Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #29
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
This might be a side conversation but those of you who have thrown out the run-flats for all season tires, what is your plan if you are several hundred miles from home on a trip and you have a blow out that is not pluggable? I don't for the life of me know why manufacturers seem to think they don't need a spare tire with run-flats. I hit a pothole in my 335i years ago, which had runflats, and it put a gash in the sidewall so the runflats were of zero use. Luckily I had bought myself a spare tire kit from a 5-series so I made it home. Nobody carries tires in the sizes our cars use so you will be stuck for 2-3 days waiting on a tire if you aren't close to home when something like that happens.
Get the fix-o-flat kit that comes standard in the 4 and 6 cylinder Camaros without the RS package.

If you have a sidewall tear I guess that would be a problem, I don't know if fix-o-flat would seal it.

No Camaro comes with a spare. Few new cars do anymore. Run flats or a can of fix-o-flat are standard on pretty much every new car. Spares add weight which reduces fuel economy and every mfg is trying to squeeze every millemeter of distance out of every miiliter of fuel they can.

Theres really no place in the trunk well for a spare even if you wanted one. The trunk well has the stereo amp and other electronics in there. You'd have to keep the spare in the trunk and take up most the trunk area.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #30
Dallace

Drives: Fifty
I 've not had a problem with running summer tires in winter. I just take it easy until they warm up. I'm not saying I'm some mr know it all driver but I've had summer tires on my g8 gt and my 2017 Camaro 2ss with no issues. I get Sumitomo htr z 3 and they have been really good tires.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:45 PM   #31
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
AAA or other roadside assistance companies are the best option. Your story is exactly why RFTs are not worth it to begin with IMO.
Agreed AAA or roadside assistance would keep you safe but you're still potentially stuck in a hotel for a day or two waiting for a tire to be delivered to whatever repair shop you can find close by. I'd rather be able to continue on my way and have the tire shipped wherever I'm going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Get the fix-o-flat kit that comes standard in the 4 and 6 cylinder Camaros without the RS package.

If you have a sidewall tear I guess that would be a problem, I don't know if fix-o-flat would seal it.

No Camaro comes with a spare. Few new cars do anymore. Run flats or a can of fix-o-flat are standard on pretty much every new car. Spares add weight which reduces fuel economy and every mfg is trying to squeeze every millemeter of distance out of every miiliter of fuel they can.

Theres really no place in the trunk well for a spare even if you wanted one. The trunk well has the stereo amp and other electronics in there. You'd have to keep the spare in the trunk and take up most the trunk area.
That's an idea for sure but if you get something that can't be plugged/patched you're still waiting on a tow truck and waiting for a new tire. If I never took the car on road trips I wouldn't worry about it as much. The size of a spare in the trunk will be an issue for me since I own a vert. Not 100% sure I could lay a spare flat under the top mechanism when its down. This might just be one I can't engineer a fix for I guess...
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #32
Metal2SS

Drives: Silver Ice 2017 Camaro SS
It had rained for 2 days out here in socal and somebody in a gen 5 lost control and hit a tree head on. they didnt make it

Metal2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:09 PM   #33
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
This is why I downsized to 18" Blizzaks for winter.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #34
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I live in Cape May County NJ. My all-season General AS-05's have given me no issues in single digit temps and I have driven them in light snow. I think snow tires for a Camaro in jersey would be overkill. If the snow is deep, you are going to need another vehicle or risk wrecking your spoiler.
I've had those Generals on another car I've owned, they're probably the second best 'all-season' tire you can buy for winter driving, after the Continentals. Cape May County btw isn't NJ, you guys get the same climate as Washington DC. It's the rest of us north of AC Expressway that are screwed.

Quote:
This might be a side conversation but those of you who have thrown out the run-flats for all season tires, what is your plan if you are several hundred miles from home on a trip and you have a blow out that is not pluggable? I don't for the life of me know why manufacturers seem to think they don't need a spare tire with run-flats. I hit a pothole in my 335i years ago, which had runflats, and it put a gash in the sidewall so the runflats were of zero use. Luckily I had bought myself a spare tire kit from a 5-series so I made it home. Nobody carries tires in the sizes our cars use so you will be stuck for 2-3 days waiting on a tire if you aren't close to home when something like that happens.
Is there even room in the trunk for a spare? It certainly doesn't seem so.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #35
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Thanks for sharing, refreshing to see someone admit they made a mistake.

Back in 2006 I drove a hand-me-down (Family's car) 1994 Honda Accord that I failed to realize had summer tires on it...spun out 3 times on packed snow one night (11pm) coming home from work in Downtown Denver, this was at very low speeds 30MPH. Was a fun ride home!

Glad nobody was hurt and all that jazz
Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #36
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallace View Post
I 've not had a problem with running summer tires in winter. I just take it easy until they warm up. I'm not saying I'm some mr know it all driver but I've had summer tires on my g8 gt and my 2017 Camaro 2ss with no issues. I get Sumitomo htr z 3 and they have been really good tires.
But...you are in Georgia(??), not that I know a lot about the weather in Georgia, but perhaps winters there are a bit more mild than in some other places, IDK, like Chicago, or Boston or vast swaths of the US north of 35° latitude?

I'd love to live in a milder climate, and Denver really isn't that bad compared to others, but unless I have all-seasons, the 1LE isn't coming out of the garage unless it's 55° or hotter out.

Last edited by DenverTaco07; 01-10-2018 at 10:24 PM.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #37
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallace View Post
At the temps we've been having up north tires do NOT warm up.

At 0 deg f tires dont get warm because the road surface is just as cold.

You folks don't have winter. You're having an average fall for us lol
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #38
PhantomV8

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I run the Eagle F1 ultra high performance summer tires year round and have never had any issues. Just switch the car to snow/ice mode when it's cold.
Attached Images

PhantomV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #39
dray

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 NGM, 2012 Yamaha FZ8
Got my car in Jan 17 and bought winter tires the next week (Michelin X-ICE on 18 inch wheels). One of the nice thing about a set of winter tires is that your summer tires last a lot longer, because you're saving all that mileage. The summer tires are a lot more expensive to replace too.
dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #40
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomV8 View Post
I run the Eagle F1 ultra high performance summer tires year round and have never had any issues. Just switch the car to snow/ice mode when it's cold.
I posted this message especially for people who taking a chance like I was and relying on the "Snow/Ice" mode. You might be fine now but you are taking a huge risk at 8 degrees.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #41
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Run flats offer you protection from the small kinds of punctures that you could seal up with sealant. If you actually use the run-flat as designed, it destroys the side-wall in the process and now you get to buy at least 2 new run-flat tires when you get it to a shop, rather than patching one. Modern radial tires are very strong and often a screw or nail will seal up partially due to the gummy-inside of the tire, so it usually doesn't take much more to hold the air with that condition. Run flats will do nothing for a massive blowout, which is extremely rare if you are keeping your tires in good working order and not wearing them down to the belts. So in short, it's mostly a way to increase revenue for tire and auto-makers. There is some validity if you take long trips through deserted areas, like a lot of cross-country stuff, but the run-flat is only going to get you to a shop and whether it does anything more than sealant is questionable in my experience with flats. Theoretically, maybe, but in practice, no.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #42
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
I've had those Generals on another car I've owned, they're probably the second best 'all-season' tire you can buy for winter driving, after the Continentals. Cape May County btw isn't NJ, you guys get the same climate as Washington DC. It's the rest of us north of AC Expressway that are screwed.

Is there even room in the trunk for a spare? It certainly doesn't seem so.
I had a large bolt in my tire which by the time I noticed was at 2psi, had to get a new tire so I replaced both fronts and kept the one with 40% tread left and it fit in my trunk just fine.
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote