Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Photos | Videos | Renderings

Phastek Performance

Old 01-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #15
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I sure agree with you. I have heard that higher horse powered heavily bolted on Camaros like your's benefit more so than bone stock by the use of a catch can. Obviously, you saw something of value in hanging one on your Camaro according to your signature, so, if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me! lol...I bet your car is a blast to drive.
I heard the same which is why I purchased one, very inexpensive mod, first time I saw oil in it I said “it works” so that’s all that matters lol, my car is okay, but I need more power! Boost is coming soon!
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #16
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
Do they work??? Yes. Are they necessary??? Absolutely not. You wont find an engine failure or an engine thats down on power due to the small amount of oil that an engine consumes over its life. Its a placebo. If you think for one minute that GM engine design and engineers didn't plan for a nominal amount of oil consumption, then you are insane. Hell Dodge calls a quart every few months, NORMAL. Enjoy your catch cans, but they are not necessary in any way shape or form.
Not exactly. The benefit of a catch can on 6th gen V8 engines is primarily due to the impact of DI on the back of the intake valve. Over time, carbon will build up on the back of the valve to a greater extent than a port injected engine due to lack of cleansing by gasoline injected into the intake port. So, it is not about oil consumption by a DI engine, it is about limiting carbon deposits in your valve train. If you are going to dismiss catch cans as a "necessity" at least understand what purpose they serve.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #17
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
They work until chevy uses it as excuse to deny warranty claim.. and then they dont work. Stragenly enough, Ford performance has OE like solution for GT350.

Mann makes a really nice one that can even autodrain! Plumb right back into the pan.

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/the-c...iesel-engines/

There you go.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #18
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Obviously they catch oil. Agree the real question is are the necessary, beneficial, or harmful (other than warranty voids). Are there reasons the vaporized oil would be important to the top half of the engine (accounting for some top end lubrications, etc.), where eliminating it would be detrimental? I get that it will clearly cuts down on carbon build up - that makes logical sense. But are there any hidden costs of removing the oil that all us smart folks (but none of us GM engineers) are overlooking? That’s where my concern lies. I’d be all for it given the long term carbon reduction. That part is s no brained.

For those of you who’ve seen my posts, I’ve always got some left field concern. Feel free to mock at will 😋
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #19
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Well, especially for forced induction engines, once you start pressurizing the crankcase the oil pushes past areas it shouldn’t then obviously ends up in the intake tract. This screws with the A/F mixture. Not good. Same with when you are pushing hard on a N/A engine. The catch can catches the oil before getting burned. Do your research. I’m a true believer there are benefits.
Why don’t the manufacturers use them. COST!!!
It’s more crap to put in the engine bay too. Another job for a person on the assembly line. Another company to have to hire to build them. They’re employed to manufacture them.
Do your research.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #20
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Ask yourselves this:
When engineers are creating the tunes for these cars, do you think they take into account the amount of engine oil that will be burned during the combustion process?
If so it’s a constant number and isn’t right. Why?
Because you can build 2 identical engines, identical clearances and parts and tolerances, and even those engines can likely burn a different amount of oil no matter how minimal. It’s still different even if one is burning a ounce more than the other over a 1000 miles
Now, think about mass produced engines and their tolerances. Catch my drift?
Catch cans are beneficial.
You have to empty them. You don’t, you’ll be into much larger problems and yeah at that point why would warranty cover you if you neglected the system that you installed and therefore caused the incurring damage.
The manufacturer wouldn’t be liable.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
They work until chevy uses it as excuse to deny warranty claim.. and then they dont work. Stragenly enough, Ford performance has OE like solution for GT350.

Mann makes a really nice one that can even autodrain! Plumb right back into the pan.

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/the-c...iesel-engines/

There you go.
We use some of their filters on our equipment. That there is an interesting piece.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #22
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
Obviously they catch oil. Agree the real question is are the necessary, beneficial, or harmful (other than warranty voids). Are there reasons the vaporized oil would be important to the top half of the engine (accounting for some top end lubrications, etc.), where eliminating it would be detrimental? I get that it will clearly cuts down on carbon build up - that makes logical sense. But are there any hidden costs of removing the oil that all us smart folks (but none of us GM engineers) are overlooking? That’s where my concern lies. I’d be all for it given the long term carbon reduction. That part is s no brained.

For those of you who’ve seen my posts, I’ve always got some left field concern. Feel free to mock at will 😋

No, oil is not beneficial to be recycled back into the intake track. It is recycled back into the intake track like every other vehicle because the government told them they had to. That's it...
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote