#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #29
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
You have to admit the clientele of the Civic Type R is the Fast And Furious crowd. The Brian Spilners of the world. Modify and drive any car in the world like that and you’re asking for trouble. I’m certain the CTR is much more reliable from the factory and driven with some reasonable common sense than you make it out to be.
The Civic Type R isn't cheap which weeds out a lot of the typical 'fast and furious' crowd. They are selling above MSRP used. Paying more than 40k out the door isn't out of the question.

I'm just showing you what's on the forums. Argue with the owners, not me. I seriously doubt they are all abusing their cars though. And don't know how abuse could cause a flywheel to break when starting the car.
Quote:
GM has a website for their problems. So does Hyundai/Kia, Ford, FCA, BMW, VW/AG, M-B, Toyota/Lexus, and every other mfg on the planet. That’s nothing earth shattering.
Thanks for making my point. They all can have issues. I never put GM on a pedestal. It's just I don't see Honda as superior, sorry.

Quote:
You sound like a scorned Civic owner who blew up your engine under warranty downshifting into 2nd at 100 mph and wants Honda to pay for it
I'm not a fan of high-revving weed eater engines, so no, not a Honda owner and don't buy into the hype.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #30
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Who said Hondas don't have TSB's? Or problems in general? If they didn't have problems and issues I wouldn't have a job.

I'm not an advisor, not in denial, and not blaming the owners. The post was in regards to one brand being reliable in comparison to others. I was giving first hand experience working at many different dealers and owning 57 cars on which brand I believe is more reliable and built better.
Well I believe Honda isn't as reliable and I've never owned one or worked at a dealer. I simply read what others are going through.

I'm glad that you at least acknowledged they have issues like any other car.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #31
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
The Civic Type R isn't cheap which weeds out a lot of the typical 'fast and furious' crowd. They are selling above MSRP used. Paying more than 40k out the door isn't out of the question.

I'm just showing you what's on the forums. Argue with the owners, not me. I seriously doubt they are all abusing their cars though. And don't know how abuse could cause a flywheel to break when starting the car.

Thanks for making my point. They all can have issues. I never put GM on a pedestal. It's just I don't see Honda as superior, sorry.

I'm not a fan of high-revving weed eater engines, so no, not a Honda owner and don't buy into the hype.
For someone who’s not a fan you sure seem interested in their owners. And the CTR is for the F&F crowd who was 20 ricing out their ‘98 Civics when that movie came out, so you better believe they can afford one now.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #32
torqueaddict

Quote:
For someone who’s not a fan you sure seem interested in their owners. And the CTR is for the F&F crowd who was 20 ricing out their ‘98 Civics when that movie came out, so you better believe they can afford one now.
Before picking up the Camaro I researched as much as possible. Even ones that never made the list. I enjoy reading about other cars good or bad.

The people in the civicx CTR forums seem pretty mature compared to usual Civic forums. Besides, the car is sold as a performance hot hatch, how should they drive it? Like miss Daisy?I drove the crap out of my MS3 for 160k miles and the tranny and engine held up. I didn't abuse it, but drove it how it was portrayed.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #33
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:

I'm just showing you what's on the forums. Argue with the owners, not me. I seriously doubt they are all abusing their cars though.

We sold all of ours except for the 2nd one we got which was a white one for sticker. My friend wanted another white one and drove to NC and got one also for sticker price also. $30k isn't cheap but it's not expensive for a new car at all.

This is where you are going off of "what you read" and thinking it's fact. Your whole basis of information is second hand info from posts someone made on a message forum. That's an ignorant way to base facts off of. If you looked up actual reviews like from consumer reports or those done to see cars with over 200k miles still on the road, Toyota and Honda are literally almost the only ones on the list.

Quote:
And don't know how abuse could cause a flywheel to break when starting the car.

That shows you know zero about cars. Customer rides the clutch or goes around slipping it over and over again overheating it and causing it to crack. Once it cools and becomes brittle and the first time the starter hits the outer ring, it will pull the flywheel apart. I've seen it on cars with worn clutches and on those who ABUSE the clutch or simply cant drive it.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #34
torqueaddict

Quote:
We sold all of ours except for the 2nd one we got which was a white one for sticker. My friend wanted another white one and drove to NC and got one also for sticker price also. $30k isn't cheap but it's not expensive for a new car at all.

This is where you are going off of "what you read" and thinking it's fact. Your whole basis of information is second hand info from posts someone made on a message forum. That's an ignorant way to base facts off of. If you looked up actual reviews like from consumer reports or those done to see cars with over 200k miles still on the road, Toyota and Honda are literally almost the only ones on the list.
30K? Who's picking up these cars under MSRP? They start at around 35k and please check the used prices. Without forums we wouldn't know about the issues with the Camaros. I wouldn't have known about the potential motor mount problem with my MS3. I replaced those with beefier ones BEFORE it happened. So many issues are averted by reading other people's problems. Forums have a wealth of good info.

It's easy to pick nonsense from fact on forums. And there are quite a few Chevys and Fords with over 200k miles still running. Why are you here anyway? Just curious.

Quote:
That shows you know zero about cars. Customer rides the clutch or goes around slipping it over and over again overheating it and causing it to crack. Once it cools and becomes brittle and the first time the starter hits the outer ring, it will pull the flywheel apart. I've seen it on cars with worn clutches and on those who ABUSE the clutch or simply cant drive it.
The starter rings are pressed on poorly (instead of welded) and were coming off the flywheel:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/start...jection.16774/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Honda/comme..._civic_type_r/

https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...-gear-problems

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...reely-2220101/

It's a known weak point in these cars going back a ways apparently. Will happen to everyone? No, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a poor design.

When last have you heard of this happening on a new car? Yes, abuse can cause all sorts of problems, but something like this will tend to happen on an older car.

Please read before spouting off. You're sounding like the 'shoot first and then ask questions' type of mechanic.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #35
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARBIE 1 View Post
You'll never catch my ass in one of those death traps. Hideous.
When I'm 85 years old, I'll be able to get in a car and go wherever I want, that's pretty neat.

Until I'm that old, I want to drive, but anyone who drives has to admit that people are absolutely dying to have autonomous cars. Not by their voice, but by their actions. I commute on my bicycle and I can't count the number of people of ALL AGES that are playing with phones while driving, not just stopped. This is what people want to do and they are killing people while doing it. Unless you want to pass legislation that locks the phones down from the manufacturers (can't be used while in a car), there's nothing that will stop this march towards autonomous cars, it's coming and most people would rather be doing something else than driving. Chances are many of those people are on this site even, if you spend most of your time driving back and forth or city instead of "fun" driving in the back-country.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #36
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
The starter rings are pressed on poorly (instead of welded) and were coming off the flywheel:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/start...jection.16774/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Honda/comme..._civic_type_r/

https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...-gear-problems

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...reely-2220101/

It's a known weak point in these cars going back a ways apparently. Will happen to everyone? No, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a poor design.
You're a complete idiot. You posted links to completely different cars having completely separate problems unrelated at all. You posted one with just a bad starter on a 30yo B16 motor without a starter ring. It's not even a dual mass flywheel

You'll argue with brick wall, I'm done talking to you. I don't deal with morons.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #37
fastball
Banned

It's pretty easy to tell who here is logical and knows what they are talking about and who here isn't and doesn't...... I think I'll just sit here and
Old 10-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #38
torqueaddict

Quote:
You're a complete idiot. You posted links to completely different cars having completely separate problems unrelated at all. You posted one with just a bad starter on a 30yo B16 motor without a starter ring. It's not even a dual mass flywheel

You'll argue with brick wall, I'm done talking to you. I don't deal with morons.
First 3 are type Rs related to the same issue (ring gear separation). The first two are new, the third is an older to illustrate my point that it's been happening a long time. The last is a different car, but still a Honda. You obviously don't read and comprehend. Or refuse to read, which is even worse

When you start with the name calling I realized you had nothing to add. Guys like you don't last in my line of work. No research, just blabber. Attitudes and approaches like yours are the reason why dealers can't fix issues the first time. No background research, just guesses even when the issue is staring you in the face. If it's not scripted or written in a manual, you are lost. All the while through this back and forth your are blaming the owners but claiming not to. I have nothing more to say, it's obvious you have Honda fanboy blinders on.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #39
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
It's pretty easy to tell who here is logical and knows what they are talking about and who here isn't and doesn't...... I think I'll just sit here and
It's easy to see who the closet Honda lovers are too that are mad they couldn't get a type R
Old 10-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #40
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Well I believe Honda isn't as reliable and I've never owned one or worked at a dealer. I simply read what others are going through.
Simply reading and then coming to the conclusion that Hondas are unreliable is crazy!

I've owned 65 cars, the most reliable ones were Hondas (Seven). I had one Civic go over 500000 miles with just Oil Changes, bet it's still going unless a kid FnF'd it. I DD a Acura RSX which is rock solid.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #41
fastball
Banned

Quote:
It's easy to see who the closet Honda lovers are too that are mad they couldn't get a type R
I just think they're ucking fugly. Phenomenal drivetrain/handling and a really svelte interior, but gawd that exterior styling looks like a deformed VW Beetle. With a F&F 10 foot spoiler and TWO coffee can farting exhaust tips, in the middle of the bumper, surrounding a single smaller tip. WTF is that???

And what's up with the nice Brembos up front but what appear to be standard stock Civic rear brakes????? They couldn't do Brembos all around?

Put that drivetrain into an Acura TLX (complete with the manual transmission) and take my money.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #42
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
I just think they're ucking fugly. Phenomenal drivetrain/handling and a really svelte interior, but gawd that exterior styling looks like a deformed VW Beetle. With a F&F 10 foot spoiler and TWO coffee can farting exhaust tips, in the middle of the bumper, surrounding a single smaller tip. WTF is that???

Put that drivetrain into an Acura TLX (complete with the manual transmission) and take my money.
I agree, the Type R used to be bare bones performance. Now it's a bunch of wings and fake grills and add ons. The new TLX redesign is a clean looking car. My sons 2016 Civic coupe is very clean also, just the hatch is too chunky.