Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-17-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
aa21

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro
Convertible-Washing?

I have a question for all the convertible owners here, how do you wash your convertible? I know you all wash your cars yourself, but where I live (a condo) there is no place for me to wash my car myself. I was thinking of going to those car washes where you can wash your car yourself, but I don’t have a whole lot of them around my area and some of them are a bit sketchy or a couple miles from where I live. So how would a convertible fair with going through an automated car wash but one that is touch less? Let me know what y’all think.
aa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
So honestly when I had my 5th gen vert I had a guy that would come to me and wash it, had a whole setup in his truck, water tank and all, touch-less washes, and was only like 40 for a wash.This was 5 years ago too, I know it’s a pretty common service these days so you shouldn't have trouble finding someone.
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
BlakeR
😁😁😁😁😁

Drives: 1ss
Check out some videos online about “waterless wash” and “rinseless wash.” Two different things but one may work for you if your car doesn't get too dirty. ONR rinseless wash Is one brand.
BlakeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I live in a house but use coin car washes. They have a ton of water pressure and even have a touch less stall if you don’t want to wash by hose.

Last edited by Aragorn; 10-17-2021 at 08:39 PM.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
aa21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeR View Post
Check out some videos online about “waterless wash” and “rinseless wash.” Two different things but one may work for you if your car doesn't get too dirty. ONR rinseless wash Is one brand.
I was thinking of this one too, because it wouldn’t get me into trouble with the condo management lol. How about the top itself, what is the best way to wash it.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:59 PM   #6
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa21 View Post
I was thinking of this one too, because it wouldn’t get me into trouble with the condo management lol. How about the top itself, what is the best way to wash it.

For the top, check out RaggTopp or 303. They make cleaners and protectants. I know there are some others, I just don't remember any now.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:45 AM   #7
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Touchless car washes can be fine for convertible cars. But I would not do it as frequently as a hard top.

I used to have a Saturn Sky Redline and I would go through touchless car washes every now and then. When the sprayer passed over the windows, I would get a few drops of water through the seals. I just dried the areas with a towel afterwards.

I have been using Meguair's waterless carwash for the last few years and it is great. And for the top, 303 protectant is excellent.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #8
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
Rinseless is the way to go. In the summer I keep the top down all the time. I do not need to clean it. Rinseless allows me to keep the top down and wash with a soft MF towel. Drying is a challenge when the car is warm and the outdoor temp is high.

So I spray some wax or detailer on the car or soak the drying rag.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
how do you wash your convertible?
My car is PPFd and coated, and isn't daily driven, so it doesn't really get that dirty. But before shows and meets, she gets a two bucket wash with a blow dry. Adams car shampoo & a Chemical Guys Chenille wash mitt. Chemical Guys gerbil brush for the grille & wheels. Half-dozen low-pile cheapo microfibers for the parts of the spokes the gerbil brush can't get, as well as the exhaust, and undersides of the splitter/rockers. Wheel woolies for the wheel barrels.

For the top I use a sticky tear-off lint roller (which has 2 coats of 303 Fabric Guard installed at 2017 and still beads wter). I don't think I've wet washed the top in 2 years because it hasn't needed it. Lint roller gets 99% of what gets on the top. And the top is never up when the car is being driven. It's just a dust cover for the interior when she's parked in the garage.

I have a foam cannon and gas pressure washer. Haven't needed it for a couple years (car hasn't been that dusty/gritty/sandy to the point where wet-wiping would risk swirls).

Quote:
So how would a convertible fair with going through an automated car wash but one that is touch less?
That's a negative, ghost rider. I wouldn't want that high pressure washer blasting the fabric.

My preferences would be:
  1. Use a hose at your condo (most have them), or
  2. Go to a coin-op place with my two bucket wash kit and use the hose there.
  3. Relocate to a more car-guy friendly residence.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #10
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
How about the top itself, what is the best way to wash it.
If a lint roller won't remove the dirt then I wash the canvas top with a soft microfiber towel and scrub very gently. GM says brushes can damage the canvas so I don't recommend them (even soft brushes).
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:26 PM   #11
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
I used a small paint roller to apply 303 convertible top protectorate. I use plain water and a clean small terry cloth towel to wash the top when I wash the car. I also use a lint roller to clean the dust or lint off. Car wash soap will diminish the 303 protectorate. It still looks new. I made the mistake of using a power washer on our last car and it damaged the threads of the cloth top.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #12
aa21

I took a look at the 303 cleaner and I think that would work great for when the top is actually dirty. I also think the lint roller would work for those times where it isn’t “dirty”. And I think the best way to get the car washed is to go to a hand car wash and save the thought of getting the convertible top damaged.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:47 PM   #13
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
I took a look at the 303 cleaner and I think that would work great for when the top is actually dirty. I also think the lint roller would work for those times where it isn’t “dirty”. And I think the best way to get the car washed is to go to a hand car wash and save the thought of getting the convertible top damaged.
Yes, hand wash. Clean the top with a sponge, soap and water (303 cleaner does work, but isn’t necessary) Let the top thoroughly dry and then coat with 303 fabric guard (twice, with a foam roller) You can use a REAL horsehair brush to clean of pollen dust etc. (sold on Amazon) Clearly, use a lint roller for lint.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 02:08 AM   #14
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Convertible-Washing?

Use a lint roller for the top and wash at a pay station when ever you can.

I use the RaggTop brush when I had my s550 coyote vert. Really gentle but deep cleans and didn’t pill up my top.

https://s.yimg.com/aah/autogeek/ragg...p-brush-33.gif

I used Griots convertible top cleaner as it rinses clean.

https://s.yimg.com/aah/autogeek/grio...cleaner-27.gif

As for washing car look into a rinseless over most waterless washes. To do it the safest without marring your paint, look up Gary Dean method.

Use alot of microfiber towels.

If you love your car, like to keep it as swirl free as you can and dont mind spending a little dough, check out Ammo NYC Frothe

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxRPQLh_zA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote