Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 08-06-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Exhaust smell in the car.

Does anyone else get an exhaust smell in the car when you run the ac?

When ever I'm driving and use the ac with the recirculation on I smell like exhaust on my clothes when I get out. And in Las Vegas i'm using the ac a lot.

I almost always have the recirc on with the ac.

The windows are rolled all the way up so there shouldn't be any fumes coming in.

I just wanted to see if any other 1LE owners have noticed this.

I'd rather not take my car in and have a tech driving it all over and then say they didn't find anything.

The car is still completely stock.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #2
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
no that shouldn't happen. sounds like an exhaust leak at the manifold or something. Do you smell it when you pop the hood with the car running?
Old 08-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
2004YZFR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
no that shouldn't happen. sounds like an exhaust leak at the manifold or something. Do you smell it when you pop the hood with the car running?
No I don’t smell anything there or hear a tick or any type of an exhaust leak sound. So it’s kinda weird. I don’t really smell it in the car while driving. But when ever my drive is over and I get out of the car I can smell it on my clothes.

I have a sport bike that has dual pipes that come up under the seat and I’ll get that smell. But the exhaust system is right below and behind so I an see that.

Last edited by 2004YZFR1; 08-28-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Maybe there’s a problem with the AC system that recirculation is drawing air from the exhaust into the car through the rear vents. Try running without recirculation to see if the problem goes away.

I would check the PCV hoses under the hood. The AC system draws fresh air from the engine compartment so maybe there’s a leak that is letting the AC system draw fumes into the car.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
lowandslow88

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
I have a similar issue but it's only on startup. Smells like the AC is blowing in an oil smell for like 20 seconds then it goes away..
lowandslow88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #6
Printman

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowandslow88 View Post
I have a similar issue but it's only on startup. Smells like the AC is blowing in an oil smell for like 20 seconds then it goes away..
If you are smelling oil then you have an oil leak probably blew back on exhaust and at startup you are smelling it burn off. Faulty oil pan gasket, common problem, I had to have mine done under warranty with only 10,000 miles on it.
Printman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #7
2004YZFR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Maybe there’s a problem with the AC system that recirculation is drawing air from the exhaust into the car through the rear vents. Try running without recirculation to see if the problem goes away.

I would check the PCV hoses under the hood. The AC system draws fresh air from the engine compartment so maybe there’s a leak that is letting the AC system draw fumes into the car.
I’ve run the ac both ways and still get the smell. I don’t see anything under the hood that is loose. I’m going to take it in Tuesday and gave them look at. I’m not really happy about having to have a tech take my car out for a joy ride but I need to find out what it is.

It’s not a strong smell, I really only notice the exhaust smell on my clothes when I get out.