Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-28-2023, 09:59 AM   #1
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I Found a Small Problem We All Might Have

I was just poking around my engine bay yesterday, when I noticed a missing bolt on the aluminum cross piece below the thermostat housing. That bolt fastened a hard line to the cross piece with a cushioned clamp.

Once I started looking further, I noticed that the coolant line was resting on the hard line, and the clamp on the left in the second picture had scratched the top of the hard line, and was damaging it. I also noticed a very small piece of rubber held on by a single zip tie, that was supposed to cushion the hard line from the clamp, but that had moved from its proper position, allowing the clamp to dig into the hard line

I ended up buying some rubber hosing, and cut a 6 inch section, sliced it, and zip tied it onto the hard line in 3 places, to prevent further contact. I also beefed up the clamp holding up the coolant line with an extra zip tie.

Have a quick look at your car. You might have the same situation, with that clamp slowly digging into that hard line.
Attached Images

Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Thank you. Can you please take a zoom out pic of engine bay and circle where It is at?

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:37 PM   #3
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
There is also a rubbing issue with one of the EVAP lines running from the frame rail, out and up to the engine eventually connecting to the driver's side. Eventually with enough rubbing it will cause a vacuum leak or EVAP leak.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Last edited by ZLRob; 08-28-2023 at 08:32 PM.
ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:37 PM   #4
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I just checked mine, and everything is secure, but I find it strange that large diameter hose basically rests on top of that rubber insulator that you show a picture of. You would think with vibration overtime the radiator hose would eventually wear in to that insulator.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 02:28 PM   #5
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
I couldn’t locate anything that looks like your photos on my 23.
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:04 PM   #6
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Interesting find.

I took a look at my 2017 SS 1LE. Bolt was there (with paint-pen mark).

On mine the spring clamp's ear was wearing into the abrasion sleeve on the metal pipe, so I decompressed the clamp some and rotated it a bit so the ear had more clearance to the metal pipe (I think it is the trans cooler line).
Attached Images

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:52 PM   #7
Mark R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
I just checked mine, and everything is secure, but I find it strange that large diameter hose basically rests on top of that rubber insulator that you show a picture of. You would think with vibration overtime the radiator hose would eventually wear in to that insulator.
Mine had shifted towards the driver's side, such that it was not providing any cushion.
Old 08-28-2023, 03:57 PM   #8
Mark R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Interesting find.

I took a look at my 2017 SS 1LE. Bolt was there (with paint-pen mark).

On mine the spring clamp's ear was wearing into the abrasion sleeve on the metal pipe, so I decompressed the clamp some and rotated it a bit so the ear had more clearance to the metal pipe (I think it is the trans cooler line).
Thank you for providing the correct names for these things. Your abrasion sleeve is much more like the one I fitted after I saw the stock one had moved.

You did right by turning the clamp so it would not hit.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:36 PM   #9
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Mark R, Thanks for bringing this issue up.

Here are a few photos that help point out the area of concerns. The picture with the two arrows, if you put your fingers under these two areas, you will be able to feel the smaller metal tube against the larger hose. Check for ample clearance. You can move the larger hose assembly around somewhat and see the areas of concern better. The only area that the clearance is tight on my car is the left side. The close-up picture (using a mirror from the back side) shows it has just enough clearance but not much. I may move the abrasion sleeve a little, probably rotate the clamp a little to help increase the clearance gap. I will keep an eye on it and if necessary, add some more abrasion sleeve material.

Old 08-28-2023, 04:37 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I will check my 2017!
Old 08-28-2023, 04:57 PM   #11
Mark R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerus View Post
Mark R, Thanks for bringing this issue up.

Here are a few photos that help point out the area of concerns. The picture with the two arrows, if you put your fingers under these two areas, you will be able to feel the smaller metal tube against the larger hose. Check for ample clearance. You can move the larger hose assembly around somewhat and see the areas of concern better. The only area that the clearance is tight on my car is the left side. The close-up picture (using a mirror from the back side) shows it has just enough clearance but not much. I may move the abrasion sleeve a little, probably rotate the clamp a little to help increase the clearance gap. I will keep an eye on it and if necessary, add some more abrasion sleeve material.

There you go. The abrasion sleeve on your car isn't in the correct position to stop one of those clamps.
Old 08-28-2023, 05:21 PM   #12
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
You would think they would’ve taken the effort to position the clamps, so the ears aren’t facing straight at the line below it
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:30 PM   #13
Caerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
There you go. The abrasion sleeve on your car isn't in the correct position to stop one of those clamps.
In the mean time, I slide the abrasion sleeve to the right (rubber hose with zip tie) down towards the kink in the metal tube, so it is directly placed where the hose clamp is. Even then, I have ample clearance between the hose clamp and the abrasion sleeve. I did not attempt yet to rotate the metal hose clamp, but not easy to get to.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:36 PM   #14
triggerjerk

I rotated the zip tie but the abrasion sleeve is still out of position.
The metal pipe shows some scratches too.
Are there any kinds of anti abrasion sleeves that can be pushed in place over the coolant hose?
EDIT: i may just split and ziptie some rubber fuel line hose onto the hard line.
Attached Images

Last edited by triggerjerk; 08-28-2023 at 06:56 PM.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote