Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 10-23-2022, 12:16 AM   #1
Guntimer

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I gotta ask..

Hey everyone,

Proud owner of a new 2022 2SS 1LE, and I am absolutely loving it. One thing I am NOT quite loving is the recaro seats. I am coming from a fully loaded Challenger, so obviously less space, but even the aggressive bolstering in the Challenger was not as hard and rigid as the Recaro seats in the Camaro.

Does anyone know where I can buy some OEM 2SS seats? I did some googling and I seem to be having a hard time finding some on the official parts sites. Do you all think it's worth it? I really do love the car. I don't mind all the space lost, but the bolstering is so firm/rigid, it doesn't feel wonderful for me as a broad shouldered guy.

Thanks for any advice/help!
Guntimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:52 AM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Congrats on your new beast, Guntimer The "common wisdom" here is that these 1LE Recaro seats break in somewhat over time, so it's worth giving them a few thousand miles before ditching them.

If you decide not to keep them, you will easily find someone willing to trade their standard 2SS seats with you, because the Recaros are considered superior for a tighter and sportier car like the Camaro, generally speaking. Heck, even I will consider a trade and paying you a reasonable amount if you live close enough

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:46 PM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Recaro's have three stages of life, IMHO.

I'm 6'4" and 240lbs...YMMV

New - Wow, these seats are very form fitting and kinda tight

1-3 years - I love these seats! Comfy on long trips, very supportive for AutoX and Track.

3+ years - I can barely hold myself in place now when on track. Need race seat. These suck for fun driving.

I agree, the Recaro's 'break in' a bit and get much more comfortable.

And then either I got much faster after driving the car a lot (I did) and/or the seats kept 'breaking in' because now feel like I'm flopping all over the place in them when on track.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 08:42 PM   #4
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
These seats will not hold you during high-G stuff, but they do an admirable job of trying IMO. They are a compromise that is trying to be somewhat aggressive for holding you in the freaking seat while doing high-G stuff. I find them to be adequate most of the time though and for the racing they still do pretty well, I'm 165lbs though. If you are fat, you might need some harnesses/racing seats.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 08:44 PM   #5
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Recaro's have three stages of life, IMHO.

3+ years - I can barely hold myself in place now when on track. Need race seat. These suck for fun driving..

I think given how incredibly capable the car is, it's hard to put in seats that can really take advantage of that...and not compromise daily driving. We can seriously use GT3 RS-type seats in this car with the G-forces it can achieve, but those would obviously suck for a lot of day-to-day stuff. Tough compromise.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:07 PM   #6
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
If the bottom bolster is too narrow, then you can just push down on the door side bolster and it will bend out a tad. Its only an arc'd piece of small metal round bar holding that bolster in shape. You can gain some width on the seat bottom bolster by pushing that down. It will bend ever so slightly or flatten if you will. That helped me a ton.

The back bolstering I dont know. Those are not bad for me. The bottom side bolster were digging into my thighs/side of my legs and it was painful. Now its much better. And the more I drive the car, the more I really like them. Until I sit in an SS and realize how much more room your ass gets in a normal seat... If they werent such a huge part of the package, I would sell them off or trade them for SS seats and not look back. But thats going to KILL the resale if I ever sell my ZL1. Everyone loves the look of them and if you are smaller, they are just about as comfortable as a seat can be.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 11:30 PM   #7
Guntimer

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
If you are fat, you might need some harnesses/racing seats.
Not sure why you felt this part was necessary. Broad shoulders and wider bodies does not always = fatness or obesity.

Anyway, to everyone else: I’ll try them out for the first 5K-7K miles and see if my opinion changes. I’ll admit, even in the first 1500 miles, they have already gotten more comfortable. Thanks for the advice!
Guntimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:31 PM   #8
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I noticed the difference when I went from my 2016 SS to my 2018 SS 1LE. Definitely firmer. I haven't really noticed any break in, but I guess I'm on the average or small size and may not be putting enough weight on them to wear them in.

After 60,000+ miles I still love these seats.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 02:35 PM   #9
tarmelter

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE
I've logged 8000 miles on my 1LE and the seats are a little more comfortable, but still not that great. It all depends on your body type. I'm 6' 245lbs but I body build. I'm not fat, but I am wide. That's where the seats can be uncomfortable on long rides. Anything over an hour and I'm finding my left outer thigh and lat getting a little sore from rubbing. I do think they are very good seats. If I were a little smaller they'd be perfect.