Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 05-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #533
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
The whole tread makes an interesting real world read, Thx!
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #534
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
I remember your stories from the Camaro 5 forum, interesting stuff. I think it's time for some skinnies up front and some meaty drag radials out back. Street tires at your power level are holding you back so much at this point. Nice seeing your stories again, check out my youtube channel, some of what you wrote inspired me to get into drag racing with my car.
Yes you are right about the next things to do. Snowblind did offer me to try his old DR Setup. I may take him up on the offer.

Thanks for reading! And I was hoping some might see the fun of it if they have a strip nearby.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #535
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
The whole thread makes an interesting real world read, Thx!
You are welcome. I am certainly no John Force, but I am having fun in the real world.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #536
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yes power to weight. His SS race weight has about 500 pounds on my chubby ZL1. And I am sure I weigh more than Snowblind.

As far as the ZL1 feel you will have to close your eyes and yes it is pretty much the same. But don't try it. As for me I am just tired of the mod game and when the ZL1 came out I knew I would wind up with this car. I decided to stop throwing money away in mods and instead throw it away in depreciation. I have to say this ZL1 is my favorite car ever, other than the 351 Falcon I built as a teenager. But maybe the things that happen in a car in those days is part of the mystique. My early 340 Duster is next.

That Bolt on M6 Mustang has run some 11.4s and also can get a little air under the front tires on a good day. And a clutch and and a rebuilt tranny is in the works. This car is her DD and he has a 10 second NA Fox body I think getting some work done.
Its good to read that your are enjoying the new ZL1 so much. I know you missed your old gen5 ZL1.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #537
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Its good to read that your are enjoying the new ZL1 so much. I know you missed your old gen5 ZL1.
Yes, the more I drive it the more I like it. The A10 is great and although I feel a little lazy driving it, it is a fun transmission. And the programming is really smart. You are NEVER in the wrong gear. The shift behavior changes on how aggressive you are with the throttle. I find myself using 5 tenths of the ZL1 acceleration often just for fun. Gas mileage be damned.

I enjoy long drives with the ZL1 even more than the Gen 5s or the '16 SS. And I drove the 5th gen 1LE to Florida and enjoyed the drive. The 5th Gen ZL1 is right behind the Duster now on my all time list (-the Recaros).

And the new ZL1 does not feel any heavier than the '16 SS. The ZL1 Recaros are much more comfortable than the 5th gen Recaros. It is an all day fun to drive car. And you get out after a long day feeling good, looking forward to the next drive.

The ZL1 NPP is a little louder than all my previous NPPs in a good way. Even in Tour mode (which I select full time for the suspension) the ZL1 is a more capable road car (or race track in track mode) than 98% of the cars on the road. You feel like king of the road.

But the downside is Atco in a way. It is SO MUCH simpler to track an auto than a manual. It is all in the launch, which does take skill. But once you get out of the hole all you have to do is hope for traction going into second. Just a little ho-hum. But it is fast enough to have fun. I have had several people at the track say they miss my '16 SS at Atco and running against me. While I struggled with the launch, I could usually bang the gears. And they miss my ARH LTs running through the NPP open flaps. I do miss both.

But on the whole if I can only have one fun car I prefer the CA6 ZL1, by a mile. While my 5th gen ZL1 was my favorite modern fun car until now, I wonder now how Chevy can improve on this new ZL1. It is almost too good. Maybe they will bury me in it.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:16 AM   #538
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Nice car! I was at Atco a few weeks ago. Getting my nitrous bottle filled. And John told me you traded again. If it ever quits raining. I’ll check it out in person.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #539
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
Nice car! I was at Atco a few weeks ago. Getting my nitrous bottle filled. And John told me you traded again. If it ever quits raining. I’ll check it out in person.
Thanks I have a chance now at least against the Jelena mobile.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:43 AM   #540
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Thanks I have a chance now at least against the Jelena mobile.
Haha that should be easy as can be now. Its currently sitting on 20 inch chrome wheels and street tires. Every since we got the other car running half way decent. I have a hard time justifying throwing money at mommies grocery getter. We're thinking about trading for a GT500 when they come out. Might be able to keep up then.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #541
Fraxum

I went to Atco last night...

And last Wednesday.

Neither night was anything special. The DA was around +1,750 last night. And Pat didn't even bother bringing his stupid fast car. He just sat there with his posse under the timing tower in the shade. I went over to say hello for a while. They were busy analyzing every run. Sometimes it is good to stop and smell the roses.

As for me I did have an unusual night where my best run was my worst 60' 11.649@124.79 with a 1.900 60'. On my other 2 runs my MPH was under 122 mph. I was fooling around with the PDR and might have lifted my foot. My 1/8 mph was 5 mph down on the slower runs. One of the early shifts seemed to hesitate (2-3?) or was it me? I will keep an eye on this. The first run was right off the street, on the other 2 there was cool down time.

But the best part was lining up in the staging lanes with this gorgeous M6 392 Scatpack Challenger. It was lightly customized appearance wise by the owner and the mods really showed off the great lines of the car. Sitting next to this beastly looking Challenger no one noticed Big Red.

The young owner was taking up drag racing for the first time. He had DRs but other wise the car was stock. His very realistic goal was 12.5 once he got the hang of drag racing. Nice guy and smart too. You have to admire the Manual guys. I am no longer in the club.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #542
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
I went to Atco last night...

And last Wednesday.

Neither night was anything special. The DA was around +1,750 last night. And Pat didn't even bother bringing his stupid fast car. He just sat there with his posse under the timing tower in the shade. I went over to say hello for a while. They were busy analyzing every run. Sometimes it is good to stop and smell the roses.

As for me I did have an unusual night where my best run was my worst 60' 11.649@124.79 with a 1.900 60'. On my other 2 runs my MPH was under 122 mph. I was fooling around with the PDR and might have lifted my foot. My 1/8 mph was 5 mph down on the slower runs. One of the early shifts seemed to hesitate (2-3?) or was it me? I will keep an eye on this. The first run was right off the street, on the other 2 there was cool down time.

But the best part was lining up in the staging lanes with this gorgeous M6 392 Scatpack Challenger. It was lightly customized appearance wise by the owner and the mods really showed off the great lines of the car. Sitting next to this beastly looking Challenger no one noticed Big Red.

The young owner was taking up drag racing for the first time. He had DRs but other wise the car was stock. His very realistic goal was 12.5 once he got the hang of drag racing. Nice guy and smart too. You have to admire the Manual guys. I am no longer in the club.

I have a hard time believing that nobody noticed Big Red
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #543
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I have a hard time believing that nobody noticed Big Red
But that was the truth. 3 or 4 groups walked by and stopped to talk to the owner about the Black Challenger. I was lonely sitting in the ZL1 playing my poker app getting ready for a big night in AC.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #544
Fraxum

I went to Atco last night....

The DA was over +2K.

My first run was the best of the night until we got rained out. And I got my first 1.7 60'. So even though the DA was horrible by Atco standards I had one of my best runs. Its all in the 60' AND remembering to keep your foot planted until the win light goes on. Usually in my lane but not this time. Snowblind handed me my second loss. I was going to try to tree him but instead focused on the launch. So did he. We both fell asleep at the light but both recorded our best 60's. He just added a convertor, so good 60's will be the norm for him. He jumped me big time at the light but by the 1/8 I was very slowly reeling him. Just a little.

I made 2 more very forgettable runs after setting my rear tires to 24 pounds. Are the tires cupping a little with less air? Both 60's were 2.0s. In the future I will stop letting air out and see what happens.

I also wore my Eagles Tshirt that says:

"Nobody likes us. We don't care." in honor of the psychopath's 1,000 Eagles fan celebration without the team.

Nobody noticed.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #545
Fraxum

I went to Atco last night....

The Drag Times DA was +1,500 going down to around +1,200 by 9PM.

It was another fun night. We had a stock 2018 A10 GT (12.3), a stock A8 CA6 SS (12.3), a modded TrackHawk (10.8 ET), a stock Demon with the Demon Drag Pack (12.1 LOL and 10.8). The Demon was a phone pic celebrity way more than Big Red.

The racing was fun too. Snowblind is back in the 10s even in humid summer air! My ZL1 is still running mostly 11.5s for three of my four runs except for one spinning 11.8 running Snowblind. I raced Snowblind twice. The first time I left -.3+ early to even things up a bit. But I got too excited and spun at the line. Doh! Jim still beat me by .2778 my 11.837@122.16 to his 11.030@124.13. (Did I lift the pedal again?)

Our next run was the last one for me for the night. Slip below. I knew it was almost hopeless but wanted a perfect run to at least give it my best shot. I was shocked to jump his SS by a couple of cars, but then he shot up right next to me and edged out in front. However the ZL1 HP slowly reeled in his lead. We were fender to fender for most of the 1/4. I thought he edged me out but the win light came on in my lane! The first time I have ever beat a bolton CA6 SS. Kind of funny with a big bad ZL1. I won by .0049. This was one of my most fun races ever. It was exciting for both of us I think.

I caught him sleeping at the light a bit, but that was not enough to win. It turns out it was his turn to be nervous and he spun a bit at the line to slow him down to a 1.720 60'. I'm sure he wants a rematch. None of the NA Mustangs want any part of his white SS. Me either. It is better to be lucky than to be good.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #546
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
That was a good run. At some point (around the 1/8) I looked over to you and felt like I could have passed you a Gatorade.