Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 01-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
JGiovando

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE HBM
Difficulty closing hood

From the day I first brought this car home and the very first time I popped the hood and tried to close it, I discovered I had to apply significant pressure directed slightly towards the passenger side and slam the hood in order for it to close. Always bothered me.
Today a light bulb went off....the latch assembly has 2 bolts. Figured I'd loosen them and try to raise the assembly.....voila - bumped it an 1/8" to maybe 3/16" and it now closes perfectly from a 5 inch drop. No pressure, no slam required.
Just off from the factory and I didn't know any better until today after owning the car for 4 months. I realize many would already know this or realize it sooner. Just posting as it might help someone like myself.
Pretty damn happy with my hood now though!
JGiovando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Never really bothered me but I had the same experience. It is something I might try since it works that well. Thanks for posting
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
oh....thanks, I might try this.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:25 AM   #4
LACamaro7

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Thumbs up Thank you!

Deceptively simple fix and worked flawlessly, thank you!! The dealer and a 3rd party mechanic both gave me the same line of BS - that it's the way the hood was designed and you just have to slam it. Loosened two bolts, raised it ~1/8" and it closes from 4" above or you can gently let it drop into the safety catch and just press down lightly with one finger now. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGiovando View Post
From the day I first brought this car home and the very first time I popped the hood and tried to close it, I discovered I had to apply significant pressure directed slightly towards the passenger side and slam the hood in order for it to close. Always bothered me.
Today a light bulb went off....the latch assembly has 2 bolts. Figured I'd loosen them and try to raise the assembly.....voila - bumped it an 1/8" to maybe 3/16" and it now closes perfectly from a 5 inch drop. No pressure, no slam required.
Just off from the factory and I didn't know any better until today after owning the car for 4 months. I realize many would already know this or realize it sooner. Just posting as it might help someone like myself.
LACamaro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:37 AM   #5
Melon

Drives: '23 1LE, '18 Canyon, '87 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGiovando View Post
GM gonna GM.
Melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #6
Dragon08

Drives: 2020 1LE
Adjusting the hood latch the way you did is exactly what the dealer should have done for you. Sounds like you got it just right. Double check by pushing down on the nose of the hood to make sure the latch is secure, but not loose. You dont want it to jiggle or rattle at all when pushing down.

Being a safety item, does anyone know the torque specs for the latch bolts for the future visitors?
Dragon08 is offline   Reply With Quote