Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
Chris_SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
One set of mods to increase trackability and stripability?

Seems the majority of folks are either optimized for the track or they are optimized for the strip. I think I'd like to make my camaro perform as well in both situations to the greatest degree possible. Here is where I'm at right now:

2017 1SS

GM performance sway bar kit
GM performance lowering spring kit
OEM 1LE wheels (w/Goodyear 1LE tires)
GM performance CAI with dealership computer recalibration

Where I am thinking I would like to take the car-

To further optimize trackability:
OEM 1LE front brakes
GM performance ZL1-1LE DSSV kit
GM performance ZL1-1LE sway bar kit
OEM ZL1-1LE rear wing

To further optimize stripability:

E85 flex fuel conversion with teflon/non-permeable fueling hoses
Drop-in piston and rod kit (vendor not chosen yet. Suggestions?)
Whipple supercharger
GM performance drag pack

Questions/concerns:
1. I am in CA, and I want the car to remain (reasonably) smog legal/able to pass smog legally with minor things like reprogramming the computer, etc. I'm paralyzed, and have basically had to clone a 1LE since I can't drive a stick and I love my car, so "sell it and buy a new ZL1-1LE" is not an option. I want to keep my 2017. My job affords me about 5.5 months off a year, and that's the time I'm always at the track/strip, so yes I track the car and plan on tracking/dragging it even more. But I love nothing more than driving this car every day.

2. Will dropping in pistons and rods negatively impact the car's ability to pass smog? I'm absolutely terrified of blowing the car up which is why I want the drop-ins - I'd basically be purchasing an easing of my mind.

3. Does it make sense to have two sets of pulleys? A set for the track and a "smaller" set for the strip? I've read through the forums that the forced induction applications fare much better in short bursts like a 1/4 mile at a time. Prolonged boost may increase the liklihood of superknock/ring failure, so perhaps a "larger" set of pulleys for the track to pull up on the boost may be a decent safety measure. I think I'd like the supercharger for the track solely to increase the speed of the car. I basically would like to take the LT1 to its most reasonable extreme. 455 horses is just not enough for me and what I want for the car.

4. Is the rear wing on the ZL1-1LE as much of an aerodynamic hindrance for the drag strip as many people claim? If so, is there a simple solution like removing the wing before I'd plan on dragging the car and just covering the holes with plugs until I track the car again? The reason I am asking this is I am unsure of how involved swapping the wing out would be. I would consider a reasonable "strip-swap" installing the drag pack. Would switching the wing out be equivalent to this in terms of involvement, or would it take hours?

5. Any idea what a potential 1/4 ET would be with just a Whipple, tune, E85, drag pack and drop-in pistons?

Thanks ahead of time for any answers/thoughts. I really appreciate it, guys. Also, if possible, please let me know if there are any other parts I should consider in the above to help out (catch can??). Thanks again!
Chris_SS is offline   Reply With Quote