Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #15
Philar299

Drives: 2021 Forte GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The I4 and the V6 are fun, but they can't hold a candle to the V8, and I'm sure deep down you are aware of that (btw I had a 6th gen with a V6 before my current car).

It's impossible to know what is truly important to you, but if not having to run premium gas is a priority, you have only one engine choice.

All that said, the LGX is a great engine with a higher redline and plenty of power, it isn't some anemic 1-liter four-banger turbocharged to the moon for 150 hp, so if I were you, I'd test drive that and a V8, then make a decision.
Is the Magnetic Ride control a must on a v8?

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Philar299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:36 PM   #16
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philar299 View Post
Is the Magnetic Ride control a must on a v8?
Honestly, for the street, no, not really... but it performs very well, creates a tangible distinction between modes, and cannot (realistically) be retrofitted, that's why I optioned it in and never regretted my decision. For example, it helps keep the tires planted on chunky pavement in sport mode, while also making the ride smoother in tour mode, bumps and small potholes I can hear but not really feel in that mode.

I might have some regrets when (if) the time comes to replace the MR shocks and I get another type of shock (sticker) as a "bonus", since they cost $400 apiece vs $100 for the regular dampers, but that's a concern for the distant future, hopefully.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:04 AM   #17
Philar299

Quote:
Honestly, for the street, no, not really... but it performs very well, creates a tangible distinction between modes, and cannot (realistically) be retrofitted, that's why I optioned it in and never regretted my decision. For example, it helps keep the tires planted on chunky pavement in sport mode, while also making the ride smoother in tour mode, bumps and small potholes I can hear but not really feel in that mode.

I might have some regrets when (if) the time comes to replace the MR shocks and I get another type of shock (sticker) as a "bonus", since they cost $400 apiece vs $100 for the regular dampers, but that's a concern for the distant future, hopefully.
I appreciate it!

I talked to the dealer near my house, I have to wait as they are not taking any 2022 orders anymore.. Guess I get a 2023.
These are the options i'm thinking:

1SS Vivid Orange
Carbon Flash-painted aluminum wheels
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual-mode exhaust
Fender hash marks, Black Metallic
Rear blade spoiler in Carbon Flash Metallic

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Old 03-12-2022, 02:56 AM   #18
Philar299

Quote:
Originally Posted by armycop71 View Post
Yes, active rev match is only on V8 models.
Is there a specific reason for that?
Find that so dang odd. My brothers Hatchback sport Corolla has it even lol

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Old 03-12-2022, 07:03 AM   #19
armycop71
Love my Satin Steel LT-1!

Drives: 6-Speed LT-1...
Quote:
Is there a specific reason for that?
Find that so dang odd. My brothers Hatchback sport Corolla has it even lol
I am guessing that is Chevrolet being cheap and cost cutting on the lower models.

6-Speed Man|Carbon Flash Wheels
Technology Pkg|NPP|Satin Blk Pkg
ZL1 Rock Guards|Red Knee Pad Set
PBC LT1 engine built by Debi Lewis
armycop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:21 AM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I appreciate it!

I talked to the dealer near my house, I have to wait as they are not taking any 2022 orders anymore.. Guess I get a 2023.
These are the options i'm thinking:

1SS Vivid Orange
Carbon Flash-painted aluminum wheels
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual-mode exhaust
Fender hash marks, Black Metallic
Rear blade spoiler in Carbon Flash Metallic
These options look to me.

You are probably aware that some convenience and safety items will be missing on the 1SS (seat heating, seat ventilation, dual zone A/C, HUD, heated mirrors, seat+mirror memory, RGB ambient lighting, premium audio, illuminated sill plates, blind spot alert, rearview camera mirror, rear object detection etc.) and most of them are impossible or difficult to retrofit, so be honest and think about what you may need/want in the near future.

The 1SS is only a good trim choice if you genuinely don't care for the above stuff and won't want to try and add them later (costs can easily push you over the 2SS price).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:25 AM   #21
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by armycop71 View Post
I am guessing that is Chevrolet being cheap and cost cutting on the lower models.
Exactly! Same reason Chevy offers a red brake caliper upgrade on LTs that only come with red calipers on the front. The rears are still OEM single piston silver calipers.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #22
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:

You are probably aware that some convenience and safety items will be missing on the 1SS (seat heating, seat ventilation, dual zone A/C, HUD, heated mirrors, seat+mirror memory, RGB ambient lighting, premium audio, illuminated sill plates, blind spot alert, rearview camera mirror, rear object detection etc.) and most of them are impossible or difficult to retrofit, so be honest and think about what you may need/want in the near future.

The 1SS is only a good trim choice if you genuinely don't care for the above stuff and won't want to try and add them later (costs can easily push you over the 2SS price).
The 2SS does offer a number of nice convenience, safety and luxury items. But it also costs about 5K more than the 1SS. It's about like the difference between the LT1 and the 1SS. It ultimately depends on what you are looking for.

Personally, my car is a weekend toy so I was fine with the 1SS. The 1LE package was the must have for me. I could have purchased a 2SS (without the 1LE package) for the same money, but I wanted all the performance goodies that come with it.

If I were looking at a non 1LE SS, two options I would strongly consider would be magnetic ride control and the dual mode exhaust. Both of which he has on his list. And both of which come with the 1LE package.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)

Last edited by ZPirate; 03-12-2022 at 09:09 AM.
ZPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:10 PM   #23
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Hi all,

Idk if anyone remembers me, I had a 2014 V6 Spring edition Camaro, that I got back in 2013... but then traded it in for a 2018 WRX. Then last year I jumped into a Kia k5 because I didn't want to pay premium gas prices.. then ended up getting bored didn't like it as much as I thought and jumped into a Stinger.

From there I had so many issues that I somehow ended up with a Forte GT.. As fun as the car is to drive, I am not as happy as I was in a Camaro.

For the Camaro, will a 4 cylinder be fun? or should I just jump into a v6? or say **** it and jump into a V8 and then get all weather tires on it?

Also, Ive been playing around with the build on the site and cannot decide on a colour.. helpppp. I'm between White, Black, Wild cherry, Rapid Blue or Orange.. but then again I have no idea what will be available for 2023.

Can I get some opinions?

I know I'm gonna lose a lot of money on the Forte, which is gonna suck, but oh well.

When I set my mind on the Camaro (only vehicle with an M6 that checked most of the boxes) I had to understand that driving the car means that the car had to have a certain "walk the walk" to it. Thus, I personally would go for the least expensive V8 that you can swing. Look at it this way, you get a 4-cylinder, or a V6 and later decide that you want more power, you're not going to get the same kind of power in those unless you spend a lot of money. With the lowest priced V8 that you can buy, if you want to add appearance items, that's going to cost you less than trying to get 400+ HP out of a 4-banger or a V6. I apply the same logic when buying a laptop, give me the best processor I can afford, and I can add memory, a larger HD, etc. later. I figure buying the lowest priced V8, you get to make the car a canvas for your tastes, but will at least have a good start on the engine.

As for color, I'd say look at the options on the Corvette from here Corvette Visualizer which might give you an idea of the colors available on the Camaro. I would steer you towards the Wild Cherry, but as others have mentioned it looks different on non-ZL1 Camaros for some reason. But, as I mentioned above maybe you can add all the visuals on a regular LT1 to make it look slick.

One last point about the V8, I've worked with people that have V6 Chargers/Challengers/Mustangs/Camaros and they would always ask me if I had aftermarket exhaust on my SS Sedan. They thought that I had a V6 (the SS Sedan does look like a Malibu/Impala/etc. which is standard V6 fanfare). They thought that I somehow managed to make a V6 sound like a V8. You can throw all sorts of money at a 4-cylinder or V6, but it'll never have the deep sound of a V8 unless you outfit it with one of those fake V8 sound machines.

The extra money you will spend on a V8 in gas will be more than made up for when you crank the V8.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:33 PM   #24
Philar299

Quote:

are you able to DM me when you have time and we can talk about the options?

Really appreciate the help!

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Old 03-12-2022, 06:34 PM   #25
Philar299

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
When I set my mind on the Camaro (only vehicle with an M6 that checked most of the boxes) I had to understand that driving the car means that the car had to have a certain "walk the walk" to it. Thus, I personally would go for the least expensive V8 that you can swing. Look at it this way, you get a 4-cylinder, or a V6 and later decide that you want more power, you're not going to get the same kind of power in those unless you spend a lot of money. With the lowest priced V8 that you can buy, if you want to add appearance items, that's going to cost you less than trying to get 400+ HP out of a 4-banger or a V6. I apply the same logic when buying a laptop, give me the best processor I can afford, and I can add memory, a larger HD, etc. later. I figure buying the lowest priced V8, you get to make the car a canvas for your tastes, but will at least have a good start on the engine.

As for color, I'd say look at the options on the Corvette from here Corvette Visualizer which might give you an idea of the colors available on the Camaro. I would steer you towards the Wild Cherry, but as others have mentioned it looks different on non-ZL1 Camaros for some reason. But, as I mentioned above maybe you can add all the visuals on a regular LT1 to make it look slick.

One last point about the V8, I've worked with people that have V6 Chargers/Challengers/Mustangs/Camaros and they would always ask me if I had aftermarket exhaust on my SS Sedan. They thought that I had a V6 (the SS Sedan does look like a Malibu/Impala/etc. which is standard V6 fanfare). They thought that I somehow managed to make a V6 sound like a V8. You can throw all sorts of money at a 4-cylinder or V6, but it'll never have the deep sound of a V8 unless you outfit it with one of those fake V8 sound machines.

The extra money you will spend on a V8 in gas will be more than made up for when you crank the V8.
Thank you!!

The gray and the Caffeine metallic sound interesting.

I saw on another thread you helped someone build there Camaro, are you able to help me?

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Old 03-12-2022, 06:47 PM   #26
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thank you!!

The gray and the Caffeine metallic sound interesting.

I saw on another thread you helped someone build there Camaro, are you able to help me?
Sure, although it is probably advised for you to go https://www.chevrolet.ca/en first and build it there. After you build it like you want, look for "inventory nearby" and then just make a trip to the dealership to see if your build is what you want. The best advice I can give you is to search this site (and Youtube) for the features you'd like and get everyone's take on whether they think it's worth the extra money or not. My build is here (at least pics). I did what I could to avoid the constrained items and my shipping happened in 2-ish months. Good luck with your choice, you have a lot of decisions ahead.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM   #27
Philar299

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
Sure, although it is probably advised for you to go https://www.chevrolet.ca/en first and build it there. After you build it like you want, look for "inventory nearby" and then just make a trip to the dealership to see if your build is what you want. The best advice I can give you is to search this site (and Youtube) for the features you'd like and get everyone's take on whether they think it's worth the extra money or not. My build is here (at least pics). I did what I could to avoid the constrained items and my shipping happened in 2-ish months. Good luck with your choice, you have a lot of decisions ahead.
Thanks! Yeah been doing a lot of research recently. The color is down to 3.. better than before lmao.
Just the engine and trim level are whats driving me up the wall.

Previous cars:
2014 V6 Spring Edition
2018 WRX
2022 K5
2022 Stinger
Old 03-13-2022, 09:28 PM   #28
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah been doing a lot of research recently. The color is down to 3.. better than before lmao.
Just the engine and trim level are whats driving me up the wall.

I've always heard of people with the 4-cylinder wish that they had gotten the V6, or the V8, and V6 people say that they wish they had the V8. The only time I hear people say that they had wished that they could get the V6 or the 4-cylinder is when gas prices get crazy. And sure, they're crazy now but I don't know if they'll stay that way (and who knows maybe you can use the gas prices to get a deal on a V8). And you can always drive the V8 less aggressive. You can't drive the 4-cylinder or V6 more aggressive to get V8 type performance. Here's a list of MPG across all engines.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Powe...=1&rowLimit=50

Based on the information above, the difference in the MPG from the 4-cylinder to the SC V8 is between 8-9 MPG. The tank is 19 gallons, which is roughly 171 miles, which means you'll probably pay an extra $40 to get the same range per tank. If you can manage an extra $40 a week (if you use a tank a week) then you have to ask yourself if you think it is worth it. I personally would be ok with sacrificing something like a daily Starbucks (the V8 should help with natural stimulant), maybe buy cheaper toiletries, keep your clothes for longer, or hell just put in an extra hour or two at work (if you're not salary). But, just make sure that you're 100% in with your decision.