Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-18-2023, 08:04 PM   #1
bptuner

Drives: 2018 zl1
Wheels..18in or 19in? Why?

Curious to know the difference in times you guys have seen running 18 wheel and tire combo compared to 19's. The factory 19/w supercar tires have been fast just wondering if the cost is worth the switch to 18's.

I am on the fence and debating ordering a set of 18's. I know slicks will be faster around track, but what other DOT legal tire options are there in 18? I don't trailer the car, not that I think the officers in this area will bother, but just for the sake of the debate.
bptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:35 PM   #2
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
New Hoosier R7's are about 1.5 seconds faster around CMP for me vs SC3 tires. At VIR It's probably closer to 2.5-3 seconds but I didn't get a direct comparison there on the same day/weather.(at VIR)

It's not as much as I expected to be honest. I bet the A7's are worth it for TT. Id say if you get better 200TW tires your times will be even closer to slicks. I still like 18's because I can get used slicks for cheap, much better than burning out my SC3's.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:12 PM   #3
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
It's pretty likely the new Bridgestone RE71RS will be the fastest street legal option, but sizes are limited, 295/35/18 is probably the best choice. But these are more for TT, will overheat quickly vs SC3 or SC3R. Probably hard to beat the OEM ZLE wheel/tire package otherwise. OEM ZL1/SLE SC3s are not all that far behind and last longer.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:35 AM   #4
VaporPressure

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
I think my 18s with good condition slicks are much lighter, but only slightly faster than the OEM ZLE set up. Maybe 1 second on a shorter course. There are also a number of 315/30/18 options with good pace that will fit front and rear. I think Falkens, Yok A052, Nankang, Conti ECF all come in that size. But I'm not sure I'd buy 18s just to run those tires (unless you're wanting to trade pace for some longevity and improved wet weather behavior). 19s with SC3R should be faster than all the 18" options except Hoosiers and full slicks.

It is nice to be able to run takeoffs from a price perspective (although some people don't like the inconsistency of what you get on the used market). At this point I'm kind of wishing I had looked into a square, fully rotatable wheel set up, but that comes with its own complications too.

The fast and simple answer is the OEM set up, driven to the track and back home. Pull over if it rains much, and prepare to spend a lot if tracking frequently.
VaporPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:15 AM   #5
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
71RS does not overheat NEARLY as quickly as the A052.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:43 AM   #6
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
But these are more for TT, will overheat quickly vs SC3 or SC3R.
This is key. If you want to be able to do 20-30+ minute sessions without the tires overheating badly I would vote for 3R or slicks. Super 200 tires can do a few fast laps which is ideal for Time Trials on a track you know welll but they won't last anywhere near a 20 minute session on heavy cars without overheating from what I've heard/read. For example people spray RT660 and A052 tires with cold water between autocross runs that last less than a minute to cool them down.

Even Supercar 3 tires benefit from cooldown laps during a 20+ minute session if you're driving at a fast pace.

RT660 tires are listed as having a similar warm up, heat tolerance, and pace to Supercar 3 tires here but I think the warm up is actually much better on RT660 considering how it is popular for Autox but nobody at SCCA AutoX Nationals last year was using Goodyear street tires and considering how much trouble I have had warming Supercar 3 tires up the times I have autocrossed with them: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...-buyers-guide/

Name:  1686241304_tireguidetable_mmthumb.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  171.9 KB

Last edited by cdrptrks; 07-19-2023 at 11:01 AM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:25 AM   #7
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Main things to consider are
1. Tire use (track, AutoX, street, etc.)
2. Your capability (newbie, experienced, advanced, etc.)
3. Your goals (hobbyist - a few track days, autoX events per year; Track rat - every weekend; a better handling car on the street and looking cool)
4. Your budget

When you can get a 3-5 year outlook, this decision becomes easier to make and to live with. I made some really stupid decisions when I first bought my car and have been living with the consequences because the cost to replace (i.e. - make a different decision) is very expensive.

Once you understand your goals, you can narrow down the tire types you are likely to want to try. Once you have this list, try to drive the different options for your given setup. Then, make sure they are available for the size options you are considering. I just made the move to 18", and in the process eliminated the Goodyear 3Rs - a tire I hadn't tried until after I bought my 18" setup and now painfully regret yet another rash decision. The Supercar 3Rs are an insanely good tire and I never gave them a shot while trying almost every other tire out there and settling on Toyo RRs for my track based on cost, performance, and longevity factors. I have the option for Hoosiers with the setup I have as well, but the cost to longevity is terrible compared to the Toyo's (but the performance is similarly pretty far apart). I did not realize just how good the 3Rs were until I drove them recently and wish I could take my decision back and go with 19s. I'd still have Toyos and Hoosiers as an option, but I'd also have the 3Rs....
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 02:35 PM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Longevity of 3Rs is half or less than Supercar 3s in my experience. Even though I have 3Rs I don't use them much because of this since I'm tracking the car for fun rather than competing but if competing you need to be aware of the tire rules for your chosen organizer(s) before deciding on wheel diameter and width in addition to considering sizes offered for the tires you want to use.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #9
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Longevity of 3Rs is half or less than Supercar 3s in my experience. Even though I have 3Rs I don't use them much because of this since I'm tracking the car for fun rather than competing but if competing you need to be aware of the tire rules for your chosen organizer(s) before deciding on wheel diameter and width in addition to considering sizes offered for the tires you want to use.
I like Grassroots Motorsport Mag, but not sure I completely agree with their tire comparison ratings table. It lists the wear durability of the SC3 and SC3R as the same, while nearly every thread on this site says the 3Rs don't last nearly as long.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:57 PM   #10
bptuner

Pretty cool chart.

I ran 18's with R888r's on my ZR1, really liked the traction but not the limited tire choices and size issues. I didn't like the caliper clearance either. Made me wish I had gone 19's. Going to do more research this time and get more testimonial inputs.

I know there not as popular (cost effective because less take offs for discount) but anyone run 19 slicks?
Old 07-19-2023, 06:00 PM   #11
bptuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
Main things to consider are
1. Tire use (track, AutoX, street, etc.)
2. Your capability (newbie, experienced, advanced, etc.)
3. Your goals (hobbyist - a few track days, autoX events per year; Track rat - every weekend; a better handling car on the street and looking cool)
4. Your budget

When you can get a 3-5 year outlook, this decision becomes easier to make and to live with. I made some really stupid decisions when I first bought my car and have been living with the consequences because the cost to replace (i.e. - make a different decision) is very expensive.

Once you understand your goals, you can narrow down the tire types you are likely to want to try. Once you have this list, try to drive the different options for your given setup. Then, make sure they are available for the size options you are considering. I just made the move to 18", and in the process eliminated the Goodyear 3Rs - a tire I hadn't tried until after I bought my 18" setup and now painfully regret yet another rash decision. The Supercar 3Rs are an insanely good tire and I never gave them a shot while trying almost every other tire out there and settling on Toyo RRs for my track based on cost, performance, and longevity factors. I have the option for Hoosiers with the setup I have as well, but the cost to longevity is terrible compared to the Toyo's (but the performance is similarly pretty far apart). I did not realize just how good the 3Rs were until I drove them recently and wish I could take my decision back and go with 19s. I'd still have Toyos and Hoosiers as an option, but I'd also have the 3Rs....

Good points made here you have your priority's straight hahaha
Old 07-19-2023, 06:33 PM   #12
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bptuner View Post
Pretty cool chart.

I ran 18's with R888r's on my ZR1, really liked the traction but not the limited tire choices and size issues. I didn't like the caliper clearance either. Made me wish I had gone 19's. Going to do more research this time and get more testimonial inputs.

I know there not as popular (cost effective because less take offs for discount) but anyone run 19 slicks?
Haven't seen anyone run 19 slicks, you basically always have to buy brand new tires. I think SC3R's are much better option for those running 19's. You will not find any take off's in 19's as there are no series that run that size.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 11:15 AM   #13
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
There used to be 19" take off slicks but not anymore. They Switched to 18s. Another tire to mention is the 18" 315 Z214. Technically a DOT tire although you wouldn't want to drive it on the street, it's 40 TW. Faster than the 3Rs but a little slower and cheaper then the HoHos. The 660s is a good TT tire, warms up pretty fast on track but very noisy on the street. You can get 4 or 5 good laps. Haven't tried A052s yet, but they do come in 18" 315 size and expensive! Some of my TT rivals use Nankangs 200TW, they seem to be very fast and are coming out with a version 2 soon.
Old 07-20-2023, 11:43 AM   #14
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Hopefully the V2 Nankangs will be available in ZLE sizes.

For now, despite them being a little smaller, the 295/35/18 RE71RS is going to be the fastest of the 200tw TT/AX tires. 315 A052 will be close, but it doesn't handle heat as well, wears faster, is more expensive and mostly unavailable.