Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
loljunk_

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Oil Change vs. Salt

I am in a bit of a pickle. I live in Michigan and am going to store the 1LE soon. This week I went to get my oil changed on my day off and got turned away from the dealership because a mechanic quit and they cut off oil changes at 10am. Now I have to get the oil changed next week which isn't a big deal, but we just got our first snowfall today (2-3in).

The snow isn't an issue since it will melt this weekend, but I'm worried about how damaging salt and chloride is that they spray on the roads if I were to get an oil change and come home, do a quick wash and store the car for winter. So my question is, what's worse? Leave oil life at 30% and store the car, or run through salt n chloride for the oil change and do my best to clean the underbody (probably won't be a solid job) and store the car for winter? Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can drive the stock 1LE eagle f1 tires above freezing right (34ish degrees)?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
Snrub

Drives: Gone: 2017 Camaro SS
Technically your tires shouldn't be exposed to these temperatures, regardless whether they're stored or driven.

Playing devil's advocate, why would it hurt the car to sit with oil in it? GM has done away with the time limits related to oil changes, so they don't seem to think it's an issue. The oil, PVC, etc. are a sealed system.

Regarding the salt, if you're going to spray it clean, it should be more or less fine, but it depends on how pristine you want to keep your car. I drove to work while it was snowing today and will be all winter, granted it will be getting an oil spray shortly.
Snrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Agree with snrub.
No issue storing the car with oil life at a whopping 30%.
The summer tires should not be exposed to those cold temps. And snow on the road does a much better job of cooling the tires than air.
I would park it and call it a year.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
lgarrison34

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE HBM, 2010 SS FBO/Cam
Why not change the oil yourself?
lgarrison34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Given the options, leave the oil until spring. However I did get a chuckle from the irony of your concern with regard to your signature.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Option 1: Do it yourself.
Option 2: Wait till spring.
Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub View Post
GM has done away with the time limits related to oil changes, so they don't seem to think it's an issue.
not entirely true. if you change your oil calculation to 100% and let the car sit for a year, it will go down to 0%. it uses time in it's calculation, among other things.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Technically your tires shouldn't be exposed to these temperatures, regardless whether they're stored or driven.
Just to clarify, the specific recommendations for these tires are:
  • Below 40°F - Drive with caution as traction will be severely reduced.
  • Below 20°F - Don't drive on or move the tires. They are fine to sit at that temperature, but they are subject to cracking if you drive on them or even bounce them taking them off the car.
Simply being exposed to cold temperatures won't hurt them, it's how they're treated in these temps that can cause damage. I believe I've seen at least a few people on the forums store their cars on the SC3 tires in non-heated garages over the winter without issue.

As for the oil, I'd agree that it should be fine to sit for a few months without being changed. Worst case if you don't have the means to change it yourself and really want to get it done, I'm sure we'll get another rain and then a dry day without salt within the next few weeks haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
However I did get a chuckle from the irony of your concern with regard to your signature.
Heh, good catch
Old 11-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Oil sitting in your engine at 30% for 5 or 6 months will do far less damage then getting the underside of the car coated with road salt. If you want to prevent corrosion from starting, keep the car as salt free as possible, it's the salt, not water that's the problem. But maybe I'm the wrong person to offer an opionion, I've never driven mine in the rain or on wet roads.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
If I were to store it, I would leave it be and wait it out till spring. If you’re not going to drive it all winter.
If you’re OCD is bothering you about it and you have to drive it, just wash it you’ll be fine. It’s not made of paper. The tires tho.....different story.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
At what point in time does the oil life sensor start working - at the factory or when the car is delivered to the first customer? My car was built in January, so if the sensor was set at the factory, it should hit zero in January, which is 2 months before it will come out of storage and when I would normally change the oil. GM is clear about the oil being changed at least once a year regardless of mileage, and I don't want to have any warranty hassles later, so do I change it now or let it sit at zero life for a couple of months and change it next March?
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #12
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:

I know the tires are "summer" but I was not aware they were so temperature sensitive. What's the lower temperature limit for these tires?

Sorry, I just saw this in the post above. Thanks.

Quote:
Just to clarify, the specific recommendations for these tires are:
Below 40°F - Drive with caution as traction will be severely reduced.
Below 20°F - Don't drive on or move the tires. They are fine to sit at that temperature, but they are subject to cracking if you drive on them or even bounce them taking them off the car.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #13
Saybo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
The old wives' tale says you should change it before you store it because the acids in used oil will eat away your engine block. However, with modern oil, the TBA will neutralize any byproducts left over from combustion as long as it's not at its end of life cycle.
Saybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #14
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by loljunk_ View Post
I am in a bit of a pickle. I live in Michigan and am going to store the 1LE soon. This week I went to get my oil changed on my day off and got turned away from the dealership because a mechanic quit and they cut off oil changes at 10am. Now I have to get the oil changed next week which isn't a big deal, but we just got our first snowfall today (2-3in).

The snow isn't an issue since it will melt this weekend, but I'm worried about how damaging salt and chloride is that they spray on the roads if I were to get an oil change and come home, do a quick wash and store the car for winter. So my question is, what's worse? Leave oil life at 30% and store the car, or run through salt n chloride for the oil change and do my best to clean the underbody (probably won't be a solid job) and store the car for winter? Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can drive the stock 1LE eagle f1 tires above freezing right (34ish degrees)?

Is your car a show car?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote