Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #15
twoballscrewball

Drives: 89 Iroc Convertible, 2017 2SS Fifty
This one rocks, but just modernize the front end a bit. Rest of it is on point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
OP, I completely agree with you. The 2nd generation had a timeless look that still appears modern today. A new take on the 2nd-gen, if done right, would be absolutely spectacular. The problem is, everyone is so focused on car fascias looking "mean" and "pissed off" that the innocent elegance of the older models gets forgotten. There are only so many combinations of shapes you can use to design a car. At a certain point everything old becomes new again. I see no reason why we shouldn't resurrect this one.

I see people suggesting that the new Camaro should look like that Buick Avista concept. Which makes me want to vomit, personally.

This would be awesome:
twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #16
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
My little opinion, the 2016-2018 are a perfect modern blend on 1st gen curves and the future styling. Angualr, but still that muscular classic late 60s early 70s C pillar. Lights rock.

2019, they messed up the front end and it lost a ton of it's edge, looks like a sedan now. Step backwards. No offense to anyone that likes it, but my opinion.

Gen 7 lower the belt line, fix the front end, shape gets refined, 500HP hybrid V8 with a mode toggle Lightweight removable, or retractable, hard top.
Couldn't agree more The pre-refresh 6th gen is the best looking Camaro so far IMO, closely followed by the refreshed 5th gen.

Apart from fixing the hideous front and improving on the bulbous, cartoonish taillights, I'd lower the beltline by 1" and increase the height by 1" just to end all visibility complaints once and for good. 500+/700+ HP V8, some tech updates (360° camera, full digital hi-res gauge cluster, futureproof wireless, adaptive cruise control), better AFM, slightly louder exhaust, a wee bit more storage space and larger trunk opening... none of these are rocket science, all available or coming very soon in one or more GM vehicles already.

Pretty sure it won't happen, but one can dream, eh?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:39 PM   #17
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Apparently everyone wants to go for the modern and futuristic ... but have not stopped to think that this is one of the reasons why American sports cars with the exception of the Challenger are falling? Remember that these are Ponycars which is a type of Musclecar, not a pure one, but it is one, and a good example that has triumphed has been the 2010-2015 Camaro and the Challenger of the 2015-Present. Both go for the retro style, and sold (And sell in the Challenger case) Pretty good, I even dare to think that if the 2010-2015 Camaro had the same power and same weight had been a mere beast and even Today I would continue selling as never before and comparison to the sixth generation.

We all know that the retro community is much bigger than the futuristic community, if you do not believe it ask the people of CAMARO5.COM and notice the comparison in sales between the 5th Gen and the 6th Gen. The new Refresh is going to retro, but the SS has elements so modern that you can see the polarity between retro and modern, I like it, but many people can not see it.

Look at something, the reason why I think going futuristic is not a very good idea is that the more they do it, the more generic it looks, and the more generic it looks the less attractive it looks, it does not stand out from the others, the only reason why the Camaro stands out it's because these elements, whether they like it or not, are retro, and I showed it in another post, and not only applies to the refresh, it applies to any model before the next .... The Camaro of the fourth generation was very futuristic ... and look what happened.

For Mi Para Mi, the perfect formula for the Camaro is to be retro and classic, but to drive, run and have an interior like a Ferrari ... that last was figuratively.
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #18
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
^^^
Yes, exactly. The 4th gen camaro was a big "futuristic" leap and now we look back on it and it looks extremely dated.

They need to make it look classic. Classic means, form following function not the other way around. The most classic cars all look extremely clean and simple. No swooshy character lines, no bizarre looking front fascia pieces. Just clean and simple.

I don't care if they start from scratch and use no retro cues. But it should be a classic design. And I think they can lighten up on the "pissed off" look. That is so over-done. My neighbors ford escape looks pissed off. Every car now looks pissed off and I think it has a negative effect on our society as a whole. Why do I want to look around and see a bunch of nasty looking cars? Imagine if every person walked around with a scowl on their face all the time. How sad.

I'd love to see the Camaro team go out on a limb and do something unexpected.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #19
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
I don't think that the retro "community" is bigger. I think that's limiting yourself to a smaller, shrinking market. A true modern sports car has a far broader appeal than just a muscle car or aggressive sedan. It seems like the retro community gravitates towards Mustangs and Mopars, anyways.

The Camaro already gets knocked for visibility and and the design that favors performance over ergonomics, which is just fine with me. I like the cockpit feel. I don't like feeling like I'm riding on top of the car.

Then again I used to daily a Miata so my opinion is probably worthless.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Challenger sales have consistently lagged behind Mustang and Camaro despite being the cheapest entry to the field, and the most retro. Retro styling has no correlation to improved sales. It's a gimmick. I've said it before. If Camaro sales were as low as Challenger sales, the car would have never made it this far. These boards are Oh-so-fond of remarking that the lower sales on the Gen6 are a sign that the model is going extinct, yet now we're spinning it that the Challenger is some kind of a standard despite it's historically poor sales vs. the Camaro and Mustang? And let's not forget that enthusiast boards do not represent the majority.

Everything is "futuristic" when compared to its predecessor. The smoothed bubbled 4th gen was modern compared to the sharper angles of the 3rd gen. The 3rd gen was also called "futuristic" with it's wedge-shaped aerodynamics vs. the 2nd gen. 10yr run, 1.5M units on 3rd gen Camaro not counting Firebird sales. The 2nd gen was futuristic compared to the 1st gen. Etc etc etc. You get 1 generation that goes retro and all of a sudden it's the only styling discipline that makes sense? No.

The "pissed off look" is called Aggressive. What's your target market? I'd rather my car look a little pissed off instead of looking like something out of Hello Kitty.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #21
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
No. The retro fad died about 10 years ago.

Cars should evolve over time, and I think the 911 is a great example of that. New 911 models are never retro, but you can clearly tell where it came from.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #22
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
retro sells, modern auto designers suck.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #23
BurningMan

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS / 2012 CBR1000RR
Me no like.
BurningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #24
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
I was the one that suggested the next Camaro look like the Avista and not because I don't like retro, quite the opposite. I'm thinking Gen 7 will be an entirely new design and the Avista concept is one of the better looking cars to come off GM's drawing board lately. Maybe they continue to evolve the current design but I hope not. I feel like it's time for something new and that is certainly in line with the design shifts that were seen in the first four generations.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:43 PM   #25
JhonnyGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
I was the one that suggested the next Camaro look like the Avista and not because I don't like retro, quite the opposite. I'm thinking Gen 7 will be an entirely new design and the Avista concept is one of the better looking cars to come off GM's drawing board lately. Maybe they continue to evolve the current design but I hope not. I feel like it's time for something new and that is certainly in line with the design shifts that were seen in the first four generations.
The Avista is Good example of a Modern CLASSIC! and And look how I emphasize the classic word, when you see it, you do not associate it with something futuristic, you associate it with something classic, its silhouette only expresses that, it is really modern, but the fusion between modern and classic is very well homogenized ... and what stands out? an angry classic in the modern era.
Attached Images

Last edited by JhonnyGTR; 06-28-2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Put a image of the car
Old 06-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #26
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
What was GM's excuse for giving Buick the Avista again?
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:14 AM   #27
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
The Avista is Good example of a Modern CLASSIC! and And look how I emphasize the classic word, when you see it, you do not associate it with something futuristic, you associate it with something classic, its silhouette only expresses that, it is really modern, but the fusion between modern and classic is very well homogenized ... and what stands out? an angry classic in the modern era.
The problem is the “classic” it embodies is upscale European. Nothing about this design fits this segment other than it being a 2-door coupe. I’m all for a new slate but oh hell no.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #28
JhonnyGTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
The problem is the “classic” it embodies is upscale European. Nothing about this design fits this segment other than it being a 2-door coupe. I’m all for a new slate but oh hell no.
So you think that the Second Gen Camaro and the AC Cobra looked All American?