Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 03-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Blind Spot Signal?

Is there a way to change the glass on the side-mirrors for the 1SS with one that's similar to the 2SS which has the blind-spot light-up signal? I understand this may require me to also drill holes in the rear bumper for the radar-plugs or some other altenative - but has anyone seen an aftermarket kit that is designed similarly to or even more nicely than OEM?
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
No. the upgrade would likely be costly. Not to mention the wiring for the sensors, etc. I would never say that something is impossible, but this is not a simple or inexpensive endeavor. you would probably come out better selling your car and just upgrading to a 2SS
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:29 AM   #3
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
It cost way less to just turn your head and look over your shoulder.

Yes the Camaro is lacking side view. But all those added gadgets are for people who don't really know how to drive. They should not really exist cause people are relying on them too much nowadays. The day that feature will start acting up, people will not be able to make their blind spot check properly.

I'm personally totally happy to not have the blind spot sensor, lane change sensor, backing sensor and stuff.

If I could, I would remove that damn rear view camera.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #4
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
Not if you're driving with traffic in front of you. Looking over your shoulder could be very costly. Blind side warnings are a good double check, but I find there are no blind spots when my mirrors are properly adjusted.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:05 AM   #5
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Not if you're driving with traffic in front of you. Looking over your shoulder could be very costly. Blind side warnings are a good double check, but I find there are no blind spots when my mirrors are properly adjusted.
Good drivers will be able to turn their head only a split second and be able to record the position of every car around. Also, if it is not safe in front of you to look away, then it might not be a good idea to look at your blind spot. I always ensure that there's nothing close in front of me before looking.

I saw a documentary on formula 1 drivers (or similar) where they placed cameras in their helmets that was showing with a dot where their eyes were looking. They literally take less than half a second to look at their mirrors. I know they are trained for that but with the amount of driving we do every year, we should at least get close to it.

Btw I am not saying you are a bad driver, just pointing out that most of the people who get involved in accident are lacking these little ability unfortunately. And I totally agree with you when you mention that well adjusted mirrors do not have blind spot. But most people don't even adjust them nor look at them while driving. I kno my girlfriend never adjusts the passenger mirror cause she never uses it. That's probably the one I use the most!

And this is my own opinion, no one is obliged to agree haha.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #6
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
They should not really exist cause people are relying on them too much nowadays.
This.... /\

Aim your mirrors properly (as in not where you see the side of your car like most people adjust them), they should see nothing but the lane(s) beside you.If you can see the side of your car in the mirror then you are doing it wrong.
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #7
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I have a 2SS and often drive in rush hour traffic. I have my mirrors adjusted as illustrated in the previous post. The blind spot indicator is an interesting idea but GM's implementation leaves something to be desired. The blind spot indicator lights up in normal traffic as cars pass by on both sides. It lights up often enough in daily traffic that it has become background noise. It does flash if you have your turn signal on while a car is in the blind spot but if I'm paying enough attention to notice the flashing I also see the car in the side mirror. Another problem is that it isn't terribly bright so in daylight driving it doesn't really stand out. I've had my Camaro for almost 3 years and I just don't find it to be terribly useful. It is fine that my Camaro has it but I won't spend big money to get it on a future car unless they improve the implementation.

As a side note I smile every time I sit in traffic behind another car and can see the driver's face in their side mirror. If I can see their face then I know they have their mirrors adjusted incorrectly. It is surprising (and disappointing) to see how many cars have their mirrors adjusted like that.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I have a 2SS and often drive in rush hour traffic. I have my mirrors adjusted as illustrated in the previous post. The blind spot indicator is an interesting idea but GM's implementation leaves something to be desired. The blind spot indicator lights up in normal traffic as cars pass by on both sides. It lights up often enough in daily traffic that it has become background noise. It does flash if you have your turn signal on while a car is in the blind spot but if I'm paying enough attention to notice the flashing I also see the car in the side mirror. Another problem is that it isn't terribly bright so in daylight driving it doesn't really stand out. I've had my Camaro for almost 3 years and I just don't find it to be terribly useful. It is fine that my Camaro has it but I won't spend big money to get it on a future car unless they improve the implementation.
Exactly!

Quote:
As a side note I smile every time I sit in traffic behind another car and can see the driver's face in their side mirror. If I can see their face then I know they have their mirrors adjusted incorrectly. It is surprising (and disappointing) to see how many cars have their mirrors adjusted like that.
Lol I thought I was the only one that noticed/ did this! Honestly I think it really stems from the fact that drivers ed and the actual driving test it's self (when first getting your driving license) tell you to adjust them in the incorrect way. At least it did when I took my test 11 years ago...
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
G2K
@Blackmamba_1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
These are mine, I wish I didnt need them but fuction>form I wish 2SS 1LE's existed when i bought mine but they work very well you get used to it

https://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Utopi...27-spons&psc=1
Old 03-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #10
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:

Yes the Camaro is lacking side view. But all those added gadgets are for people who don't really know how to drive. They should not really exist cause people are relying on them too much nowadays. The day that feature will start acting up, people will not be able to make their blind spot check properly.

I'm personally totally happy to not have the blind spot sensor, lane change sensor, backing sensor and stuff.

If I could, I would remove that damn rear view camera.
Think you're being a bit overly hostile to the sensors and using them. Sure, relying on them totally is a bad idea, but as additional aids on top of good habits they are still useful. As someone who prefers to back into parking spots, the camera and backing sensors are especially helpful.

I made do without all that for several years with my 2010 1LT, but as someone who likes to back in as far as possible at work so the nose isn't sticking out where some passing fool can clip it, there were a couple instances of going too far and into the chain link fence, which wasn't great for the paint.

The 6th gen has worse visibility in the rear quarter with that narrower rear window - it's fine in traffic (notwithstanding one incident with a lowered 90s-vintage Miata aggressively tailgating me!), but in tight places and parking situations you really do have a significantly limited idea of what's going on back there which no amount of experience or mirror adjusting can truly overcome - particularly where inattentive young kids might be around. Backing out of parking spaces is equally tricky, especially if you're unfortunate enough to find a large truck or SUV parked next to you and effectively blinding a large area. The camera and sensors eliminate that last blind spot very effectively.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #11
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #12
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #13
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Its amazing that on one hand people, accurately , talk about the numerous blind spots in the Camaro, and then on the other hand bash the idea of blind spot warnings, things that exist on every luxury vehicle.

No group will ever be happy, I for one am glad that GM thought about it and added it as an option (or standard on some trims)

If they didn't have it, there would be an equal number of people complaining about "why didn't GM think to add blind spot warnings on a car with poor visibility"
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #14
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
there not worth it. like others said people rely on them. They are not reliable. If your mirrors are set right there are no blind spots whatsoever. mine blink non stop if i get caught in the rain. people need to learn how to use mirrors.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote