Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 02-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
Ravis22

Drives: Hyper blue ZL1
Clear bra and vinyl wrap

I have a ZL1 and was planning on getting the hood and side mirrors wrapped in a matte black, similar to how the ZL1 1LE looks. I also wanted to get Xpel/clear bra installed to protect from rock chips, etc.

My question is, if I get the vinyl wrap on hood and mirrors, I assume I don’t really need the Xpel on those areas? Or is there some advantage to it?

I was also thinking about getting the ceramic coating done, but then was wondering if it made sense, especially if a good part of the car will be wrapped and has clear bra?

Appreciate opinions and thoughts, thanks.
Ravis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Xpel/suntek has the ability to heal when hit from rock so I would cover your wrap.

Ceramic/coating on ppf is a waste of time and money, a simple sealant will do......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
If your getting a wrap it won't be protected from rock chips without clear bra over it. After the wrap have the high impact areas protected with clear bra, and add rock guards to your wheels. You can get a 10% discount on the rock guards from ZL1addons by using code HEADTURNERS.

The ceramic coating is optional, it will make your car easier to clean, but the paint must be compounded/polished first. It's expensive to get done, so if your not doing this yourself, I'd just stay with a sealant or wax.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Ravis22

Appreciate the feedback guys.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
You could also get the satin clear bra over the matte to keep the look and add protection. My car is black so I'm thinking of doing the the satin clear bra on the hood.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
Ravis22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
If your getting a wrap it won't be protected from rock chips without clear bra over it. After the wrap have the high impact areas protected with clear bra, and add rock guards to your wheels. You can get a 10% discount on the rock guards from ZL1addons by using code HEADTURNERS.

The ceramic coating is optional, it will make your car easier to clean, but the paint must be compounded/polished first. It's expensive to get done, so if your not doing this yourself, I'd just stay with a sealant or wax.

So kind of a long story, but just now getting around to finally doing the work I put in first post. One of the best rated shops in my area told me that it’s better to put the PPF under the vinyl, because the PPF doesn’t stick as well to the matte/satin vinyl wraps (which is what I’m looking to do). He said the glossy vinyl it will stick to better but the matte/satin is more rough. So just wondering what others have done and thoughts?

Makes sense to me to get PPF over the vinyl, so that the vinyl is protected as well, but I do want to PPF to stick and stay on better.

So far the guy has been pretty straight forward with me, so I don’t think he’s BSing me, but figured I’d see what others though.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Xpel ultimate self healing to the entire front (including carbon heat extractor) and up to the sunroof, mirrors and rocker panels.
Xpel stealth to hood
Feynlab self healing ceramic coating to the rest of the car after a full correction.

Beyond pleased
Attached Images

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:32 AM   #8
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Xpel ultimate self healing to the entire front (including carbon heat extractor) and up to the sunroof, mirrors and rocker panels.
Xpel stealth to hood
Feynlab self healing ceramic coating to the rest of the car after a full correction.

Beyond pleased

Looks stunning! May I know the total cost?
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:29 AM   #9
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Thank you!
I'm in the UK so probably not comparable
You can get an idea of material costs from the Zpel website though

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:43 AM   #10
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
$3-6k depending on the cost of living where you get it done.

$2-3k is a typical range for a full car paint correction and 1/2 car PPF.

The MSRP on the Feynlab site is $2499 full car. Pro-install only, 7yr warranty.
https://www.feynlab.com/product/self-heal_17/

I put Feynlab on the level of Gtechniq ... these guys make top shelf coatings.

Self healing (PPF or coating) is the way to go on a black car. Well done!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote