Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 12-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #15
sbindley

Drives: 2013 Pontiac Trans Am
The cool thing about this version is it will have more non-Camaro parts on it than the Trans Ams that came before it from Pontiac.
sbindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #16
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbindley View Post
The cool thing about this version is it will have more non-Camaro parts on it than the Trans Ams that came before it from Pontiac.
I'm just excited to see it. I checked their website but there weren't any photos of a Gen6 car.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #17
sbindley

They are being very protective of the new model design but are very excited about some of the new styling choices outside and inside.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
Absolutely not a dig. I'm just 100% a Pontiac fan.
There are a whole lot of Pontiac fans out there who would buy a "Pontiac" Trans Am if GM would make one. They sold over 100K Trans Ams (over 210K Firebirds total) in ONE year back in 1979, and the Firebird was more expensive than the Camaro. Honestly, if GM had been smart, they would have created a special performance division during the crisis to make the Camaro, Corvette, and Firebird/Trans Am, plus keep the Solstice alive, too. I know, 20/20 hindsight.

I'm serious, overall sales would be way better for GM right now, because whether younger people know it or not, or like it or not, the Firebird was considered to be a more upscale and middle-class car, while the Camaro was associated with rednecks and mullets. Old images die hard, and while people on here may have a more recent view of things, I guarantee the majority of the buying public still has those images. I'm sure GM knows this, too, but politically and organizationally, they can't get something like this to happen.

With the mid-engine Corvette, no one knows for sure what happens to the current model. I think GM should create a new division, move both Corvettes and the Camaro there, start making a Trans Am package again, and allow Cadillac/Buick dealers to sell the performance line, too.

Think about it, instead of a nebulous "1LE" package that no one but Chevy history buffs care about, they could save those goodies for a Trans Am that has Firebird styling cues. Go ahead and let the ZL1 be a Camaro. Or, make the "1LE" a Formula, and make the upcoming Z/28 package have an equivalent Trans Am version. You could even let the Z/28 have whatever V8 is going to go in there, and have a Trans Am with the 3.6L TT engine from the ATS-V, which sells only a few thousand per year.

The fifth Gen version of the "Trans Am" hit most of the buttons, but you really need the engine turned dash with unique gauges, and the unique steering wheel, things that would be easy for GM to do. Then, like the custom version, you absolutely must have the shaker, the fender vents, the rounded spoiler, and the screaming chicken, along with the Pontiac looking front fascia and slotted taillights.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #19
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
I'm serious, overall sales would be way better for GM right now, because whether younger people know it or not, or like it or not, the Firebird was considered to be a more upscale and middle-class car, while the Camaro was associated with rednecks and mullets.
You made me laugh because it painted the perfect picture in my head. I have always considered the T/A and Firebird to be a step above the Camaro. This lead to my serious disappointment when GM killed Pontiac.

Instead of a ZL1 we could have a T/A WS6! or instead of a 1LE we could have a Formula Firebird.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
Old 12-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #20
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
They are being very protective of the new model design but are very excited about some of the new styling choices outside and inside.
It will for sure be one of a kind. If I may ask, what kind of cost are you looking at?
Old 12-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #21
sbindley

I guess I am a Pontiac fan -- had a G8 GXP for a while and still have a 600 hp Solstice Coupe.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #22
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
Quote:
and still have a 600 hp Solstice Coupe.
I bet that thing is a beast! I always liked the Solstice coupe and wouldn't mind finding one to make into a dedicated track car.

Also COmaro, I like the way you think lol. I have always favored Pontiac over all other GM divisions. Just something about the Firebirds and GTO's that did it for me. Still love the 6th gen but would jump all over a Firebird if it were still being made.
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #23
sbindley

Solstice Coupe:

Old 12-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #24
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
My Camaro's stable mate is a 1985 Trans Am.....two cars could not be more different yet fun in their own ways. Love my TA!
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #25
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
Couldn't be more excited to see this come to fruition! Long live the Trans Am!
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:12 AM   #26
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_ETCS_ret View Post
I miss Pontiac.... If Pontiac were still around I would choose the Firebird over the Camaro.

Yup.

My other Firebird was a '87 Formula. Recaro seats, Manual. Sweet Ride.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:15 AM   #27
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Solstice Coupe:

Thats just insane and I'm totally in love with it!
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:36 AM   #28
sub_ETCS_ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post

Yup.

My other Firebird was a '87 Formula. Recaro seats, Manual. Sweet Ride.
I had an '87 Formula 350. No Recaros, I loved that car.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk