Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
Nate_K1500

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
What do you use to clean your ceramic Coating?

After a cleaning and air drying (dewalt cordless blower) I still have a few water spots. What do you guys use to clean those few water spots without Coating the Coating. (scratching as well) would a ceramic spray be the way to go? Or just a quick detailer? Maybe even carpro reload? (expensive)
Nate_K1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I would recommend a water spot remover. Since I'm an SB3 installer, I recommend SB3 Destroy which is an over-the-counter product. Easy to use and works pretty well. I've encountered water spots that I had to polish and reapply the coating to the area, though.

Are the water spots from your drying process? What towels and/or drying aid are you using paired with the blower?
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_K1500 View Post
After a cleaning and air drying (dewalt cordless blower) I still have a few water spots. What do you guys use to clean those few water spots without Coating the Coating. (scratching as well) would a ceramic spray be the way to go? Or just a quick detailer? Maybe even carpro reload? (expensive)
Adam's ceramic boost or, when I'm in 'f*** that' mode, just some detail spray. Next step will be a whole house water filter and deionizer, the hardness of water here in northern NJ is pretty bad, I suspect PA isn't much different.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
CarPro Essence Plus and a little hand polishing pad for persistent water spots.

Water spotting is a problem for ceramic coating. It is best to get the rinse water off the vehicle as quickly as possible. Using an open end hose and not a gun or pressure washer helps as it doesn't create tiny droplets that dry quickly.

Blowing dry is helpful for the grille and around mirrors, but may be contributing to your water spots on large panels due to the blower spreading the water, allowing it to dry by evaporation, as opposed to physically removing the water with towels.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Adam's ceramic boost or, when I'm in 'f*** that' mode, just some detail spray. Next step will be a whole house water filter and deionizer, the hardness of water here in northern NJ is pretty bad, I suspect PA isn't much different.
Using consumer level deionizer is super expensive. The whole house filter won't do anything. If you really want to get into DI water, get a professional setup from a local company. It is about $1000 to get started, to buy the cannister and a couple of bags of filter media, but the consumer level costs $400 and you will quickly equal the pro price refreshing the filtering media. My system is from Absolute WaterTech.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Arrow

Quote:
After blow dry, I use:
Two 20"x40" Guzzler waffle weave towels. With the vert there's a large amount of space around and underneath the trunk lid and tonneau cover that need drying by hand. As well as all around the doors, rubber roof top trim, roof fabric, etc. With a coupe you may be able to get away with just one.

For finishing, I use a 500 gsm Eagle Edgeless towel and the Carpro "Magic Elixer" as a quick detailer, with the formula:

Ech20 : Reload : Distilled
1 : 4 : 20

This makes for a nice glossy hydrophobic topper on the coated car. I keep the bottle in my detail bucket in the trunk so I can use it as a lubricant when touching up the rockers and removing dust on the PPF'd areas at car shows. I use the rolling towel method and only wipe the PPF'd surfaces.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
We have several SI02 products to clean and maintain coatings. Ceramic Waterless Wash, Ceramic Spray or our new CS3. The new CS3 is going to be a favorite of many.

https://adamspolishes.com/collection...ucts/adams-cs3

https://adamspolishes.com/collection...less-towel-kit
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
I have a BlackFire ceramic coating, and I've been using ONR w/ wax (diluted) as a drying agent, but I notice I've made the car more tacky and less smooth. I think I need to swith to something ceramic-infused, since I think I'm crossing-up my chemicals and leaving unnecessary residue on my coated surface. . . hmm.
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
I have a BlackFire ceramic coating, and I've been using ONR w/ wax (diluted) as a drying agent, but I notice I've made the car more tacky and less smooth. I think I need to swith to something ceramic-infused, since I think I'm crossing-up my chemicals and leaving unnecessary residue on my coated surface. . . hmm.
I would definitely stay with something SiO2 infused and avoid wax...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #10
Nate_K1500

Great info guys! Right now after the blow down I usually take a micro Fiber (Costco yellow pack) and some quick detailer and hit the water spots. Might have to try the ADAMS s3 if I can find it in Canada.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Great info guys! Right now after the blow down I usually take a micro Fiber (Costco yellow pack) and some quick detailer and hit the water spots. Might have to try the ADAMS s3 if I can find it in Canada.
Those low pile cheapy MF towels are fine for interior/engine/window work, but I would recommend that you upgrade to a 500 gram per square meter towel for paint work. I use low pile MF rags as a part of my wash regimen for the undersides of the splitter, rockers, tailpipes, wheels and as applicators (folded up) for rainX, etc. I don't like low pile rags for paintwork as they are more prone to swirling.

For paint, go for something like this:

Eagle Edgeless from The Rag Company.

https://www.theragcompany.com/eagle-...rofiber-towel/

About $5/towel ... and watch this forum for bogo and bundle deals that KirkH posts from time to time
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #12
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Gunkk is right, you can’t use any of those general purpose towels that sell for $6 for a pack of three at Pep Boys… If you’re messing around with paint, look for 500 GSM or so, an easy way is just look at the price, good towels -the good 12 x 12 micro -towels are at least three bucks apiece…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #13
Nate_K1500

3 bucks is a lot of Canadian Pesos! Haha but yes I will look on Amazon and see if I can find some

Last edited by Nate_K1500; 03-16-2020 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:11 PM   #14
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
Thumbs up

Technician's Choice 582 Ceramic Detail Spray with a microfiber towel... it works great!
Attached Images

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote