Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
Voxster2018

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT
Non Bose Replace Side Door Speakers

I have a 2018 Camaro LT with a non Bose System. It has the silver amp with the horizontal fins in the trunk. I want to replace th factory side door speakers hoping to get a little better sound quality. Sounds muffled. I am looking at the JL C1 690TX 6x9 3 way speakers. I was told at a local audio shop that I would need to bypass and replace the factory amp if I wanted to swap out the speakers. Thought I could just swap out the facfotry ones. Is this true? I am trying to keep th cost at a minimum. Just need better/cleaner/sharp sound while driving to work.
Voxster2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
Redmoe

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange ZL1 Vert M6
you should be able to use the factory amp. Since the door chimes/notification tones come through the audio system replacing the factory amp for the front speakers may amplify those tones depending on the gain settings.
Redmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
Redmoe

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange ZL1 Vert M6
this thread has some discussion on what speakers to use: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...hlight=speaker
Redmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
front door speakers are not receiving a full range of frequencies... likely 40Hz ~ 500Hz at best. Using a 3 way or full range speaker still wont reproduce frequencies it is not receiving. If it is the correct resistance load, then it will likely sound better than the OEM drivers. However, if the resistance load is too high, sound will be reduced, even at high volumes.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
front door speakers are not receiving a full range of frequencies... likely 40Hz ~ 500Hz at best. Using a 3 way or full range speaker still wont reproduce frequencies it is not receiving. If it is the correct resistance load, then it will likely sound better than the OEM drivers. However, if the resistance load is too high, sound will be reduced, even at high volumes.

On the bose setup, you might be correct. On the base system it's only a 4-channel amp. Both the front dash and door speakers are on the same full-range channel. I posted the wiring diagram a long time ago that proves it.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
On the bose setup, you might be correct. On the base system it's only a 4-channel amp. Both the front dash and door speakers are on the same full-range channel. I posted the wiring diagram a long time ago that proves it.
I cant vouch for the non bose setups. Typically, you wouldn't send a full range signal to anything less than 6" unless you have at least a passive crossover in place. Sending bass and misbass frequencies (20Hz ~250 Hz) to the dash 2.7" would fry the speaker. Sometimes the signal is reduced at the amplifier. sometimes the crossover is on the midbass itself. NOt sure how the non bose vehicles are set up.

Tuning equipment could be used to test this , but I'm not sure anyone has done this.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
I cant vouch for the non bose setups. Typically, you wouldn't send a full range signal to anything less than 6" unless you have at least a passive crossover in place. Sending bass and misbass frequencies (20Hz ~250 Hz) to the dash 2.7" would fry the speaker. Sometimes the signal is reduced at the amplifier. sometimes the crossover is on the midbass itself. NOt sure how the non bose vehicles are set up.

Tuning equipment could be used to test this , but I'm not sure anyone has done this.
That's why I brought it up, I can vouch for non-bose setups.

The non-bose is a 4-channel setup, with the front stage running in parallel, with a single 68uF capacitor on the dash speakers. The door speakers run full-range (easily measurable 20-20kHz), complete with all the high-frequency cone break-up you'd expect.

Here's the wiring diagram:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=23
Old 03-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
That's why I brought it up, I can vouch for non-bose setups.

The non-bose is a 4-channel setup, with the front stage running in parallel, with a single 68uF capacitor on the dash speakers. The door speakers run full-range (easily measurable 20-20kHz), complete with all the high-frequency cone break-up you'd expect.

Here's the wiring diagram:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=23
Ok, That makes sense, full range signal sent from the amp with the 68uF cap in place to attenuate the bass frequencies.

So many different setups in this car, only to change again with the 2019's. They are going to have to go through all of this crap all over again

Old 12-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
Voxster2018

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT
I was told by two sound shops here in town that i could not add speakers without swapping out the factory amp. Mentioned that the speakers would sound bad without replacing the amp. Is this true?
Voxster2018 is offline   Reply With Quote