Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-20-2023, 01:40 PM   #561
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
And look where it got them. Dead last in sales and now the Camaro is to be cancelled. GM seems to ignore the competition.
The issue with sales of the Camaro isn't because GM never added 5hp more in 2022, or whatever...

It's because the car lacks space that the average person wants [but also rarely uses]. Admittedly, the trunk opening is strange
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 02:02 PM   #562
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
The issue with sales of the Camaro isn't because GM never added 5hp more in 2022, or whatever...

It's because the car lacks space that the average person wants [but also rarely uses]. Admittedly, the trunk opening is strange
I think that's an issue which was overblown by the media and I'm not sure consumers cared all that much. The real reason is they never marketed the Camaro. At all. They let it be a niche, enthusiast car only.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 06:45 PM   #563
Kh36

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS
2023 Le-Mans Camaro Race Car

There was a picture posted of the 2023 Le-Mans Camaro race Car with LED head lights that look like the retro 1969 sliding headlights. Might be an indication of what the 2024 CE front bumper might look like.
Attached Images

Kh36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:29 PM   #564
mRahmani

Drives: ‘23 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
I think that's an issue which was overblown by the media and I'm not sure consumers cared all that much. The real reason is they never marketed the Camaro. At all. They let it be a niche, enthusiast car only.
Nah, I love my car but it is useless at daily transportation. If you’re a single guy it’s probably fine but I have a 6 and 8 year old. They love the car but it is tight inside, and the trunk opening is a joke. Mustang and Challenger are both much more usable every day.

GM made the same mistake with the 4th gens. It doesn’t matter if your car is better in every performance metric if the space and ergonomics suck, John Q. Public ain’t gonna buy it.
mRahmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:42 PM   #565
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mRahmani View Post
Nah, I love my car but it is useless at daily transportation. If you’re a single guy it’s probably fine but I have a 6 and 8 year old. They love the car but it is tight inside, and the trunk opening is a joke. Mustang and Challenger are both much more usable every day.

GM made the same mistake with the 4th gens. It doesn’t matter if your car is better in every performance metric if the space and ergonomics suck, John Q. Public ain’t gonna buy it.
I have a 5th gen so slightly more space but Ive used the car as a daily driver for 11 years. Maybe yours is a toy and I'd love to have a spare Camaro, especially a 6th gen SS 1LE. But unless you need a work van, ability to tow or carpool a Camaro is fine transportation to work. My kids are 11 and 10 so trips to hockey (back seat down) or soccer are done with just one of them and if we go as a family we take the van. I think most parents in a 2 car house assume they need maximum space in each vehicle. 1 car house I couldn't justify a Camaro.

The sales numbers aren't great so it appears we don't get a 7th gen gas powered car. However Dodge is still selling enough Challengers and Chargers to make a good business case, the platform has long paid for itself, but they're going the electric route in this segment. The first to do it. The current direction for car development is towards evs so I think the Camaro would have needed to lead the segment or maybe even crush it for its production to continue. EV or gas.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:43 PM   #566
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
LOL they didn’t LET it be a niche product. They DESIGNED it to BE a niche product. That is why it hasn’t sold.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:50 PM   #567
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mRahmani View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
LOL they didn’t LET it be a niche product. They DESIGNED it to BE a niche product. That is why it hasn’t sold.
That's fine with me. It's an event when I see a 6th gen Camaro in oncoming traffic, and that's the way it should be, it's a special car, made "not for everyone". Mustangs and Challengers are a dime a dozen here, too.

As to why it has to die, being a niche product is definitely not the whole story. If it were, GM would only make one truck and one SUV, their best sellers.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:23 PM   #568

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Eight or nine years of a 6thGen Camaro is not much reason to cry over it ending. It had a good run for a lot of years. Regardless if it sold better, it would have ended anyhow. Shoud they keep building it exactly the same forever?...lol...It's not a Volkswagen. (And it's not an EV...lol) So put a fork in it, it's done.

Thank goodness they didn't turn it into something unrecognizable just to boost sales with the name Camaro.

I wish it a fond farewell, and job well done.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:46 AM   #569
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Eight or nine years of a 6thGen Camaro is not much reason to cry over it ending. It had a good run for a lot of years. Regardless if it sold better, it would have ended anyhow. Shoud they keep building it exactly the same forever?...lol...It's not a Volkswagen. (And it's not an EV...lol) So put a fork in it, it's done.

Thank goodness they didn't turn it into something unrecognizable just to boost sales with the name Camaro.

I wish it a fond farewell, and job well done.

That...!
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:21 AM   #570
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
If they didn't care about sales why the 2020 front end refresh?
Why the LT1 model?
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:49 AM   #571
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:

I don't believe it was designed to be a niche product. If that were the case I don't think there would be so many different trim levels. They came out with the LT1 in 2020/21 to try to boost sales. A bare bones V8 model.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:53 AM   #572
sactownbwoy

I daily my Camaro, my wife has a Telluride if we are hauling the whole family, 4 kids, 16, 13, 13, 11. If it is just me or any of the kids, I'm driving my car. Like you said, I don't need maximum space in all my vehicles. I have a motorcycle too, that I ride, but the Camaro is my daily and fun car.

Personally, I love the styling of a Challenger and want to have one in the garage along with a Mustang. I like all three and am not a brand loyalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
I have a 5th gen so slightly more space but Ive used the car as a daily driver for 11 years. Maybe yours is a toy and I'd love to have a spare Camaro, especially a 6th gen SS 1LE. But unless you need a work van, ability to tow or carpool a Camaro is fine transportation to work. My kids are 11 and 10 so trips to hockey (back seat down) or soccer are done with just one of them and if we go as a family we take the van. I think most parents in a 2 car house assume they need maximum space in each vehicle. 1 car house I couldn't justify a Camaro.

The sales numbers aren't great so it appears we don't get a 7th gen gas powered car. However Dodge is still selling enough Challengers and Chargers to make a good business case, the platform has long paid for itself, but they're going the electric route in this segment. The first to do it. The current direction for car development is towards evs so I think the Camaro would have needed to lead the segment or maybe even crush it for its production to continue. EV or gas.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:09 AM   #573
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sactownbwoy View Post
I don't believe it was designed to be a niche product. If that were the case I don't think there would be so many different trim levels. They came out with the LT1 in 2020/21 to try to boost sales. A bare bones V8 model.

Well, cars in general are niche in the NA market they typically sale at about 27% of all sales vs trucks and SUVs/CUVs. Performance coupes are a niche within that niche, then gm took Camaro performance and min/max'd it with the DD capabilities which didn't align it well with the few "performance" car buyers that also want some of the other side of that scale.
Old 04-21-2023, 12:26 PM   #574
sactownbwoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Well, cars in general are niche in the NA market they typically sale at about 27% of all sales vs trucks and SUVs/CUVs. Performance coupes are a niche within that niche, then gm took Camaro performance and min/max'd it with the DD capabilities which didn't align it well with the few "performance" car buyers that also want some of the other side of that scale.

That is true. GM seems to care more about the Corvette than they do the Camaro.