Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #239
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Mistakes?

I have found "fastest laps" to be pretty full of them...
I wasn't sure how they come up with the number, do they DYNO first or do they just take the listed power etc. and who are "they" IDK, But yeah, mistakes are always a possibility.

just was a little curious about the numbers and thought 664HP would be a nice little surprise power bump...
Old 06-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #240
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I'm seeing a symbolic slash / here. I don't see how a NA car can hang with this. Has a new king been crowned so the Z/28 can retire pure NA?
I don't see any way an N/A Camaro could hang with this monster.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #241
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I wasn't sure how they come up with the number, do they DYNO first or do they just take the listed power etc. and who are "they" IDK, But yeah, mistakes are always a possibility.

just was a little curious about the numbers and thought 664HP would be a nice little surprise power bump...
Fastestlaps.com is nothing more than a data-collection site. They don't actually do any testing or validation.

So if a manufacturer lists their HP figures, fastestlaps parrots it, and apparently uses the "PS" units of measure. In some cases, I've found them to list US HP under the PS column.

No power bump - the ZL1 1LE that ran the Nurburgring is exactly as specified by Chevy when it was released, with the exception of a safety roll bar, racing seats, and harness.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #242
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I don't see any way an N/A Camaro could hang with this monster.
The same way the Porsche GT3 was faster. If they make it light enough, it could do it.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #243
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The same way the Porsche GT3 was faster. If they make it light enough, it could do it.
Well yeah I guess that would work but at what price point would that make the car come in at?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 06-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #244
Bhobbs

Quote:
Well yeah I guess that would work but at what price point would that make the car come in at?
That would depend on how much power they can make n/a and how much weight can easily be stripped from the ZL1 1LE to build a Z/28.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #245
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That would depend on how much power they can make n/a and how much weight can easily be stripped from the ZL1 1LE to build a Z/28.
If the engine made 550 HP they'd need to lose ~400 lbs. That would be a pretty gutted out car with few takers. I'd bet there is a bigger market for a 550 HP Z/28 that isn't faster than the ZL1-1LE if it retained 1SS level equipment.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #246
shaffe

Quote:
If the engine made 550 HP they'd need to lose ~400 lbs. That would be a pretty gutted out car with few takers. I'd bet there is a bigger market for a 550 HP Z/28 that isn't faster than the ZL1-1LE if it retained 1SS level equipment.
Basically a SS-1LE on roids. If people didn't "need" the Z/28 to be the ultimate camaro like the 5th gen model, that would work quite well IMO.

But the 5th gen model seemed to put the Z/28 up on a pedestal lol
Old 06-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #247
Bhobbs

Quote:
I agree. Take the 1SS 1LE and build the Z/28 from there. It may not be the absolute fastest Camaro but I don't think it needs to be. The ZL1 1LE is setting such an insane high point, I would be surprised if the C7 Z06/Z07 didn't struggle with it.

Quote:
Basically a SS-1LE on roids. If people didn't "need" the Z/28 to be the ultimate camaro like the 5th gen model, that would work quite well IMO.

That would be the best route. A 525-550 hp SS 1LE+ would be awesome.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #248

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

Agreed. The 5thGen Z/28 was the product of a perfect storm of circumstances that made it possible...LS7 availability, (last gasp for a retiring power-plant), significant weight reductions, etc., etc.,....Those features that made the Z/28 unique are gone or impractical in the 6thGen...

The closest thing now to a Z/28 is the GT4R...It actually races sanctioned events, has the best in handling, N/A, etc....It just needs to be street legal somehow....(Not gonna happen)...If the love of the Z/28 track formula is great enough, build and track a GT4R....
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #249
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
I know the 1LE has always been a manual car. But what about people with disabilities that don't have the option of driving a stick? I really think Chevy should take a look at building A1Z (I'm calling it that from now on) with the Auto-10. I can really see the hate flowing just like we saw when they announced the A1Z after people ordered the standard ZL1.. People would prob sell and re-buy. Which is a win win for some who could buy a used A1Z, and chevy making a few more sales.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #250
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
As noted earlier the driver is Bill Wise who is an engineer working on the program here are a few comments from him over on Rennlist where he posts under 2BWISE - "I saw the link from the Racing and DE thread and came over to take a peak. Thanks for the kind words. The Ring is a hell of a track and it was actually really fun getting to go over and do something like this. Hope you enjoyed the video! Its rewarding to be able to go there and get an opportunity to run a fast lap with a vehicle we spent over a year and a half developing. I'm hoping maybe a few of you will get a chance to experience one at some point. Or at least get to run with one at a track day near you. That lap was exactly my 125th lap. Its kind of surprising that I know that but during development you only do 2 or 3 laps before making changes so I kept a running tally in my notebook. I've made two trips there as a driver now and that equals about 16 days on the track. I think total I have 150 laps now.
The biggest thing for me was making use of the resources available to learn the track and get up to speed. Lots of data analysis! Lots of time on a sim before I went thru the IP training. And then making use of the local knowledge from some of our Opel counterparts"

So there you have it - 125 laps of prep and uber talent and you get an amazing ring time!

Way to go Bill
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #251
LSmith353

Drives: 2015 Ultimate Track SS
Quote:
Someone mentioned this back on the first page but here is what appears to be a 7 Liter DOHC LS motor . http://www.mercuryracing.com/mercury-racing-reveals-sb4-7-0-automotive-crate-engine/ I'm sure this example is not emissions compliant but 775 HP normally aspirated is a good place to start for the ZR1 and Z/28.

From the link--
The naturally aspirated, 7.0 Liter engine features Mercury Racing’s exclusive aluminum four valve cylinder heads and dual overhead camshaft valve train integrated with a LS cylinder block packed with Mercury Racing designed and specified hardware.

This proven valve train, which greatly enhances engine durability over a standard two-valve design, enables the engine to produce a staggering 775 horsepower at 7500 RPM on pump fuel!
2010 2SS/RS M6 -- SOLD
LSmith353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #252
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
this car needs paddle shifters to shave off more time.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote