Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 PM   #1
ScaryFatKidGT

Drives: NGM SS 1LE
Pilot Sport 4S vs the factory Supercar R3's

So the Super Sports and Pilot Sport 4S are just about the hands down best tire for anything sporty that gets driven a lot, they are expensive but last about twice to 50% longer and compete with a lot of brand extreme performance tires in performance I have stuck with them and recommend them a lot. I don't even know why they still make the Pilot Sport 2/3/4...

Now the Goodyears Chevy uses on the Camaros are odd, first, for whatever reason Michelin didn't think the Camaro was cool enough to source tires for even tho they use them on the vette... the vette gets Sport 4S's and Sport Cups II's... Maybe they couldn't make enough idk. So they had to turn to someone else and I guess good year turned up, they offered the regular Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, the F1 super car 3 and 3R.

So idk how much better the super car is than the asymmetric or the 3R than the 3 but I'm assuming the 3R is more like a Sport Cup but has anyone compared the Pilot Sport 4S to the Super car 3? Would you wind up with a tire just as grippy but that lasted longer?
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I doubt that the PS4S would be close to the SC3 on your car for dry performance. Standing water is probably the only performance parameter that it would win at.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
kjchristopher

Drives: 911SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
I doubt that the PS4S would be close to the SC3 on your car for dry performance. Standing water is probably the only performance parameter that it would win at.
Reported experiences on this site (OP should try a search) and my own personal experience says they are not far off dry performance - I would definitely call it close.
kjchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
For the average driver. Sure it would be hard to tell the performance difference. We all think we are hardcore racers

No one . And that's No One uses PS4 for the track that is a regular track rat. But they do keep using the supercar3 because it flat out performs.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
I'm debating in the PS4S or the supercar 3. For the price I'm probably going with goodyears since I don't think I would notice the performance difference. About $450 cheaper for the goodyears and they have $100-$200 rebate also. Is one compound a lot stickier than the other?
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchristopher View Post
Reported experiences on this site (OP should try a search) and my own personal experience says they are not far off dry performance - I would definitely call it close.
That doesn't sound like anything that I've seen (other reports). If your butt g-meter thinks the PS4S is close to the SC3, that's cool, but I remain skeptical. Seems to me that the Michelin that compares to the Goodyear SC3 is the Sport Cup 2, which has a much softer compound than a PS4S does. Treadwear 180 compared to 300, much different tires. I do have some PS4S tires but alas my car is not a 1LE. To me they are just ok street tires.

OP did not state what they want to do with the car and obviously this affects what you're going to like or not like. I think the PS4S is a fine daily driver street tire. However if doing track days then I think the SC3 will beat it handily, just from what I've seen with the SC3s, they just work really well on this car.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
Now the Goodyears Chevy uses on the Camaros are odd, first, for whatever reason Michelin didn't think the Camaro was cool enough to source tires for even tho they use them on the vette... the vette gets Sport 4S's and Sport Cups II's... Maybe they couldn't make enough idk. So they had to turn to someone else and I guess good year turned up, they offered the regular Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, the F1 super car 3 and 3R.
Just to clear up any confusion, the tire supplier doesn't directly decide what car they want to put tires on. It's more up to GM which tires go on which cars based on what the suppliers can offer against what they want out of a specific car and at what price point. Sure, the tire supplier can provide support for dirt cheap if they really want to support one type of platform, but that's pretty unlikely. In this case, I'd bet GY was the supplier that came to the table with the most attractive offer to GM, which included developing the SC3 and SC3R specifically for the 6th gen Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzySS View Post
I'm debating in the PS4S or the supercar 3. For the price I'm probably going with goodyears since I don't think I would notice the performance difference. About $450 cheaper for the goodyears and they have $100-$200 rebate also. Is one compound a lot stickier than the other?
What are you trying to accomplish with the car? If you're planning to spend significant time at the track and are interested in chasing lap times, the SC3 would be the tire to get between these two because it will consistently out-perform the PS4S on the track while offering decent daily driveability for street/daily use. Plus, you get the added benefit that all of the car systems (ABS, TC, ESC, etc.) were tuned specifically around that tire. Not to say these systems won't work or will experience issues with other tires, they just won't necessarily be getting the maximum performance out of the tire like then can with a SC3 when those systems are active.

If you're only planning on taking the car to the track 1-2 times per year for fun (or not to the track at all even) and are spending the rest of the time driving it daily through spring-summer-fall, the PS4S definitely won't disappoint. Sure, it can't be pushed as hard in the dry, but it's still able to be used on the track, has respectable grip in dry conditions, the wet performance is arguably better, longer life (PS4S has higher treadwear rating), and less road noise.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
kjchristopher

Drives: 911SC
I don’t rely on butt-o-meters, just data. Building and driving a national championship winning A Modified autocross car taught me to trust the data. I definitely woudn’t recommend the PS4S as a dedicated sunny track tire. It may make sense in other situations, however. We don’t know much of the OP’s intentions.
kjchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
It's pretty simple.

They are 2 separate class tires. The PS4 are Max Performance category tire, the SC3 are an Extreme Performance category tire.

For those that do not tell the difference, you are not pushing the car to it's limit. If that is the case, then it really doesn't matter what tire you choose because you are not interested in what the car is capable of or taking it to that point.

I can tell you there is a good sized delta between the two when are are talking about max grip and max sustainable lateral g's.

Goodyear made these tires SPECIFICALLY for the 1LE and their execution of them is ON POINT!!!

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

This was going to be my next post.
Nailed it.
Also take into account the SC3 is about $400 less a Set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
.............. If you're planning to spend significant time at the track and are interested in chasing lap times, the SC3 would be the tire to get between these two because it will consistently out-perform the PS4S on the track while offering decent daily drive-ability for street/daily use....................

If you're only planning on taking the car to the track 1-2 times per year for fun (or not to the track at all even) and are spending the rest of the time driving it daily through spring-summer-fall, the PS4S definitely won't disappoint. Sure, it can't be pushed as hard in the dry, but it's still able to be used on the track, has respectable grip in dry conditions, the wet performance is arguably better, longer life (PS4S has higher treadwear rating), and less road noise.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #11
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchristopher View Post
I don’t rely on butt-o-meters, just data. Building and driving a national championship winning A Modified autocross car taught me to trust the data. I definitely woudn’t recommend the PS4S as a dedicated sunny track tire. It may make sense in other situations, however. We don’t know much of the OP’s intentions.
Well if you have actual track data comparing the PS4S to the SC3 on the Camaro, why didn't you share it? You had said "not far off dry performance" and "close" which sound subjective rather than objective.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #12
ScaryFatKidGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
That doesn't sound like anything that I've seen (other reports). If your butt g-meter thinks the PS4S is close to the SC3, that's cool, but I remain skeptical. Seems to me that the Michelin that compares to the Goodyear SC3 is the Sport Cup 2, which has a much softer compound than a PS4S does. Treadwear 180 compared to 300, much different tires. I do have some PS4S tires but alas my car is not a 1LE. To me they are just ok street tires.

OP did not state what they want to do with the car and obviously this affects what you're going to like or not like. I think the PS4S is a fine daily driver street tire. However if doing track days then I think the SC3 will beat it handily, just from what I've seen with the SC3s, they just work really well on this car.
Sorry I do plan on tracking the car, the reson I was so vague is I thought people were familiar with what I was talking about but I will explain better.

On going to Goodyear I heard Chevy contacted Michelin for the Camaro after using the PSS/PS4S on the Corvette and they either said they didn't have enough production capacity or didn't think the Camaro was a highend enough car to warrant dealing with and it didn't happen, just thought that was odd.

On to the PS4S, I have Super sports on both my other cars and plan on replacing them with PS4S's, when I was looking into them they were the best hands down, they compared them to the Yoko Advan AD07/8, Kohmo Exsta XS which isn't made anymore and the RE-71R's all Extreme performance tires and the PSS was better than all of them, the Extas had more grip but were less predictable, and the other two were more responsive but had slightly less dry grip and way less in the wet and on top of that the PSS lasted twice as long, the PS4S improved on this even more so thats why I was wondering.

It appears that while the F1 Asymmetric aren't very good, and while the F1SC 3R's compete with the Sport Cups the F1SC 3's (no R) fall between the PS4S and the Sport Cup's, I just wonder how long they last.
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Pilot super sport better than a RE-71? Lol
Maybe on a highway during a downpour.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #14
ScaryFatKidGT

Quote: