Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #2479
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Did you shout me out??
You’ll have to watch the whole program to find out.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #2480
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
If I had the funds to buy a car in that price range, the base would be just fine with me. The press release mentioned the 12" LCD as standard (or at least implied its standard) so should be pretty well loaded. I wouldn't want the Carbon Pack, because I know I'd never use it to it's capabilities just like if I bought a ZL1, id never consider the ZLE.

But at that price range, I think i'd rather have a Corvette still

Right! That is almost comical that it costs that much. The difference from 350 to 350R was only like 8500 I think, what the hell does this have that costs 10K more than that!

Hmmm..an aluminum frame, relatively light weight, removable top, world class sports car, available with a manual...or a Mustang for $80,000. $80,000. A Mustang. For $80,000. I have to keep saying it to myself. $80,000 lol this thing better ****ing rip around a track like it doesn't weigh 4,000 pounds. It's a different ball game at that price point.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #2481
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10

Laughing as all the little M6G hearts break in realization that they won't be able to afford the GT500...but I can, HAHAHA!! Ok that was immature so, enough teasing and bragging.

At these prices, regardless of who it's "natural' competitor is I think we need to consider how it compares to other cars that will cost in the same price range. Because let's keep in mind all the options that are standard on the ZL1. Heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, blind spot indicators, etc at it's MSRP of $64K. Now if you price a comparably equipped GT500, where will that land you? $80K?! So approx $15K more expensive than it's natural competitor when comparably equipped. Can we even consider them "natural" competitors anymore? And will the $90K version be able to beat the $70K ZLE? And then what will the CF version cost when comparably equipped with the options that are standard in the $70K ZLE? Will it cost over $100K with those same options?

So let's look at what $80K and $100K gets you elsewhere. You can get a Z06, GTR, and for a touch over $100K ($102K), you can get a M5 that runs a high 10 sec quarter mile and is a luxury sedan with AWD and comes standard with even more options than the ZL1s have. So to me it seems that the GT500 is priced way above it's worth.

I think this shows exactly what it takes to beat an "econo-box" "parts-bin special" Camaro. At the same price Ford with the GT350R was not able to touch the standard ZL1. And they had nothing for the ZLE. And now even if the GT500 does beat the ZLE, it costs like $20K more for a bare bones model that won't even have comparable options. AND is limited to 180 MPH. I gotta say, regardless of what happens on the track, the ZL1 and the other Camaros clearly take the crown this Gen.

Last edited by BlaqWhole; 06-28-2019 at 12:22 PM.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #2482
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Hmmm..an aluminum frame, relatively light weight, removable top, world class sports car, available with a manual...or a Mustang for $80,000. $80,000. A Mustang. For $80,000. I have to keep saying it to myself. $80,000 lol this thing better ****ing rip around a track like it doesn't weigh 4,000 pounds. It's a different ball game at that price point.
Not for nothin, but this is why you don't ever ever pay markups on a vehicle. All these people that trolled our forum and tried to justify the markups by saying that people felt the GT350 was worth the extra price...well guess what...Ford took note of that and now the price reflects what people are "willing" to pay. Why should the dealerships get all the money? The blame goes to all the customers. They effectively drove the price way up. Same thing happened with the Redeyes because of the Demon the (early) Hellcats. People paid all those markups and now the Hellcats and Redeyes with decent options is in the high $80K range with some even hitting low $90K. Although pricing that high drives away the markups, it still ends up with the customer paying much more than they would have.

Now look at us Camaro folk. We don't do that shit. And most of us are getting amazing deals on ZL1s and ZLEs which are competing against other cars that cost way more.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #2483
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I have to agree with Blaq. For the price of this car with the carbon pack it better haul f****** ass.

That is absurd that it costs 18,500 they better know something we don't as far as performance because that is just damn crazy.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #2484
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
I have to agree with Blaq. For the price of this car with the carbon pack it better haul f****** ass.

That is absurd that it costs 18,500 they better know something we don't as far as performance because that is just damn crazy.
It better best the C7Z07/Z07 package - because that's the price range it's in.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #2485
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
It better best the C7Z07/Z07 package - because that's the price range it's in.
Agreed.

Also looked at some of the options.....10K for painted stripes???? They go pound sand
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #2486
Ethanolic
Banned

Drives: F150
IIRC I guessed $70-72.5k base MSRP... I’ll take my cookie in chocolate chip.

Those option prices doh, wow.

The DCT is over $20k alone. I think C8 corvette buyers are in for a similar shock.
Ethanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #2487
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Agreed.

Also looked at some of the options.....10K for painted stripes???? They go pound sand
Yeah, we are definitely on the same page.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #2488
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
WOW. I didn't expect the carbon fiber package to cost $18,500. The article went on to say therre are other options that you can get that haven't had pricing announced, so it may be possible that a Mustang MSRPs for six figures. And that's without ADM.

At those prices, I would be in a ZR1. That is the last front-engine manual transmission in Corvette history. A real keeper!
ZR1 starts at $121k but good look finding one on a lot that is the base ZR1 model. How, even at $95k, is that ZR1 money? It's more like Z06 money.

And I agree, the base price is right where I expected and within a few hundred dollars of the Redeye. The CF track pack is much more than I expected, considering the cost difference between the GT350 and GT350R.

I also would expect that with 110 more hp, it would be several thousand dollars more than the ZL1.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #2489
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
ZR1 starts at $121k but good look finding one on a lot that is the base ZR1 model. How, even at $95k, is that ZR1 money? It's more like Z06 money.

And I agree, the base price is right where I expected and within a few hundred dollars of the Redeye. The CF track pack is much more than I expected, considering the cost difference between the GT350 and GT350R.

I also would expect that with 110 more hp, it would be several thousand dollars more than the ZL1.
Because most folks will pay a hefty ADM on these cars, and I mentioned that in my post, but I guess I could have made my comparison more clear. Also, the article metioned that the $95k was not including a bunch of options because they didn't know what the price of those options will be. But certianly, a fully optioned GT500 (like the article mentioned) will probably be in the six figures. Even at $110k (maybe you only pay a 10K ADM, and don't select all the options on the carbon package model), I, and many others, would move on to a ZR1 or 911. Maybe even pay a little more, because as impressive as the GT500 is, there are better options out there for that kind of money.

Now, if you can get one without the ADM and get a base model, that is not in the same price category as a ZR1. And there are some good standard features in the base model. But, as others are pointing out, the options are pretty hefty. I can see paying a ton for carbon fiber wheels and the like, but look at the price of the painted stripes. At that price, they better be painting it with 24k gold.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #2490
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

Laughing as all the little M6G hearts break in realization that they won't be able to afford the GT500...but I can, HAHAHA!! Ok that was immature so, enough teasing and bragging.

At these prices, regardless of who it's "natural' competitor is I think we need to consider how it compares to other cars that will cost in the same price range. Because let's keep in mind all the options that are standard on the ZL1. Heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, blind spot indicators, etc at it's MSRP of $64K. Now if you price a comparably equipped GT500, where will that land you? $80K?! So approx $15K more expensive than it's natural competitor when comparably equipped. Can we even consider them "natural" competitors anymore? And will the $90K version be able to beat the $70K ZLE? And then what will the CF version cost when comparably equipped with the options that are standard in the $70K ZLE? Will it cost over $100K with those same options?

So let's look at what $80K and $100K gets you elsewhere. You can get a Z06, GTR, and for a touch over $100K ($102K), you can get a M5 that runs a high 10 sec quarter mile and is a luxury sedan with AWD and comes standard with even more options than the ZL1s have. So to me it seems that the GT500 is priced way above it's worth.

I think this shows exactly what it takes to beat an "econo-box" "parts-bin special" Camaro. At the same price Ford with the GT350R was not able to touch the standard ZL1. And they had nothing for the ZLE. And now even if the GT500 does beat the ZLE, it costs like $20K more for a bare bones model that won't even have comparable options. AND is limited to 180 MPH. I gotta say, regardless of what happens on the track, the ZL1 and the other Camaros clearly take the crown this Gen.
This guy. You are so lame, regularly boasting about how much car you can afford.

Every GT500 will sell, regardless of the fact that it is more expensive than the ZL1. So it will sell for what its worth to buyers. It has 110 more hp and a DCT, both facts that would push it into a higher price range. This is a surprise to no one.

If I recall, the R already took on the ZL1 with Pobst, same day same track, and was only a hair slower, IIRC it was like 0.4 seconds. With a 225 ft lbs torque and 125 hp deficit. I also recall they preferred the R's handling and braking.

And we all know the ZL1 and ZLE is well engineered, so it's not an "econo box", except when you feel it suits your narrative.

The base model GT500 has features, it's not "bare bone". But yes, that CF track pack is a pretty penny.

Most likely, the GT500 will accelerate about as well as the Z06, given it is heavier, and will trap the 1/4 mile 5+ mph faster than the GTR. The GTR will beat it to 60 because of the AWD factor. From a roll, though, GT500 all the way over a GTR.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 06-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #2491
Idaho2018GTPremium

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Because most folks will pay a hefty ADM on these cars, and I mentioned that in my post, but I guess I could have made my comparison more clear. Also, the article metioned that the $95k was not including a bunch of options because they didn't know what the price of those options will be. But certianly, a fully optioned GT500 (like the article mentioned) will probably be in the six figures. Even at $110k (maybe you only pay a 10K ADM, and don't select all the options on the carbon package model), I, and many others, would move on to a ZR1 or 911. Maybe even pay a little more, because as impressive as the GT500 is, there are better options out there for that kind of money.

Now, if you can get one without the ADM and get a base model, that is not in the same price category as a ZR1. And there are some good standard features in the base model. But, as others are pointing out, the options are pretty hefty. I can see paying a ton for carbon fiber wheels and the like, but look at the price of the painted stripes. At that price, they better be painting it with 24k gold.
Yeah, I was shocked at the painted stripes pricing. If I were in the market for a GT500, I'd be buying a base model with a few tech upgrades. It's too bad it doesn't appear to be offered with the full suite of safety tech. (Ford's "Safe and Smart" package) that includes all the latest safety tech features, one of the selling points for me in my '18 GT.

Past:
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Old 06-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #2492
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Agreed.

They are charging more because their buyers basically said "this car is worth more" as they proceeded to hand the dealerships a few extra stacks. So Ford is cashing in now. If I price something reasonable, and someone charges more, and you pay that extra price, why would I NOT start charging more myself??
Quote:
Actually, the dealership where I bought my ZL1 from had 2 ZR1s for sale in the past year. One was $120K and the other was $140K including a $5K markup. Another dealership close to me had an orange ZR1 at $125K. So I think you might be a bit off...
Quote:
This guy. You are so lame, regularly boasting about how much car you can afford.

Quote:
Every GT500 will sell, regardless of the fact that it is more expensive than the ZL1. So it will sell for what its worth to buyers. It has 110 more hp and a DCT, both facts that would push it into a higher price range. This is a surprise to no one.
A fool and his money...I won't be one of those buyers. Not that much and definitely not for a Mustang.
Quote:
If I recall, the R already took on the ZL1 with Pobst, same day same track, and was only a hair slower, IIRC it was like 0.4 seconds. With a 225 ft lbs torque and 125 hp deficit. I also recall they preferred the R's handling and braking.
First off, you can win by an inch or a mile...winning is winning. And I don't care what someone else says they prefer. Good for those guys. I'm the one who has to live with my purchase day in and day out. And I say that overall, the ZL1 is a better car hands down regardless of braking and handling. I'd rather have a car that won't catch on fire and won't consume oil and won't have engine failures over a car that brakes slightly better and handles slightly better but still loses on a track.
Quote:
And we all know the ZL1 and ZLE is well engineered, so it's not an "econo box", except when you feel it suits your narrative.

The base model GT500 has features, it's not "bare bone". But yes, that CF track pack is a pretty penny.

Most likely, the GT500 will accelerate about as well as the Z06, given it is heavier, and will trap the 1/4 mile 5+ mph faster than the GTR. The GTR will beat it to 60 because of the AWD factor. From a roll, though, GT500 all the way over a GTR.
I'm just going by what you guys have said in the past 2 years. "Econo-box", "parts-bin" special, "truck" engine...that's what you guys said. I never denied any of that. You're the one changing your story.

For the record, the ZLE, Z06/Z07, ZR1, RE, and GTR will beat the GT500 at something and they are all in it's price range. And I'm betting the M5 will give it some work too while being a roomy spacious luxury sedan. Don't be mad.