#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-30-2022, 10:51 AM   #323
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
In my 2017 I tried different tires with no help at all. Mine consistently went side to side under hard throttle and got worse with MT DRs. So bad under a full launch I could barely keep it in my lane. Tires are not the issue but may very well be alignment. After I had it aligned and bushings replaced it stopped but I also didn't keep the car very long after that to really test.
I think tires are a contributing factor just like many other things. The BMR rear cradle lockout also helps tremendously on the standard ZL1.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:01 AM   #324
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Its the ELSD doing its magic to keep you straight and with traction. Why is this a 24 page thread??? LOL
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #325
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Its the ELSD doing its magic to keep you straight and with traction. Why is this a 24 page thread??? LOL
I sometimes feel the rear wag back and forth a bit under hard acceleration but I figured it was normal and does feel like the e-diff is controlling it. I also notice the e-diff control a lot more on hard turns vs. standard LSD under acceleration and you can relax it a bit in the different track modes.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:12 PM   #326
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
What??? This thread exists because the ELSD is NOT doing its magic, and cars are wiggling in the back under hard acceleration.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:16 PM   #327
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
What??? This thread exists because the ELSD is NOT doing its magic, and cars are wiggling in the back under hard acceleration.
Exactly.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:20 PM   #328
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Quote:
The "wiggle" is coming from the soft rubber bushings on the diff cradle.

The fix is either:
1. dropping the cradle and replacing the soft rubber bushings with the stock zl1 1le solid aluminum bushings

2. purchase the BMR rear cradle lock out kit. the kit does not require you to completely dropping the cradle..
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #329
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowser View Post
The "wiggle" is coming from the soft rubber bushings on the diff cradle.

The fix is either:
1. dropping the cradle and replacing the soft rubber bushings with the stock zl1 1le solid aluminum bushings

2. purchase the BMR rear cradle lock out kit. the kit does not require you to completely dropping the cradle..
Does the wiggle only happen while the e-diff is making its corrections? I only notice it once in a while but it is very slight and slow wag during the pull but does't feel like I am going to lose control or anything.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:22 PM   #330
Krowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Does the wiggle only happen while the e-diff is making its corrections? I only notice it once in a while but it is very slight and slow wag during the pull but does't feel like I am going to lose control or anything.
Im not a suspension engineer, so this is my opinion.

When you accelerate, all of the weight is transferred to the rear of the vehicle.
The diff is attempting to disperse torque evenly between the axles.
The tires and rotating mass is consistent, what's not consistent is the road interacting with the tires and the flexing of the soft rubber bushings in the cradle.

By eliminating a large amount of flex, the diff is more stabilized to transfer torque more evenly, therefore putting more power to the ground. This results in more stabilization of the suspension while moving and steering.

The downside is harder cradle bushings may result in more NVH.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:58 PM   #331
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
NO absolutely not. There is no physical movement of the rear cradle. Someone put a gopro on the underside and SHOW US the actual movement. This is a normal condition of the elsd/stability control.

You can eliminate this by using the PTM modes like sport 1,2 and race. You will see the "wagging" goes away as the car lets the rear do what it wants traction wise. The car will do all sorts of weird things like lock the outer front tire to stop fish tailing. You can see it in the motorweek videos of the ZL1 release when they are trying to drift it. The car does not want to do that, and uses many systems to keep traction. You people are INSANE!.....AHAHAHa

Starting at 3:27 you can see the car locking the front outer wheel to stop a drift as I said. THis is normal as is the rear wagging as the car grabs individual rear brakes to keep you going forward with no spin.

SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:37 PM   #332
Z OH 6

Quote:
NO absolutely not. There is no physical movement of the rear cradle. Someone put a gopro on the underside and SHOW US the actual movement. This is a normal condition of the elsd/stability control.

You can eliminate this by using the PTM modes like sport 1,2 and race. You will see the "wagging" goes away as the car lets the rear do what it wants traction wise. The car will do all sorts of weird things like lock the outer front tire to stop fish tailing. You can see it in the motorweek videos of the ZL1 release when they are trying to drift it. The car does not want to do that, and uses many systems to keep traction. You people are INSANE!.....AHAHAHa

Starting at 3:27 you can see the car locking the front outer wheel to stop a drift as I said. THis is normal as is the rear wagging as the car grabs individual rear brakes to keep you going forward with no spin.

The rear cradle absolutely moves under stress. There's a reason why the 1LE comes with solid bushings and why the BMR cradle lockout kit solves this issue for most people.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #333
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
With all that said an alignment fixed mine today for 129.00 including tax. There are several people here that have had the problem resolved with a alignment. Hard to ignore the facts.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:17 PM   #334
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
With all that said an alignment fixed mine today for 129.00 including tax. There are several people here that have had the problem resolved with a alignment. Hard to ignore the facts.
Same with the rear cradle lockout kit and some with just a tire swap, so we're back to square one.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:43 PM   #335
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Exactly.
Bingo! Also, FWIW this happens to us peasants with SS cars too (no eLSD on non-1LE models).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Same with the rear cradle lockout kit and some with just a tire swap, so we're back to square one.
Yep. It doesn’t seem to be one clear cut answer for every situation.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:49 PM   #336
Krowser

Quote:

I think you need to do a little more research.

There is a reason why the zl1 1le has solid rear bushing in the diff cradle.

If what you say here is true, GM would have the same bushings in the zl1 and zl1 1le.