#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #29
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Good lord, twice a year? Thankfully, I would only ‘have’ to drive it on Saturdays, Sunday’s and for errands. I have a work vehicle and gas card so right now I pay like maybe $20 a MONTH for my V6 lol. I’ve spent like $100 since November on gas.

The ZL1 might be too much car for me. I might as well just buy a Corvette Stingray if it’s a Stingray vs a 2SS. Corvettes have always been a dream of mine since I was a little kid but so has the ZL1. But damn if you’re spending 60K, I don’t even know anymore!
If you're only driving it on the weekends, then you can run the same set of tires for a lot longer than that. Mine is a weekend/nice weather toy and I'm about a year into the GY's and there is plenty of meat left on them at 4k miles.

The Michelins should last you a couple years...figure 20k miles or so of street driving on them? maybe more? depends on how hard you use them (drag racing, street racing, burnouts, track time, etc).

Go test drive a ZL1 and you'll know. It's definitely not a budget car but some costs can be managed pretty well with how often you'll be driving it.

If it's your DD and you drag race, track it, etc on the weekends, your costs are not going to be reasonable for most people.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #30
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Good lord, twice a year? Thankfully, I would only ‘have’ to drive it on Saturdays, Sunday’s and for errands. I have a work vehicle and gas card so right now I pay like maybe $20 a MONTH for my V6 lol. I’ve spent like $100 since November on gas.

The ZL1 might be too much car for me. I might as well just buy a Corvette Stingray if it’s a Stingray vs a 2SS. Corvettes have always been a dream of mine since I was a little kid but so has the ZL1. But damn if you’re spending 60K, I don’t even know anymore!
My 17 Mistress is a weekend car. 6k miles in 20mos. I spend $50/month in gas and will have to replace the OEM the tires before her 2nd bday this summer.

So yeah as a DD she would be easily 4x the spend.

As to traction... below 70F it's very easy to spin the tires. Above 80F not so much.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #31
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Cool, thanks everyone. There’s a few used around town, I’m going to go test drive. If I decide I don’t need it I may snag a 2SS now while they’re under 40K brand new.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #32
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Cool, thanks everyone. There’s a few used around town, I’m going to go test drive. If I decide I don’t need it I may snag a 2SS now while they’re under 40K brand new.
Have fun!
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #33
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Toyo R888R's will give you much better traction. They hum a little but have great grip and when they still have tread on them won't spin at 50mph unless it's really cold and seem to hook up well from a dig as well. I ran them on my Gen5 Z and I have them on my Gen6 Z.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #34
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
No I rarely floor it, that’s more of a “oh look, an empty road and I want to have a little fun and hear the engine” thing. Warmer temps? Hmm. So warmer temps being above 50? 60? Curious how many months of the year this would be hard to drive in Colorado. From November to April it’s rarely above 50. That would suck if I couldn’t take it out in the winter on dry roads and drive it.
Honestly, as long as you aren't on the factory OEM tires, the car handles pretty well in the cold temps. The biggest thing is to understand the factory tires and the Michelin PS4S tires are designed purely for summer driving. The PS4S can be driven in colder temps than the GY tires, but you really don't want to be driving it below 35-40 degrees safely. It does have a snow mode built into the car and with proper tires handles some snow just fine, albeit it likes to spin the wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Changing the tires to a PS4S would do wonders for this car on the street in a wider temperature range. That's where i'm going next...the GY's just aren't the best choice for DD.
For DD use, the PS4S is a great tire, but they are still prone to cracking below freezing. And the factory tires are even worse when it comes to that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Yep. Especially if daily driven.

$1600+ for a set of PS4S 2x/year .... $50/week in gas... The ZL1 is not a small wallet car.
I'm sorry but that's just wrong. I daily drive mine (when it's above 40 degrees out) and I've got about 12k on it since Dec 2017. I usually get about 275 miles a tank when I drive it smartly. I was generally filling it up about 3x a month. I'm still on my first set of PS4S's, and they have about 6k on them...still look/ride brand new..

The tires are expensive though, and there are cheaper tires to run than the PS4S....but if you want to DD and not really track focus it... I'd highly recommend them..
Old 03-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #35
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
This thread is scaring me away from a ZL1...haha if traction is that hard to come by and hard to drive on the street what’s the point of having a car I won’t track?

All it really needs at stock power is a set of trip 8 r's so. That will cure all. Go with a 315 rear. Done. Go have fun.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #36
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Trade for a SS 1LE. While not as exciting up top, its power levels are much more accessible for a street driven car. In warm weather, it will put all the power down. It's the goldilocks Camaro
First, big fan of the SS 1LE. It just wasn't on my radar when I first started looking. Hell, a Camaro wasn't even on my list. I test drove a Chally Hellcat and the new Mustang GT. So while at the Ford dealership, I saw a GT350 and fell in lust. But, at the time, dealerships wouldn't come down on the price so I ended up buying a ZL1...best decision I could have made.

BTW, the ZL1 is not my daily driver...mainly used for good weather weekend driving. I really would like to get into tracking it a few times a year to test the limits.
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #37
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post

I'm sorry but that's just wrong.
The PS4S will last longer than the stock Goodyears, so you can't compare, really. I've replaced my OEM's twice in one year, so I think he's right on the money.

Although when I was driving mine every day I was going through at least $100-150 in gas a week, but I think the gas consumption is going to vary a bit from person to person.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #38
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe944 View Post
The PS4S will last longer than the stock Goodyears, so you can't compare, really. I've replaced my OEM's twice in one year, so I think he's right on the money.

Although when I was driving mine every day I was going through at least $100-150 in gas a week, but I think the gas consumption is going to vary a bit from person to person.

He was saying you'd need two sets of PS4S's in a year...and unless you've got more burnouts than sense on the brain, they should last at least a year as a DD...

If you're only driving it on the weekends, it would last even longer...

The OEM tires on the other hand are really not meant for DD use and they do wear out quickly..
Old 03-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #39
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
This thread is scaring me away from a ZL1...haha if traction is that hard to come by and hard to drive on the street what’s the point of having a car I won’t track?
I have driven my ZL1 in the snow. No issues. It really is getting used to what you can, and can't do with the throttle. The car handles great if you don't drive it like a Miata with the gas always to the floor.

Of course, it helps that I autox the thing. But even if you don't, most people will get a sense for when it would let loose pretty quickly. You can use all of the throttle on the highway for example. You can't on slow tight turns or when you are starting from a stop but not pointed straight.

I have a hard time spinning in on the road now since I have spun it in Autox and now know what I can get away with and what I can't get away with. No surprise traction loss now. Just 650 HP of pure fun.

ps. Don't loan it to a friend who is going to just floor it. At least don't loan it if there are trees around.
Attached Images

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #40
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
I don’t have any problem with the stock TC letting the tires blow off. I run Bridgestone RE980AS tires, and the default TC seems to meter power in a straight line and on corner exits WFO well enough for me.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #41
~Jb

Drives: 2018 ZLE
The ZLE is definitely the first car I've owned that legitimately scares me. There has been a few times (still breaking the car in) the pucker factor was turned up to eleven with only 50-60% throttle. I always warm the 3R tires, but like others have said this car just has an amazing amount of power.

Still mind-blowing to me that it's not a requirement for people to attend a high-performance driving school before owning high horsepower cars like these.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #42
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Drag radial or 888Rs.

Hockeylover, obviously I read your posts and to me it seems you’d be better suited to a 2SS with the mag ride and ZL1 spoiler and splitter. I would personally go with a SS 1LE if you think 650hp is too much.
I plan on using all 650 when my car arrives and very often too. These ZL1s are built to be driven and driven hard. But for someone whose highest hp car is 335, I think you would be in heaven with an SS and you would save yourself a bunch of money. Just my opinion. You do what your gut says.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best acceleration, everyday traction, put down power, wheel spin