Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-13-2023, 12:31 PM   #1
2022csilv

Drives: 2023 Riverside Blue ZL1 A10
Hey Guys, thanks for all the great advice about my 2023 A10, one simple question...

A lot of you have recommended changing the rear differential fluid with the oil change at 500 miles. I have always done (in the past) my oil changes at a Chevy certified dealership with Mobil 1 full synthetic. Would a dealership be where I would get the rear differential fluid changed? Would they do that for me? And should I use OEM fluid?
2022csilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 01:14 PM   #2
JoeTX

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
the dealership will be able to do that for you, i think it was $189.99 before taxes for me.
JoeTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 01:15 PM   #3
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
A dealer can and will do the rear diff fluid for you, I’d use the OEM stuff as I’ve used it myself at 500 though I did it myself. I checked if the dealer near me would do it which they confirmed they would but charge an hour of labor for the 10 minute job.
Old 04-13-2023, 02:58 PM   #4
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Yes, any GM dealership will do this for you. They'll do any work on a GM product but if you can do this yourself, save your money and do it yourself. And yes, use OEM. Nothing wrong with OEM and no one has had any issues using OEM fluids on a stock or even a modded car. You'll find others that say you should use something other than OEM but there is NOTHING wrong with OEM fluids for a stock or even lightly modded vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTX View Post
the dealership will be able to do that for you, i think it was $189.99 before taxes for me.
Geez. $190? Ridiculous considering it's a less than 10 minute job and the fluid costs around $16 a bottle (on Amazon) and you only need 2 bottles.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 03:15 PM   #5
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I'd wait till closer to 1000 miles to change the fluid. I did mine at 500 miles and it could have gone a little longer. It's pretty easy to change if you like DIY.

I would definitely use the GM fluid. It has the right amount of slip additive in it and is what the dealer will use if they change the fluid.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 03:27 PM   #6
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Get it changed early (at least 1000 miles) - mine looked pretty bad at 2000 (same with my SS). Do it yourself - EASY job

I only use Amsoil Severe Gear with "slip lock" additive https://www.amsoil.com/p/slip-lock-adatb/ - I've seen the standardized tests and real world operation on many forums it is the best stuff you can buy. "Only use OEM" guys will always yell the loudest but they don't know anything about these products
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 05:07 PM   #7
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Get it changed early (at least 1000 miles) - mine looked pretty bad at 2000 (same with my SS). Do it yourself - EASY job

I only use Amsoil Severe Gear with "slip lock" additive https://www.amsoil.com/p/slip-lock-adatb/ - I've seen the standardized tests and real world operation on many forums it is the best stuff you can buy. "Only use OEM" guys will always yell the loudest but they don't know anything about these products
Plenty of us have used the OEM stuff for years with no issues. That also includes road course time. We're not the loudest, we're just stating facts. Yes, you have data but where is the data for the ZL1 for amsoil? Since not every engine or drive train components are the same for every vehicle.

Everyone is free to use what they want but if the OEM stuff is doing its job then why fix it?

Can you tell me how many engines or transmissions or elsd's have failed in the ZL1 while using the OEM stuff (not talking about the oil pump since that can fail using any fluid)? Stock or lightly modded.

Now when it comes to a very modded car then you need to use something other than OEM because now you're going outside the boundaries of what the factory tested the vehicle for.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 05:25 PM   #8
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
I did my diff fluid at 500 miles for the first time and every year after. It was very contaminated at 500. At 29,000 it was only slightly dirty with maybe 10,000 miles on it.

I order all my GM fluids through Amazon, including the ULV ATF fluid.I wound up flushing 3.5 gallons through my trans for this season. I only changed out 2 gallons at about 10,000 miles before that.

Engine oil? I rolled the dice and used Euro non Dexos 0W-40 Mobil 1 for daily driving for the first 20K miles and 15W-50 for track days. Now that its easier to get, I've switched to Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40 and 5W-50. The car has been trouble free so far.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote