Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Dodge Challenger V6 rental

Yesterday, I had a business day trip and needed to pick up a rental car. I had the choice between a Grand Caravan and new Dodge Challenger V6 (2600 mils). I made the obvious choice and went with the Challenger. This is the second Challenger V6 I have rented. Overall, my impression was that the V6 Challenger is just car - nothing special. I felt no "coolness" driving V6 Challenger.

Half way through the trip I made a pit stop and picked up some snacks at a carryout. As I walked toward the rental car, a young guy walked by and gave me a nod. It kind of caught me off guard and wasn't sure what it was about. I got into the car and looked around and saw a Dodge Charger at one of the pumps. I was tempted to run back into the carryout and explain to the guy that "I am a Camaro guy". Instead I just drove off thinking about the funny situation.

Bill

PS:
Other impressions
  1. Good visibilty
  2. Less road noise (maybe because it did not have run flats)
  3. Lack of power, even for a V6
  4. OK ride - nothing special
  5. The car wandered and did not want to steer straight
  6. Terrible high beams
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)

Last edited by wrankin; 11-10-2018 at 08:22 PM.
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Well ...coming from an SS Camaro stepping into a 6 banger Challenger will be a big step back...should have rented an SRT Challenger.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Well ...coming from an SS Camaro stepping into a 6 banger Challenger will be a big step back...should have rented an SRT Challenger.
Slower than an SS and handles like a brick with wheels.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
GelflingEssence
Banned

Drives: 2016 Challenger SRT 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
^^^^^Hemi envy
GelflingEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
wrankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
I did rent an SRT Charger last year - It was a nice grocery getter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Amen!

Bill
Old 11-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
one of my friends had a 2016 challenger.it was a good looking car until it caught fire and burned the front clip to the ground just outside of his driveway.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Damn....it was between a Challenger V6 and a ZL1 for me.....now I'm leaning toward the ZL1.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #8
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
The Challanger was on the list of cars that I looked at while in the market for my next muscle car. Comparing that base rental model V6 Challanger to anything that you would have normally looked at was clearly an unfair comparison. Putting aside the engine the numerous chassis and package upgrades that come along with any model that would be in the same class as your car would have made a world of difference in your experience, but I think you're very aware of that.

From a pure utilitarian, drive it for work while having fun the Challanger with any of the performance packages actually makes more sense. More room in the trunk, a somewhat usable back seat and better visibility all make a strong case. If my wife wasn't so strongly opposed to the Challanger (and the fact that Chrysler just has crap quality) the decision would have been much harder for me to go with the Camaro.

I guess the last benefit would have been that the Challanger does't have the A8 shudder issues either.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Kind of a meaningless post since a V6 Camaro or V6 Mustang would be no more fun than a V6 Challenger. If it was a Hellcat, then it would be an interesting read.
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
I looked at Challengers too. Ended up in the 1LE for obvious reasons but the Scat Pack Challenger T/A in Go Mango with a six speed was an awesome looking car... would have been nice to have more room in the car being a DD for me.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Rented a Challenger and they gave me the R/T twice in the past few months. Given it was a V8 5.7 it had plenty of balls. I am actually looking into the 1320 Challenger when it comes around next year as my Camaro will be going back in 3 months. Had some issues with my 16' Camaro, shudder, rear diff, cooling fan ect. but every car seems to have something that comes up i have had. I will miss the Camaro but need more room in the back for my daughter. Bash the Challenger or not, there doing something right to keep the body style flowing. Besides that the are prices looking good for what they will offer for the 19's.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #12
wrankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Damn....it was between a Challenger V6 and a ZL1 for me.....now I'm leaning toward the ZL1.
Haha. I guess the point was that the Challenger was not fun to drive. I would have to assume the V6 Camaro is very fun to drive.

Bill
Old 11-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #13
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
I rented a V6 Challenger some weeks ago. "Splurged" for it rather than go my usual econobox rental. Had it for 5 days. had not much more than 2K miles on it.

While I have an 1SS now, I'll compare it to the low-option 1LT 2016 V6 AT Camaro I had previous.

Felt much bigger than the Camaro, but not barge-like. Feels of a piece. ( in a good way )

Handling of the Camaro is better. Categorically. You can tell this even when not coming near to pushing the limits. The Challenger, while not ponderous, is definitely more of a cruiser car, and a pleasant one at that.

My old V6 car will run rings around the Challenger. No comparison. The power and torque to weight ratio advantages in the Camaro are most apparent. While the high-strung LG4 V6 is on the peaky side, at least the power band was more flexible and usable compared to the Dodge. To motivate the Challenger seemed to require a "drive like you stole it" method. It feels dead from idle to WOT. WOT feels reasonably brisk, though my SOTP feel didn't indicate it was a high 14 second car. The thing was REALLY good on gas though. Very surprising given it's heft.

Nice interior overall. Gauges look cool. Best part of the car. I liked it. Styling between them ( interior-wise ) is objective, so I'll leave it at that.

Looks good from the front, and rear. 3/4 views pretty cool too. A bit to slab-sided looking from the side.

Overall it was a nice car to have for 5 days. I can see why they're so popular/common.
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
My wife has a 2017 Charger V6 and 8 speed tranny. I daily drive a 2013 Charger Super Bee with 392 HEMI. The V6 is a fine daily for her, but the experience driving the 2 cars is night and day different. From the handling to the brakes to the obvious power difference.
Except you have the old 5spd auto. I've driven your exact car. It's still pretty bad ass even with the old transmission.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote