Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
JLeslie

Drives: 2018 White ZL1
Putting Traction Down in Everyday Driving

Recently purchased 2018 ZL1 6 speed. At times during my everyday driving, I want to get down on the power/acceleration, and use some of that 650 hp. Typically in sport mode and the TC in default mode. Getting on it causes me to spin out more than I want, and wish I could put that power down, rather than spin the wheels. I would have thought traction control in basic setting would intervene to give me all I can get with out breaking traction. Thought of using ice/snow TC setting to increase intervention, so at least when I get on it, it will give everything without side spin. Any input? Am I missing something or is everyone burning up those soft tires when wanting to get on it?
JLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
First of all, yes, burning out the tires is extremely easy in this car.

I have the back tires air to 29psi so they are not too hard. When I’m cruising around doing pulls in Mexico, I have them aired to 24-26 psi and it helps a little. Other than that you will need to peddle it.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #3
newchevyman

Drives: 2017 Camero ZL1
I recently bought BMRs rear lockout kit in hopes to help with this. It's on backorder currently but will update once I get it installed.
2007 Z06 H/C/I/E Half Mile - 169 MPH. Sold.
newchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #4
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeslie View Post
Recently purchased 2018 ZL1 6 speed. At times during my everyday driving, I want to get down on the power/acceleration, and use some of that 650 hp. Typically in sport mode and the TC in default mode. Getting on it causes me to spin out more than I want, and wish I could put that power down, rather than spin the wheels. I would have thought traction control in basic setting would intervene to give me all I can get with out breaking traction. Thought of using ice/snow TC setting to increase intervention, so at least when I get on it, it will give everything without side spin. Any input? Am I missing something or is everyone burning up those soft tires when wanting to get on it?
Good Luck...(from the movie 'Taken').

This car has so much torque it's nearly impossible to get traction from a dig. Even more so if you're modded like me. I've tried with all the safety nannies off (too scary).

Only advice I can give is make sure the car is pointed straight with all safety nannies 'ON' if you're going to punch it from a dig; even then it still can get side ways.

Quick story: I was leaving McDonald's one day and was trying to I make a left into the intersection. Traffic was coming so I was trying to just punch it a little to get into the turning lane to wait for traffic to go by. I guess I gave it too much gas because she got side ways quick. I could feel the safety nannies cutting the throttle but I still had to wrestle control. I guess people thought I was trying to show out but I wasn't. I also used to take the safety nannies off all the time now I don't.

I'm in for suggestions as well.
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #5
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent K View Post

This car has so much torque it's nearly impossible to get traction from a dig. Even more so if you're modded like me. I've tried with all the safety nannies off (too scary).

Only advice I can give is make sure the car is pointed straight with all safety nannies 'ON' if you're going to punch it from a dig; even then it still can get side ways.

Quick story: I was leaving McDonald's one day and was trying to I make a left into the intersection. Traffic was coming so I was trying to just punch it a little to get into the turning lane to wait for traffic to go by. I guess I gave it too much gas because she got side ways quick. I could feel the safety nannies cutting the throttle but I still had to wrestle control. I guess people thought I was trying to show out but I wasn't. I also used to take the safety nannies off all the time now I don't.

Trade for a SS 1LE. While not as exciting up top, its power levels are much more accessible for a street driven car. In warm weather, it will put all the power down. It's the goldilocks Camaro

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Modern high HP cars come with way more power than available traction for most street driven scenerios. This is where driver skill “helps” but doesn’t change the simple fact of physics....power, weight, contact patch, surface condition, tire adhesion etc. A 650HP car can easily overpower any road at any normal traffic speed.

Sometimes when I punch it at like 50 and the car momentarily steps out before TC rights the ship I wonder what others reactions in the vicinity must be thinking lol. Most people probably don’t even realize a car has the power to do that.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
Cake's Z

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Trade for a SS 1LE. While not as exciting up top, its power levels are much more accessible for a street driven car. In warm weather, it will put all the power down. It's the goldilocks Camaro

Hahahahah! I defiantly wouldn’t trade in my Z! I get what you are saying but my Zl1 is my daily/weekend warrior and I can manage just fine.
2015 TRD Tundra (traded)
2014 Subaru WRX (traded)
2000 Z28 (sold)
1970 GMC 1500 (stolen)
2017 YXZ1000 (sold)
Cake's Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #8
Pepsiguru

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent K View Post

OK I found this kinda funny
I floored my ZL1 out of a curve from a stop. Traction control kicked in so fast I started laughing my ass off.

I love this car

Yes I'm a ZL1 newbie but so much fun
Pepsiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Just the opposite for me. Leave the nannies on and I dont think I have ever lost traction. Nor have I kicked it sideways.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #10
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
This thread is scaring me away from a ZL1...haha if traction is that hard to come by and hard to drive on the street what’s the point of having a car I won’t track?
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
This thread is scaring me away from a ZL1...haha if traction is that hard to come by and hard to drive on the street what’s the point of having a car I won’t track?
it's basically a middle finger on four wheels
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #12
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
it's basically a middle finger on four wheels
Lol this is a car I plan on keeping for a long time. But I’ve never driven anything over 335 horsepower. If I can’t drive this comfortably and casually I might just need to settle for a SS and save 15K.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #13
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
It really isn't as bad as it sounds. I've daily driven mine for the most part over the last year. Honestly, the factory tires are only good for dry roads... and even then, at warmer temps..

Unless you're flooring it every time...you'll be just fine..
Old 03-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #14
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Hah. Well, that's easy to say in an LT. As stated, the Z is not for everyone, and that much hp is difficult to harness from a dig. The traction issue is mostly from a dig, not on a track (unless it's cold). Solution: 17's and mastery of your vehicle...whatever it is. Or keep it above 80'.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best acceleration, everyday traction, put down power, wheel spin