Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-06-2019, 06:34 AM   #1
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Wax over Expel

I am planning on doing the Expel on my ZL1. Can or should you use wax after it has been applied? Does applying any type of wax make any difference?
Thanks for any responses.

Dave
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
wax, probably not it could discolor it eventually. I had some Ziebart stuff that I waxed and had it removed because of the crappy install and have a real guy do it using suntech, and you can tell it just yellowed like crazy. So I'd steer clear of that. I however, use Carpro Si02 stuff on it and seems to do just fine. Granted, you won't get the longevity like wax, but its safer to put on that plastic.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Xpel recommends their own sealant… See their website.

That being said, their FAQ section shows that any wax sealant or coating can be used.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Its fine ive polished and sealed over it. It gets a lot of dirt in the seams where the pieces meet. (look above the headlight to the right.) Id say id cover those seams with a narrow piece of tape before waxing so none of it gets in there and dries but I'm not that fanatical.

I got the xpel because I do track the car a few times a year and take a lot of road trips and it seems to really do the job. Just wipe bugs or whatever off with a spray detailer or waterless car wash.
Attached Images

Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
yeah wax will show where all your seams are as it builds up at the edges. I have my entire front, hood and rockers done in Xpel. I would stick with a top tier sealant like F11 or Opti-Seal
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
Smokin19

Thanks to all for the tips.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
My experience:
I have used collinite 845 and Meguiar's Ultimate liquid, Fast finish, Black fire Crystal Seal, Meguiar's Paint Protect(not worth trying, but has red dye), and Hybrid ceramic(blue dye). None of it has discolored it. And just mind the edges when you wash and nothing will build up. I have three cars with PPF currently. No issues. Although that does show I haven't really ever used any pure natural waxes on it.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:26 AM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
+1 for spray-n-wipe sealants on PPF: Carpro Reload, Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant, etc. A little goes a long way and almost too easy to use. Many can even be applied to a wet car to use as a drying aid.

Traditional liquid/paste wax is way too much work for no more benefit. While a white car will hide white wax residues better, why do more work? And stay away from using anything with abrasives on a top-shelf PPF like Xpel Ultimate, as it would just wear down the thin self-healing top layer of the film, aging and degrading the self-healing properties that much faster.

Read the documents in Glen's signature here.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #9
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #10
Jersey devil

Drives: '17 Z06
Looks as though XPel came out with there own brand of dealer. Wonder how it compares to the others:

XPEL FUSION PLUS Ceramic Coating is a nano ceramic clear liquid coating that can be applied to paint, glass, vinyl and paint protection films, which provides a fortified layer of vehicle protection. Bonding at a molecular level, the ceramic coating seals and protects vehicle surfaces from environmental contaminants, including pollutants, tree sap and insect acids. XPEL FUSION PLUS shields against harmful UV rays and corrosion. In fact, it helps to reduce the amount of oxidation, which can result in dull, fading paint.

Using a hydrophobic formula, XPEL FUSION PLUS boasts self-cleaning properties to repel water, dirt and grime. It is scratch-resistant and helps protect against swirl marks and minor wash scratches to maintain a sleek, high-gloss finish.

https://youtu.be/XwOwxLUkNSI
Jersey devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #11
Smokin19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey devil View Post
Looks as though XPel came out with there own brand of dealer. Wonder how it compares to the others:

XPEL FUSION PLUS Ceramic Coating is a nano ceramic clear liquid coating that can be applied to paint, glass, vinyl and paint protection films, which provides a fortified layer of vehicle protection. Bonding at a molecular level, the ceramic coating seals and protects vehicle surfaces from environmental contaminants, including pollutants, tree sap and insect acids. XPEL FUSION PLUS shields against harmful UV rays and corrosion. In fact, it helps to reduce the amount of oxidation, which can result in dull, fading paint.

Using a hydrophobic formula, XPEL FUSION PLUS boasts self-cleaning properties to repel water, dirt and grime. It is scratch-resistant and helps protect against swirl marks and minor wash scratches to maintain a sleek, high-gloss finish.

So many products coming out, it's getting hard to make a decision on what to get done. But, then more is better right?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
Jersey devil

Unless you get paralysis thru analysis.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #13
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey devil View Post

I'll let you guys know in a few days, the shop I work at is an Xpel dealer, we're trying the ceramic coating out today to see if it's better than Ceramic Pro
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #14
Jersey devil

Thanks bud, should be interesting