GT4 and this has it beat. Looks.......I thought the Z/28 was the most aggressive looking Camaro ever. With the dive planes, huge front splitter, etc......I think this might actually be more aggressive. I LOVE the look of the Z/28 and I LOVE the look of this car. I don't know if I can pick a favorite. The GT4 is gorgeous, more sleek and sporty. Totally different look. I guess I might say the GT4 is beautiful and the ZLE is badass! Power......here is where there is no comparison. Holy lord, no contest. Let me caveat that this has the stock 3R track tires, they weren't warmed up, so anything over half throttle and they started to spin, so I didn't have a chance to really get on it. Don't need to. I can feel the low end torque. Better gear ratios than the GT4, which were too long (a common complaint with that car). Felt the same as the Z/28, but just way more grunt available everywhere. This car will get me in trouble for sure. Oh, I almost forgot.......after reading about how harsh the suspension is I was expecting it to be terrible (worse than the Z/28), but it wasn't bad at all. Stiff yes, just like the Z/28, and we hit some bumps, but nothing at all that would cause me to think it's unbearable. This is not my daily driver, this is my weekend mountain racer so not an issue at all, but again I didn't think it was that bad. Basically just like the Z/28. So overall after a first drive I am EXTREMELY impressed with the car. From the first second I sat in it I was struck at how nice of a car it is. Yes the visibility out the windows sucks, but whatever, you get used to it. This is my third Camaro so no big deal. Usually when I transition to a new car there is a pang of regret as I think about what I loved about the car I just sold, and trust me I loved the GT4, and before that the Z/28. I have ZERO regrets about moving to this thing. Tomorrow I'm taking it to get PPF and ceramic coating, then new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I'll have a very lightly used set of Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3R tires for sale very soon.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:58 PM   #6
semif18

One more thing. I had posted previously that I wasn't a fan of the rear wing, that I was planning to take it off and replace it with something similar to the SS 1LE rear spoiler. Well, after seeing it in person, I absolutely LOVE it! What a beautiful carbon fiber piece, so I will definitely be keeping it!
Old 03-20-2021, 11:08 PM   #7
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
If u lived near Phx where shipping of the tires weren't so dang expensive I'd be interested.

Glad you like the car!
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:09 AM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
If you ever get down near North County San Diego, drop me a line and we'll go out for a cruise!

Welcome back to the Camaro Family!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:17 AM   #9
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Not gonna lie, im jelly of that '15 z/28. I have a 18 zl1 and the z28 is something I've been eyeballing
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:14 AM   #10
Ksdaoski27

Drives: Porsche
Congrats. That car was about two hours from me.
I've been considering a GT4 or a GTS for track duties.
Will be curious to see your thoughts on a couple is months vs the GT4
Ksdaoski27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Congratulations and I’m sure you will enjoy that ZLE hot rod even more with more driving miles! Those ZLEs are awesome street and track cars especially on the track.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #12
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
Ok, so I took her out for a spin. Here are my initial impressions. First and foremost I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the interior is. Mine has the carbon fiber accented dash, red seatbelts, red lighting and red stitching. Lots of plastic, which you expect, but overall a much nicer interior than the Z/28. Not quite as nice as the GT4, but very close. My daughter went with me for the drive and she was commenting how nice it was. Really well done Chevy on the interior. LOVE the HUD......didn't have that in the Z/28 or the GT4. Shifting is extremely smooth. I've said many times the GT4 is the most buttery smooth, perfect shifting car I've ever driven. My first impression is this might be just as good. I'll have to drive it more to see. Z/28 has an excellent short throw shifter, but I think the GT4 and this has it beat. Looks.......I thought the Z/28 was the most aggressive looking Camaro ever. With the dive planes, huge front splitter, etc......I think this might actually be more aggressive. I LOVE the look of the Z/28 and I LOVE the look of this car. I don't know if I can pick a favorite. The GT4 is gorgeous, more sleek and sporty. Totally different look. I guess I might say the GT4 is beautiful and the ZLE is badass! Power......here is where there is no comparison. Holy lord, no contest. Let me caveat that this has the stock 3R track tires, they weren't warmed up, so anything over half throttle and they started to spin, so I didn't have a chance to really get on it. Don't need to. I can feel the low end torque. Better gear ratios than the GT4, which were too long (a common complaint with that car). Felt the same as the Z/28, but just way more grunt available everywhere. This car will get me in trouble for sure. Oh, I almost forgot.......after reading about how harsh the suspension is I was expecting it to be terrible (worse than the Z/28), but it wasn't bad at all. Stiff yes, just like the Z/28, and we hit some bumps, but nothing at all that would cause me to think it's unbearable. This is not my daily driver, this is my weekend mountain racer so not an issue at all, but again I didn't think it was that bad. Basically just like the Z/28. So overall after a first drive I am EXTREMELY impressed with the car. From the first second I sat in it I was struck at how nice of a car it is. Yes the visibility out the windows sucks, but whatever, you get used to it. This is my third Camaro so no big deal. Usually when I transition to a new car there is a pang of regret as I think about what I loved about the car I just sold, and trust me I loved the GT4, and before that the Z/28. I have ZERO regrets about moving to this thing. Tomorrow I'm taking it to get PPF and ceramic coating, then new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I'll have a very lightly used set of Goodyear Eagle Supercar 3R tires for sale very soon.
Congratulations.

I’m still thrilled with these cars as well. June will make two years since I’ve had the ZL1, and she’s been flawless. Just a great car.

When I first sat in my original 6th Gen (a ‘17 2SS in Bright yellow), I was pleasantly surprised by the interior. For the $, all the creature comforts i expected and more. Coming from the Camaro’s I had owned previously (been around them all my life), this interior is like comparing a biplane to a Cessna Citation.

I’ve never had an issue with the visibility out of this platform, but I do understand where this concern comes from.

Also funny you mentioned not having any buyers remorse. I couldn’t agree more. The only issue I had was a deep regret in having traded my 2017 in on the ZL1 I drive now. Should have kept it. We wound up buying a “zippy” car for my wife to drive last year, and the Camaro would have fit that bill better.

Enjoy, and send pics!
Old 03-21-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
Eham

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Congratulations! I agree on the "rough ride"...it's not nearly as bad as what some were making it out to be. Also not my daily though.
Eham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
The red accent lights can be changed to any color you like through the infotainment system.
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote