Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #155
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
Here's info on the Lawsuit, interesting reading:

https://www.classaction.org/media/du...motors-inc.pdf
Hope they nail GM to the wall on this. How do I join on?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #156
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
How long does diagnosis take? I saw the TSB, the diagnosis with picoscope etc.

I made sure to bring a written statement as required by the local lemon law since it looks like GM isn't really fixing the issue. OK law says 4 attempts for the same issue during the manufacturer warranty period. So 5/60k.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #157
SnakeEyeSS

It took my dealer about 3 hours for 18-NA-355.
Opened at 7, and called at 10 to say it was done. Well, I guess it was done since they didn't say "we can't detect the shudder".

Now we all wait. The only 2019s A8 GMs with a shudder were built in 2018 that I can find so far( colorado's).
Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #158
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Got her back with the new fluid, transmission feels definitely different, it’s sharper. I feel more confidence in it in sport mode. In tour I do notice it’s more of softer shifting. No shudder in V6 mode, slight shudder in V4. Yet again it’s only been 20 miles.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:24 PM   #159
SnakeEyeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
Got her back with the new fluid, transmission feels definitely different, it’s sharper. I feel more confidence in it in sport mode. In tour I do notice it’s more of softer shifting. No shudder in V6 mode, slight shudder in V4. Yet again it’s only been 20 miles.
Mine nearly hurt my back it bucked so hard on the first shift after pick up. It calmed down fast but I did notice some RPM surge during shifting still. Maybe it's in relearn.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #160
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Mine nearly hurt my back it bucked so hard on the first shift after pick up. It calmed down fast but I did notice some RPM surge during shifting still. Maybe it's in relearn.
Sounds like it, my first couple shifts were a little hard but now it’s very smooth. No shudder in V6 mode, a slight one in V4 I have put around 50 miles on her yesterday, I haven’t left for work yet so idk if it has changed for today.

You told them TSB 18-NA-355 right? They should be able to pull it up with no issue it was published on January 12th or something like that. They shouldn’t give you a hard time because they get paid by GM at the end of the day. My dealership loves warranty work becaus they get paid more (don’t know if this is true) by GM compared to getting paid by a customer.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #161
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Wondering about possibly getting this done prophylactically. I don't have the shudder problem so far, 8k miles. I know it wouldn't be covered by warranty - does anyone have any idea how much it would be out of pocket, or if a dealer would actually do this?
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #162
SnakeEyeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
Sounds like it, my first couple shifts were a little hard but now it’s very smooth. No shudder in V6 mode, a slight one in V4 I have put around 50 miles on her yesterday, I haven’t left for work yet so idk if it has changed for today.

You told them TSB 18-NA-355 right? They should be able to pull it up with no issue it was published on January 12th or something like that. They shouldn’t give you a hard time because they get paid by GM at the end of the day. My dealership loves warranty work because they get paid more (don’t know if this is true) by GM compared to getting paid by a customer.
Some interesting things, I am fine with since it shows they took my word for it, I'm not unhappy at all with the actual work. It looks like my car was in the bay all night, but here are some things I noticed from the dashcam.

Told by adviser: It takes way over the 1.5 hours to do it, more like 3 hours, we have to hook up a picoscope and and find the problem, and then do a triple flush. I said the new TSB says one flush and he said that THEY do a Triple Flush.

SAW on dashcam: Time between first starts and moving the trans flush machine away from the front, and then leaving the bay: 1 hour 20 minutes. Car was running for 4 minutes, on accessory mode for 12 minutes. No footage of any driving during that time. Invoice says 20 quarts of blue label fluid per 18-NA-355(so no triple flush),and road test (after flush) OK. Never saw footage of the car lifted, or driving.

GM requires proof of the problem on a Picoscope screenshot for the warranty work. It was cold, how did they get the trans fluid up to temp and do the pico with three minutes of running?

Maybe they unplugged the cam, but even then the test drive was super short going by so little mileage difference. I forgot to take note of the mileage, but I remember it was 266- on the way there(so could have been 267- at drop off, invoice says 2674), and 2675 when I picked it up, they may have not driven it at all.

I'm fine with it, plenty of evidence they did the flush(machine inches from the car, the hard shifts during pickup, smoother shifts on the way home). Just curious.

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 02-06-2019 at 10:21 AM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #163
Red Lightening

Drives: 2016 SS Camaro Convertible
I don't have the shudder and haven't read all the attached posts, (so sorry if this has already been covered), but was looking into changing my A8 tranny fluid and came across this guys video, maybe you have seen it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPrP4NQZg6w[/url] this video is titled;
"Camaro, Corvette, Cadillac 6, 8, and 10 Speed Auto Trans Fluid Level Check - No Dipstick" in case the link does not work

Anyhow, about 10 minutes into, he notes a GM bulletin for anyone with the "shudder" to use Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP Tranny fluid. Maybe will help??
Red Lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #164
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Wondering about possibly getting this done prophylactically. I don't have the shudder problem so far, 8k miles. I know it wouldn't be covered by warranty - does anyone have any idea how much it would be out of pocket, or if a dealer would actually do this?
I guarantee the use of "prophylactically" is a first for this website.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #165
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Some interesting things, I am fine with since it shows they took my word for it, I'm not unhappy at all with the actual work. It looks like my car was in the bay all night, but here are some things I noticed from the dashcam.

Told by adviser: It takes way over the 1.5 hours to do it, more like 3 hours, we have to hook up a picoscope and and find the problem, and then do a triple flush. I said the new TSB says one flush and he said that THEY do a Triple Flush.

SAW on dashcam: Time between first starts and moving the trans flush machine away from the front, and then leaving the bay: 1 hour 20 minutes. Car was running for 4 minutes, on accessory mode for 12 minutes. No footage of any driving during that time. Invoice says 20 quarts of blue label fluid per 18-NA-355(so no triple flush),and road test (after flush) OK. Never saw footage of the car lifted, or driving.

GM requires proof of the problem on a Picoscope screenshot for the warranty work. It was cold, how did they get the trans fluid up to temp and do the pico with three minutes of running?

Maybe they unplugged the cam, but even then the test drive was super short going by so little mileage difference. I forgot to take note of the mileage, but I remember it was 266- on the way there(so could have been 267- at drop off, invoice says 2674), and 2675 when I picked it up, they may have not driven it at all.

I'm fine with it, plenty of evidence they did the flush(machine inches from the car, the hard shifts during pickup, smoother shifts on the way home). Just curious.
The triple flush was a previous bandaid to fix the problem,right? Maybe the advisor was confused. Or they are attempting to get GM to pay them for 2 services,the old 3 flush and the new bandaid.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #166
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
I guarantee the use of "prophylactically" is a first for this website.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #167
SnakeEyeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lightening View Post
I don't have the shudder and haven't read all the attached posts, (so sorry if this has already been covered), but was looking into changing my A8 tranny fluid and came across this guys video, maybe you have seen it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPrP4NQZg6w[/url] this video is titled;
"Camaro, Corvette, Cadillac 6, 8, and 10 Speed Auto Trans Fluid Level Check - No Dipstick" in case the link does not work

Anyhow, about 10 minutes into, he notes a GM bulletin for anyone with the "shudder" to use Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP Tranny fluid. Maybe will help??
That's the same fluid put in at the factory for the last 2 years, We are now at the third formula(they are changing the label color this time and not the name, it was HP, then LV HP black, now LV HP blue). GM is saying it was the fluid causing all the problems. Because they spend a billion on a transmission and don't catch the fact the fluid they put in it is bad for it.

And you might want to read up on it because I wouldn't be surprised if people that don't have it actually just don't notice it, less than perfect roads and even music hide it well. Find a smooth road, drive slow and easy with exhaust in stealth if you have NPP, and listen for a light rumble during shifts, and see if your tach bounces around a few hundred RPM. I'll load a video later of it, it's very subtle in early stages.

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 02-06-2019 at 06:55 PM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #168
ItsChristianInHD

Quote:

Mine doesn’t as far as I know. Greenwood Chevy took a few hours to do mine but I know they were insanely busy that day which I wasn’t worried about it, they gave me a rental. Usually they are quick, I remember to get my torque converter replaced they got it done in I think 3-4 hours they have 1 guy that works on transmissions and that’s it if I remember that correctly.