Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
SteelCyclone

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1ss
1LE caliper cross reference?

Anyone know if the CTS-V or the corvette have the same calipers as the camaro 1le 6 piston? I don't care about color as I will be repainting them anyways just need to find the driver side caliper. I figure I would save some money and buy the 1LE 6 piston piece by piece instead of spending 2300 for the GM performance. I have bought everything but the driver side caliper is on back order with no eta. I have been told there are none available in the entire nation. Wondering if I could buy a CTS-V or corvette caliper has use that instead.
SteelCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Completely different brake systems - the V61LE us 12.4" rotors, V81LE is 14.3"
Old 03-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
OP has 1SS in his profile, so is that what we're comparing to? If so, SS rear calipers are the same as SS 1LE. Cadillac ATS-V and SS 1LE share calipers and rotors. CTS-V and ZL1 share brakes.

This thread has part numbers for SS 1LE and ZL1: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=10435909
Old 03-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
SteelCyclone

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Cadillac ATS-V and SS 1LE share calipers and rotors. CTS-V and ZL1 share brakes.
Thank you that's what I was looking for. I order all the parts already i'm just missing the driver front caliper but I can't order that was as it's on backorder with no eta. I will get the ATS-V driver front and I already have the passenger front 1LE caliper. Going to paint them anyways so I don't care about the color they come in.
SteelCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
ScaryFatKidGT

Drives: NGM SS 1LE
6th gen SS 1LE brakes = ATS-V brakes

ZL1 and CTS-V brakes are larger, if you are upgrading a regular SS or something for track duty I would go with ZL1 brakes cuz why not.
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
6th gen SS 1LE brakes = ATS-V brakes

ZL1 and CTS-V brakes are larger, if you are upgrading a regular SS or something for track duty I would go with ZL1 brakes cuz why not.
Why not?.. one reason would be added unsprung AND rotational mass (the worst kind).

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
ScaryFatKidGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Why not?.. one reason would be added unsprung AND rotational mass (the worst kind).
seen plenty of people overheating the SS 1LE brakes
Old 03-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
seen plenty of people overheating the SS 1LE brakes
"Plenty" is hyperbole at best. Sources? The only way to overheat the SS 1LE front calipers is to run a race pad that lacks a thermal shim. ZL1 brakes on an SS is overkill to the point that the pads are barely up to temp.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
"Plenty" is hyperbole at best. Sources? The only way to overheat the SS 1LE front calipers is to run a race pad that lacks a thermal shim. ZL1 brakes on an SS is overkill to the point that the pads are barely up to temp.
I only saw issues with J6M (SS 1LE) brakes with stock pads on 30-minute sessions on hard braking tracks. As you noted about thermal capacity, my pad and caliper temps with the J6H (ZL1) brakes came way down after I changed over to them a year ago. I mainly did it just to do it and for the looks (ZL1 1LE calipers). The rotor and stock pad prices are about the same between the two, and both have low mileage take off pads readily available from non-tracking folks that want less dust.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #10
RUQWIKR

Quote:
OP has 1SS in his profile, so is that what we're comparing to? If so, SS rear calipers are the same as SS 1LE. Cadillac ATS-V and SS 1LE share calipers and rotors. CTS-V and ZL1 share brakes.

This thread has part numbers for SS 1LE and ZL1: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=10435909
Front calipers and pads on the J56 system (C7Z and GS with steel brakes) are the same as the SS 1LE (J6M) / ATS-V (J6G). Rotors on the C7 are not the exact same for rings (they have slots) nor hats (12mm studs).
Old 03-27-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
ScaryFatKidGT

Quote:
Two people here https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544299

Also I'm sure going from 14.5" rotors to 15.35" Rotors sin't that big of change to make the brakes not ables to get up to temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
I only saw issues with J6M (SS 1LE) brakes with stock pads on 30-minute sessions on hard braking tracks. As you noted about thermal capacity, my pad and caliper temps with the J6H (ZL1) brakes came way down after I changed over to them a year ago. I mainly did it just to do it and for the looks (ZL1 1LE calipers). The rotor and stock pad prices are about the same between the two, and both have low mileage take off pads readily available from non-tracking folks that want less dust.
See that's the thing, everyone talks about 25-30 min sessions, anymore than that and they start to have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Front calipers and pads on the J56 system (C7Z and GS with steel brakes) are the same as the SS 1LE (J6M) / ATS-V (J6G). Rotors on the C7 are not the exact same for rings (they have slots) nor hats (12mm studs).
Are rears all the same? Why do they slot the rotors on the vette?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
RUQWIKR

The J56 Vette system has two piece rears but hats are steel. Why slotted - pros and cons. I think it was for looks mainly based on the J6M and J6H not being.

30 minute sessions at pace in this fast AND heavy of a car is going to tax all kinds of things...especially on a brake intensive track.