Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #43
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...4433357?c=az0x

This is the one for the Camaro SS not the blackwing, but they are pretty much the same. I don't think one is going to really outperform the other by much.
I believe those are identical to the ones that are already on my ZL1 from the factory...the blackwing ones look much larger.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:51 PM   #44
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddrz View Post
https://www.davisgmpartsstore.ca/oem...ector-85536980

Brake Cooling System
Control Arm Deflector Corvette CT5V Blackwing - GM - 85536981
Control Arm Deflector Corvette CT5V Blackwing - GM - 85536980
Rotor Shields Left - SS Track - GM -23385146
Rotor Shields Right - SS Track - GM -23385147
I can't order from canada.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:21 PM   #45
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
I just went with these because I couldn’t decide what to use.
Attached Images

synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:17 PM   #46
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
Oooooo, where you get that from? Thats looks nice!
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 09:18 AM   #47
synolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimarshall View Post
Oooooo, where you get that from? Thats looks nice!
RM motorwerks
Old 06-23-2023, 05:24 AM   #48
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
I just went with these because I couldn’t decide what to use.
Please report back how these work on track. Garage Therapy guys had a similar setup and there were some issues, like tire rubbing the hose at full lock, not enough air getting to the rotor causing reduced cooling.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:47 PM   #49
synolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Please report back how these work on track. Garage Therapy guys had a similar setup and there were some issues, like tire rubbing the hose at full lock, not enough air getting to the rotor causing reduced cooling.
will do
Old 06-26-2023, 06:48 AM   #50
VaporPressure

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
I just installed those brake ducts from rm motorwerks.

Previously with the stock pads and larger SS1LE deflectors (running advanced group pace), I was getting glazing/deposits leading to a lot of vibration under braking. This was despite efforts not to heat the brakes too aggressively, longer cool down, etc.

I can't really speak to how the ducts work with stock pads because I switched to Ferodo DS1.11 at the same time. But overall the braking system is much improved for me based on my first 3-day event. No issues with heat whatsoever after 95-105 degree heat, on a track with a 140 to 60 braking zone, 20 min sessions, on slicks. I had a lot more confidence in the brakes (a lot of this had to do with the pad, but since it generates more heat I felt like the ducting system was probably a good purchase as well).

Downside is that they do rub a little at full lock. I just tried to stay a little under full lock in the paddock, and it worked totally fine as far as I can tell. There's a few situations where you're making a 3-point turn where you'd otherwise have been fine, but not often. I don't drive the camaro much in town, so it is worth the inconvenience to me. Another downside is that it becomes difficult to keep the deflectors - however if you spend some time cutting the deflectors, you can keep the bottom half of the deflector installed, and get a little more air scooped from under the car, directed at the face of the rotor (not sure how much this helps). Anyway, my understanding is that the air directed into the center of the rotor by the duct is what you really want. In that sense, the design is really nice (I can only speak to ZL1 1LE strut) - everything fit well and the opening of the duct in relation to the center of the rotor seems just about perfect.

I'll try to remember to update if any issues pop up with longer-term experience.
VaporPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #51
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
More info from 1 supplier on the Blackwing ducts:

85536980 and 85536981 backordered with an estimated date of 07/04/2023 - 07/11/2023

All the Camaro guys buying all the inventory, haha
Old 06-26-2023, 03:59 PM   #52
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPressure View Post
I just installed those brake ducts from rm motorwerks.

Previously with the stock pads and larger SS1LE deflectors (running advanced group pace), I was getting glazing/deposits leading to a lot of vibration under braking. This was despite efforts not to heat the brakes too aggressively, longer cool down, etc.

I can't really speak to how the ducts work with stock pads because I switched to Ferodo DS1.11 at the same time. But overall the braking system is much improved for me based on my first 3-day event. No issues with heat whatsoever after 95-105 degree heat, on a track with a 140 to 60 braking zone, 20 min sessions, on slicks. I had a lot more confidence in the brakes (a lot of this had to do with the pad, but since it generates more heat I felt like the ducting system was probably a good purchase as well).

Downside is that they do rub a little at full lock. I just tried to stay a little under full lock in the paddock, and it worked totally fine as far as I can tell. There's a few situations where you're making a 3-point turn where you'd otherwise have been fine, but not often. I don't drive the camaro much in town, so it is worth the inconvenience to me. Another downside is that it becomes difficult to keep the deflectors - however if you spend some time cutting the deflectors, you can keep the bottom half of the deflector installed, and get a little more air scooped from under the car, directed at the face of the rotor (not sure how much this helps). Anyway, my understanding is that the air directed into the center of the rotor by the duct is what you really want. In that sense, the design is really nice (I can only speak to ZL1 1LE strut) - everything fit well and the opening of the duct in relation to the center of the rotor seems just about perfect.

I'll try to remember to update if any issues pop up with longer-term experience.
To cool the rotor, yes - what you want is air directed towards the inside of the center of the hat so that it can make its way through the rotor cooling fins.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote