Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-23-2024, 07:09 PM   #1
weekend_cruiser

Drives: 23' 2SS 1LE M6;19' Sierra 1500 AT4
Lightbulb Assumed Wrong, Exhaust Track

Another exhaust thread . I have owned my 2SS 1LE for about 9 months now and I drive in Sport mode about 90% of the time except in the few instances where I put it in Tour mode entering and leaving my neighborhood. Within the 9 months of ownership, I tried Track mode once and didn’t particularly care for the stiffer suspension, heavy steering and linear throttle. More importantly I thought the exhaust was as loud as it got in Sport mode.

This past week, I decided to give Track mode another try since we have already started summer here. Boy was I wrong about the exhaust. Track mode is quite a bit louder than Sport and has this coarseness/grittiness in the exhaust note. I love it . I didn’t put two and two together when others were removing the NPP fuse. I am not going to remove the fuse since I like the NPP functionality but now I know that Track mode is loud. Also really liking the linear throttle response now that I have spent about a week with it. I feel like the linear throttle leads to smoother shifting and driving imo. Needless to say, I now drive in Track mode all the time except when it rains.

Anyone else have a similar story?
weekend_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 08:19 PM   #2
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
One can de-link the settings individually, such that selection of the overall "Mode" does NOT *necessarily* change the specific settings for steering, suspension and/or exhaust, unless you want to have it control all that (which is the default).

Throttle response always sticks with the top-level mode selection, IIRC.

IOW, for each element (steering / suspension / exhaust) you can let the "Mode" control the level chosen, or have any (or all) element(s) NOT be changed by the overall Mode selection, and you can do those separately.

(It's been covered in other threads for more detail.)
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:04 PM   #3
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I leave my exhaust in track all the time in the settings menu and have the rest of the car in tour mode for the softer suspension and steering response. Sport and track mode are not kind to gas milage and comfort.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:23 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I keep my ZL1 in Sport Mode most all the time and the exhaust set in Track Mode.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:23 AM   #5
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
One can de-link the settings individually, such that selection of the overall "Mode" does NOT *necessarily* change the specific settings for steering, suspension and/or exhaust, unless you want to have it control all that (which is the default).

Throttle response always sticks with the top-level mode selection, IIRC.

IOW, for each element (steering / suspension / exhaust) you can let the "Mode" control the level chosen, or have any (or all) element(s) NOT be changed by the overall Mode selection, and you can do those separately.

(It's been covered in other threads for more detail.)
Yep, aware of the delinking but prefer to quickly change modes w/o going into the infotainment. I actually wish there was a personal mode that you could toggle to with the mode switch and and in this personal mode you can set whatever parameters you want. I had a Q50 in a past life that offered a personal mode like this in addition to Sport, Tour, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
I leave my exhaust in track all the time in the settings menu and have the rest of the car in tour mode for the softer suspension and steering response. Sport and track mode are not kind to gas milage and comfort.
Haha, agree with you on the gas aspect. I also engage the rev match which is even more hard on gas but love the sound so fine tradeoff for me . I average 18-19 mpg driving it hard most of the time so overall not too bad. Suspension is too soft for me in Tour mode so I don't often use Tour mode unless I want the exhaust quiet or particularly bad stretch of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I keep my ZL1 in Sport Mode most all the time and the exhaust set in Track Mode.
Nice. Do you prefer the pronounced throttle response in Sport mode compared to the linear in Track mode?
Old 02-24-2024, 11:00 AM   #6
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Tour mode is great for any bump in the road. I sort of have my local area "mapped out" in my head for when I want to activate it. I'm pretty surprised at how plush it gets actually. Feels a bit too squishy in the corners, so Sport mode is still my go to, but it's nice to have that option for train tracks, bumps etc.

Apparantly I'm going to have to try track mode exhaust for longer, I was also under the impression it wasn't much louder then sport. Will have to test that =P

Last edited by speedyink1; 02-24-2024 at 11:12 AM.
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:23 AM   #7
Camby

Drives: 2023/2SS/1LE/RadiantRed/A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend_cruiser View Post
Another exhaust thread . I have owned my 2SS 1LE for about 9 months now and I drive in Sport mode about 90% of the time except in the few instances where I put it in Tour mode entering and leaving my neighborhood. Within the 9 months of ownership, I tried Track mode once and didn’t particularly care for the stiffer suspension, heavy steering and linear throttle. More importantly I thought the exhaust was as loud as it got in Sport mode.

This past week, I decided to give Track mode another try since we have already started summer here. Boy was I wrong about the exhaust. Track mode is quite a bit louder than Sport and has this coarseness/grittiness in the exhaust note. I love it . I didn’t put two and two together when others were removing the NPP fuse. I am not going to remove the fuse since I like the NPP functionality but now I know that Track mode is loud. Also really liking the linear throttle response now that I have spent about a week with it. I feel like the linear throttle leads to smoother shifting and driving imo. Needless to say, I now drive in Track mode all the time except when it rains.

Anyone else have a similar story?

Track mode is louder because of the higher average rpm’s not because of any exhaust setting. Dual mode exhaust has only 2 settings: opened or closed. Track and sport have the same exhaust setting, always open. Tour is open at start and closed most other times. Snow/ice is closed most of the time. I think I read that tour and snow/ice will open the exhaust in high demand situations, I could be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2024, 12:17 PM   #8
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camby View Post
Track and sport have the same exhaust setting, always open.

I believe in Track and Sport settings the valves still close once you reach cruising speeds with low rpm’s. Then the valves open back up as soon as you get into the throttle.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:47 PM   #9
tenargo57

Drives: Car
Quote:
Track mode is louder because of the higher average rpm’s not because of any exhaust setting.

That's mostly because you have an automatic transmission. Track mode opens the valves at a lower RPM than sport. You can change the exhaust settings independently of the mode you're in. It wouldn't make sense to have a separate exhaust modes for sport and track if they were the same thing.
tenargo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:57 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Track mode is louder because of the higher average rpm’s not because of any exhaust setting. Dual mode exhaust has only 2 settings: opened or closed. Track and sport have the same exhaust setting, always open. Tour is open at start and closed most other times. Snow/ice is closed most of the time. I think I read that tour and snow/ice will open the exhaust in high demand situations, I could be wrong though.
Only two physical states for the exhaust is my personal experience, too.

However, the interesting thing is that the associated tables in the tune itself have a range of settings from -1 to 100 per rpm and torque (or is it maybe airflow?), and these ranges are actually used---the numbers in the tune aren't just -1 or 100, but many different intermediate values for various rpm and torque ranges, as if the valves could move into various positions.

By the way, the sport and track mode exhaust valve tables are different, track mode opens the valve much earlier in the rom and torque range, the only time they're closed in track mode is highway cruising, whereas in sport mode the exhaust remains quiet for a broader range.

The stealth exhaust mode is the only one that keeps the valves closed all the time, which is also why it isn't recommended for high demand (read: road course/track driving).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:02 PM   #11
weekend_cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink1 View Post
Tour mode is great for any bump in the road. I sort of have my local area "mapped out" in my head for when I want to activate it. I'm pretty surprised at how plush it gets actually. Feels a bit too squishy in the corners, so Sport mode is still my go to, but it's nice to have that option for train tracks, bumps etc.

Apparantly I'm going to have to try track mode exhaust for longer, I was also under the impression it wasn't much louder then sport. Will have to test that =P
You should give it a try and let us know if you hear a difference .

Quote:

I thought so at first but I was wrong. I have gone back and forth between the 2 modes and there is an audible difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I believe in Track and Sport settings the valves still close once you reach cruising speeds with low rpm’s. Then the valves open back up as soon as you get into the throttle.
It is interesting because I feel like in Track on the highway while cruising, I still hear the exhaust more than in Sport.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:18 PM   #12
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I keep it mine in tour mode, because I’m stupid. when I hit the throttle, I need that delay to avoid the guard rail Exit stage left.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:27 PM   #13
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Cruiser,

------------------------------------
Yep, aware of the delinking but prefer to quickly change modes w/o going into the infotainment. I actually wish there was a personal mode
------------------------------------

Agreed x2, and yes, I also gave up on using "Mode" alone to switch, because of the overall changes that would occur.

Some very sharp people on here have stated, and we should believe them, that they could pretty easily re-write the code to offer some of this added functionality and control -- if only GM would let them.

:-(
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 06:52 AM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
weekend_cruiser, I do prefer Sport Mode over Track Mode driving the car but sometimes I will get the urge to switch modes to Track to get a different feel of the car especially if the road is twisty.