Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-24-2019, 11:02 PM   #1
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
PS4S Cold Weather Issues?

I have PS4S's on my 1LE, temps are rapidly dropping here in MI and next week might get some temps right around freezing. Realistically, I might have a few morning commutes in the mid-high 30s.

I understand performance will be poor and possibly dangerous at freezing/near freezing temps, but I'm more concerned with actually damaging the rubber. I know the stock SC3s had issues with cracking and warnings about running them at any temps under 40 degrees. I can't find anything specific about causing damage to PS4S unless they are exposed to temps under 20 F, and that's on the Tire Rack site. I do see general comments that summer tires shouldn't be used under 40 degrees as well.

Ideally, I'd like to run my PS4S as long as possible before switching to my winter setup. Am I safe driving right around freezing and squeezing another couple 40-50 degree weeks of use out of them?
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:23 AM   #2
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I would. I don't plan on switching my set for a few more weeks close to Turkey Day. But mine are indoors overnite in a heated garage, I might have reservations if sitting out overnight in those temps, and, driving them if it were happening day-after-day.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
camaroJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
I would. I don't plan on switching my set for a few more weeks close to Turkey Day. But mine are indoors overnite in a heated garage, I might have reservations if sitting out overnight in those temps, and, driving them if it were happening day-after-day.
Cool, that's what I'm planning on. Mine are in a garage that isn't dropping below 50 degrees for now.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The only thing Michelin has said is to not try and mount a tire that is below 30° as it will damage the tire. As far as them being on the vehicle, it is safe to drive on them just have to take it easy on them until they warm up.

Goodyear has even revised their warning in regards to the SC3 as well, you can drive on them as well. The issue is mounting/dismounting them when they are cold or frozen and or storing them outside for the season in freezing temps.

I drove on my OEM SC3 all the time in 30° with zero issues other than traction related, I drove on my MP4S all the time with zero issues, again only being traction is reduced when they are cold and or cold/wet.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
We must be related. I just posted concerns with my 4S's as well. In MI also.

Have you noticed huge pressure fluctuations?

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Below 45 you will notice that back end hops around a bit when going around turns. PS4S will be fine as long as you use your brain when applying throttle as margin of errors get very THIN.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #7
camaroJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueUnicorn View Post
We must be related. I just posted concerns with my 4S's as well. In MI also.

Have you noticed huge pressure fluctuations?
No but I'll start paying attention. I just read your thread, I never had the SC3s on my 1LE (the dealer put on my winter tires right after delivery and before I picked it up) so I don't have much to compare to.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:18 AM   #8
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
PS4S, note....

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

All besides the 2650 is bone stock down to the air filter.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote