#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #29
Fak_Ork

Drives: Silverado RST 21, 3.0, Crew, Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I owned a red 2007 3 series N54 TT sport manual 4 door. It was a blast to drive especially after I added a turbo altitude fooler which added about 25 RWHP without a tune. One of my favorite cars ever.

To me my m6 LT1 is equally fun to drive. To me I also see the LT1 as a two door 3 series with a stonkin Chevy smallblock. I plan to keep it as long as I can still drive it.

I think you already know what you want to do so do whatever floats your boat. Have fun and report back to us how you like the beemer. If you have the $$ to burn to have fun.
Lot of great comments, yes Nebraska is a good place to drive... anything.

This is by no means a settled issue although the 1SS with MRC and the M240i are clearly my top two choices.

If I can get in and out of the Camaro it's got a great shot, can probably save 5-8k for a 1SS being realistic about supply and demand. Had been looking at the CT4-V regular and Blackwing, still not completely out of the question- same with the AMG A35.
Fak_Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #30
Fak_Ork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
I say go for it, I am planning on selling my 16 SS and buying either a 21+ M4 or 20+ M8.
Why not another 2SS or ZL1, Corvette C8 or something along those lines? Just find those particular Beemers appealing? Curious as your situation should provide you a good reference. I'd really love the new M3 with it's weird tall grill and frenzied performance but I think that's just a bit out of my price range.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #31
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fak_Ork View Post
Why not another 2SS or ZL1, Corvette C8 or something along those lines? Just find those particular Beemers appealing? Curious as your situation should provide you a good reference. I'd really love the new M3 with it's weird tall grill and frenzied performance but I think that's just a bit out of my price range.
I am just looking for something a little more luxurious but is still decently quick, the M4 is faster than an SS and the M8 is about as fast or slightly faster than a ZL1. I thought about Vettes but wanted more luxury with my speed. I have had Camaros all of my life and I am getting older now and just want something a little more refined.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #32
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
I'm 59 and have had off and on lower back pain while driving.My camaro doesn't bother my back. I think the blackwing be awesome . Just my opinion.
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #33
Fak_Ork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorrs View Post
I'm 59 and have had off and on lower back pain while driving.My camaro doesn't bother my back. I think the blackwing be awesome . Just my opinion.
Agreed. At 50 I'm also worried about the act of dropping myself into the vehicle. A little easier can't hurt but I'm keeping an open mind.

Quote:
I am just looking for something a little more luxurious but is still decently quick, the M4 is faster than an SS and the M8 is about as fast or slightly faster than a ZL1. I thought about Vettes but wanted more luxury with my speed. I have had Camaros all of my life and I am getting older now and just want something a little more refined.
I hear you. If I could more reasonably swing it, I think M3 would be ideal for a balance of brutal dynamics and reasonable livability.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:46 PM   #34
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
The newly released M240i is a rear drive based coupe with a 382 HP turbo V6 that always seems to punch well above it's weight- the M340i with the same engine is virtually a match for 0-60 and 1/4 mile acceleration times of the Camaro SS.

Two door, grown a bit larger with time but projected to slot in at about the same weight as the SS.

So:

Attitude

2 doors

Gas motor (and by all accounts a lusty, blown howler that rips) yet designed brand new for this weird transitory world

+ 2" of height, might be too comfortable and usable but can we adapt?

Priced in the realm of the 2SS Camaro (48500k base price for the M240i XDrive, eventually the RWD only version should be released)

No MT- I get this one. If that's your deal, better get your order in for a 22 SS or LT1 or start trolling Autotrader

I post this as a serious shopper of both of these cars, Camaro 1SS or the Bmw M240i. The Camaro warranty is 1 year longer but goes out of bumper to bumper 1 year earlier. I've read that these cars if maintained diligently can give reliable service, but repairs won't be cheap.

Anyone else cross shop these automotive birds of a feather?
They’re very nice cars but the lack of v8 rumble is the deal breaker for me.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #35
Umbriel

Quote:

I hear you. If I could more reasonably swing it, I think M3 would be ideal for a balance of brutal dynamics and reasonable livability.
I agree but I don't want a four door, I have a 2018 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport as a daily already. I am really leaning towards the M8, people have gone 10s in them stock so that would be a very nice luxurious fast car to have fun in.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #36
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
They’re very nice cars but the lack of v8 rumble is the deal breaker for me.
That's one reason I'm leaning towards the M8.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #37
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Had been looking at the CT4-V regular and Blackwing, still not completely out of the question- same with the AMG A35.

Oh I completely forgot about the CT4-V regular. I had been considering it before settling on my current car. It was super rare in my area.

I'd give that strong consideration as well. Every review I've seen/ready cites very good driving dynamics, basically calling it a 4 door Camaro (given that they are on the same platform). It'll definitely be a little slower than the SS and M240i though.

A bare bones one will likely be cheaper than a bare bones M240i as well.

Only look at the RWD one, since that's the one with magnetic suspension.

The Blackwing is likely going to be marked up to hell and even more hard to find.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #38
flobb

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 Coupe. Black + Redline
Seeing that you mentioned the CT4-V regular which is a step down in performance, have you had a look at the Genesis G70 3.3t?

I want my next car to be a 2SS. But if I can't get my wife to agree, the G70 is a serious contender for me. Also thinking about CT4-v or CT5-v, probably leaning toward the 5 because it's larger and more practical if I'm being forced into a practical car.
Though at this point who knows when gm will ever resume production on non-blackwing caddies. They've been full stopped since May. At least Camaros have been off/on.

and if you don't care about warranty despite genesis/kia being the longest; the g70/stinger have piggy-back tuners available to unlock reportedly camaro beating performance.
flobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #39
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
That's one reason I'm leaning towards the M8.

BMW V8's are notorious for having garbage valve seals and will burn a ton of oil with time. Just putting this out here.

Again, lease, don't buy.

If you have to have a German V8, MB is the best from what I have heard. I6 is BMW's specialty, not V8. I rode in someone's M5C before and the V8 is super quick, but you will be paying out of your nose once it starts burning oil.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #40
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
BMW V8's are notorious for having garbage valve seals and will burn a ton of oil with time. Just putting this out here.

Again, lease, don't buy.

If you have to have a German V8, MB is the best from what I have heard. I6 is BMW's specialty, not V8. I rode in someone's M5C before and the V8 is super quick, but you will be paying out of your nose once it starts burning oil.
That is with older ones, N63? This particular version, S63, has only been around for 3 years now. Besides I put 2000 miles a year on my toy car so it would probably be a long time before I would have to worry about it.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #41
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
The reliability of the German high strung turbo engines isn't great, so I'll start there. Owning a new one for a few years isn't a big deal, but owning one for long term is not as simple as a NA V8, even though ours are pretty high strung now too. Long term ownership is a risky endeavor due to the availability and cost of parts IMO. I'm reminded of the day (under warranty) my rear-computer in my 4-series just decided to die, everything aft of the front seats that was electronic was dead.

The 1 and 2 series are very nice cars at smaller tracks and autoX. They are nimble and change direction pretty fast.

The new 2 series has gained weight. A 240i x-drive is crazy heavy, as in 3871. 3871. Let that sink in. That is embarrassingly heavy for the size of the car. For this I wouldn't consider it. If I'm buying a car that SIZE, I want the WEIGHT to be lower. If I'm buying a bigger car, I'm willing to sacrifice some weight to have a bigger car. It should be the same going smaller.

An M2C would be a different matter. It's got the weight to HP ratio that kind of makes up for this. Would be nice to be a little lighter, but it's turning out to be a monster on the track. Still, with BMW costs and dealer markups, this ends up being at least 70K, 80+ at my dealership.

If all you care about is going fast in a straight line (as most people do), you will be hard pressed to find fault with these mega-torque turbo I-6 BMWs. They'll launch and not give up. If you care about the track, for the same price as a M240i, you can be in a 2SS 1LE, but the Camaro will be better at bigger tracks and higher speeds. The wheelbase is longer and this limits the performance on tighter stuff, like AutoX. It works ok on AutoX, but a shorter wheelbase like the M240i will be even better, despite fighting it's porky weight. To that extent, a 4cyl or V6 1LE would probably do even better, but won't be as luxurious as a BMW, the cabin isolation, noise isolation, smooth ride, etc.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #42
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
What luxury do you want? The vettes have a very nice interior from C7 and up. Unless you are spending luxury 5-series or E-series and above prices, you aren't going to be doing better. Vettes are more about driving though, so they aren't as isolating as these BMWs.

Or is it road and noise isolation you are looking for? Smoothness of transmission and all of that? Then your 340, 440, might start to make more sense. There's the Stinger V6, very nice acceleration, something different and a good car.
Attached Images

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote