Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-22-2024, 12:30 PM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Kill switch wiring question (pic)

I picked up what I needed to wire in a hidden kill-switch, and I THINK I know where I'm wiring it to, but I wanted to ask to see if someone has a better idea.

I'm thinking that in the engine bay fuse box, the starter relay and starter fuse are located there and the fuse would be the easiest (LEAST likely to mess up!!) place to wire the switch.

I want to pull the fuse and use two wires in the box, then move the fuse to a different location. Then run two wires into the passenger compartment and connect them to a hidden switch.

I bought 30 amp fuses and a 30 amp switch (since the factory fuse is 30A), along with a marine fuse holder (since the fuse will be more or less exposed).

Below is a picture of the engine compartment fuse box, with the relay ("X") and fuse ("ARROW") marked.

Comments or suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2024, 03:27 PM   #2
Dirtbike

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Not sure I like the idea of the 12v fuse wires passing through the firewall, too many rub points to cause issues later on. I would grab the latch ground from the starter relay, break it with your hidden cabin switch. Dont see the need to hide the fuse at that point either.
Dirtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 03:49 PM   #3
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Please don't post up too much info on the kill switch stuff. The thieves are on the internet too.......trolling for cars. Regardless of how you hook it up, the hidden switch won't be too hard to find if we talk about it on here.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:31 PM   #4
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Please don't post up too much info on the kill switch stuff. The thieves are on the internet too.......trolling for cars. Regardless of how you hook it up, the hidden switch won't be too hard to find if we talk about it on here.
This. 100%.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:12 PM   #5
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Agreed! 1000%!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:53 AM   #6
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbike View Post
Not sure I like the idea of the 12v fuse wires passing through the firewall, too many rub points to cause issues later on. I would grab the latch ground from the starter relay, break it with your hidden cabin switch. Dont see the need to hide the fuse at that point either.
I agree that you don't want to switch the actual 30A starter feed. That is large gauge wire that is actually a higher risk for issues.

I agree that the starter relay ground is a much better approach, smaller wires. I posted about this in another thread

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 09:58 AM   #7
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
This. 100%.
I disagree. I want thieves to see that we are taking matters into our own hands and we are discussing dozens of options to thwart theft. What we are doing is slowing the process down. We are introducing variables. Any car can be stolen. We are making it harder. We are taking away the "Easy Button".

Install four toggle switches: make some of them dummy switches, or require a combination (like a code) using N.O. and N.C. contacts.

Use multiple methods: Make thieves look for multiple solutions.

Once our community adopts one of the dozen solutions we're discussing, the thefts will drop off and they will move to easier targets.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 11:26 AM   #8
DonM
Camaro #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
I agree that you don't want to switch the actual 30A starter feed. That is large gauge wire that is actually a higher risk for issues.

I agree that the starter relay ground is a much better approach, smaller wires. I posted about this in another thread

I have a manual transmission, will that alter where I make the cut for the switch? P.S., I'm planning on a 2-stage kill switch, where two separate actions need to be taken to star the car.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:58 AM   #9
DonM
Camaro #4

I looked at your suggestions again, and I was thinking of splicing into the Violet/Gray wire that activates the starter relay in the (under hood) fuse box (where I put the red dot).

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2024, 02:30 PM   #10
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I looked at your suggestions again, and I was thinking of splicing into the Violet/Gray wire that activates the starter relay in the (under hood) fuse box (where I put the red dot).

Thoughts?

Pin 15 on the black BCM plug under the driver's dash. See my DIY thread for more info. Still getting around to a schematic.
Capricio is online now   Reply With Quote