#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #239
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The problem with the buying a "stripper car" these days is bass-ackwards. Instead of being less expensive, the Z/28 type "stripper" is outrageously expensive for being supposedly "stripped"....

V-8 stripper Camaros would sell like hot-cakes if you paid less for things being stripped out instead of paying way more...

The classic examples to me were the Road Runners of the 60s....stripped down, but lots of muscle....The appeal was their reduced price that came from being "stripped", but still a lot of V-8 power....Of course a very high priced, stripped car won't sell, why would it? They make no sense.
Very true. The 5th Gen Z/28 price was high due to the carbon ceramic brakes, DSSV dampers, and the LS7 engine, which were all quite expensive at that time. And also, even though less parts in a stripped down car would reduce material costs, the change in assembly process for a low volume car can add to labor costs for a different production path. I'm not an expert on the last part, but it can come into play depending on other factors.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #240

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Yeah, it's done with a V-6 option...A V-8 LS is the glaring open hole in the Camaro line-up.....

http://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/clie.../camaro/config

2018 1LS...........$26,900

2018 1LS w/V6...$28,395

2018 1LS w/V8...$30,000-$32,000....????...call this the V-8 Stripper....

2018 1SS...........$37,995

I would think there is plenty of wiggle room in between the 1SS (38K) and the 1LS (27K) for a much less expensive V8 option other than the 1SS.

The V-6 1LE is $32,895..., a $4,500 1LE option, which is basically an SS with V6....It takes another 5K to go to the 1SS price....

Leave it an LS, non 1LE, add 5K for the V8, and you're at $32K for a V-8 LS..
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #241
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Very true. The 5th Gen Z/28 price was high due to the carbon ceramic brakes, DSSV dampers, and the LS7 engine, which were all quite expensive at that time. And also, even though less parts in a stripped down car would reduce material costs, the change in assembly process for a low volume car can add to labor costs for a different production path. I'm not an expert on the last part, but it can come into play depending on other factors.
Personally, I think GM shot themselves in foot with the 5th Gen Z/28. By that I mean for future editions of the name plate. Just look at the discussion here. We're all talking about stripped, hard core track cars, or how it could be better than the Z1le. But yeah, the pricing was the real issue with the car. By the time it came out, the real expense of the car was Multec DSSV system. The LS7 was an engine without a car at the time, While I am no expert in the matter, in terms of supplier and labor contracts, it may have cost them more to cut the program than it did to use the engine in the car. But whatever the case, it certainly created a problem as to where to take the badge now.

The only real logical reasons I can find for the 5th gen Z/28 are first as halo car, to make a statement, and to increase the perceived value of the Camaro line up. This makes sense if you look at pricing of the 6th Gen, while not too far over in terms of model vs model at the base level, you still have SS models optioned that hit mid $50K. The idea of a $75K Camaro reduces that sticker shock a little bit.

Now this next part may be a bit of stretch, but there were some Corvette guys that bought the Z/28 as a track toy. the idea being that GM wanted to make the Camaro noticeable and legitimize it among the Corvette crowd. Why is that important? Well, we are about to see a new Corvette in Mid Engine format, at least that's how it seems. If that happens, and they move the entire Corvette line up to a true Euro supercar killer, it is going to drive away a fair amount of folks that bought the Corvette for it's daily driving and grand touring capability. Bringing a legitimate Camaro track car was step one, step two was creating a 6th Gen Camaro that was very close to the Corvette in terms of overall performance and styling. The hope that those disenchanted with a mid engine car, would stay in the GM family with the sleeker, better handling, more refined Camaro line up.

Whether the Z/28 did it's job to level up the Camaro perception remains to be seen, but I'm sure the development of the new Corvette was in the works at that time. But it still leaves that problem of what to do with the badge now. The Z/28 only existed from the beginning so they could beat Mustangs in Trans Am Racing. From there, it held many places in the line up from top (2nd and 3rd Gen) to bottom (4th Gen), but none were as a street legal race car until the 5th Gen.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #242
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The reason the Z/28 was so expensive is because the LS7. I read that if they added the LS7 to the 1LE, it would have been as expensive as the ZL1 but slower in every way. To make the car perform, they had to go the route they did.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #243
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Personally, I think GM shot themselves in foot with the 5th Gen Z/28. By that I mean for future editions of the name plate. Just look at the discussion here. We're all talking about stripped, hard core track cars, or how it could be better than the Z1le. But yeah, the pricing was the real issue with the car. By the time it came out, the real expense of the car was Multec DSSV system. The LS7 was an engine without a car at the time, While I am no expert in the matter, in terms of supplier and labor contracts, it may have cost them more to cut the program than it did to use the engine in the car. But whatever the case, it certainly created a problem as to where to take the badge now.

The only real logical reasons I can find for the 5th gen Z/28 are first as halo car, to make a statement, and to increase the perceived value of the Camaro line up. This makes sense if you look at pricing of the 6th Gen, while not too far over in terms of model vs model at the base level, you still have SS models optioned that hit mid $50K. The idea of a $75K Camaro reduces that sticker shock a little bit.

Now this next part may be a bit of stretch, but there were some Corvette guys that bought the Z/28 as a track toy. the idea being that GM wanted to make the Camaro noticeable and legitimize it among the Corvette crowd. Why is that important? Well, we are about to see a new Corvette in Mid Engine format, at least that's how it seems. If that happens, and they move the entire Corvette line up to a true Euro supercar killer, it is going to drive away a fair amount of folks that bought the Corvette for it's daily driving and grand touring capability. Bringing a legitimate Camaro track car was step one, step two was creating a 6th Gen Camaro that was very close to the Corvette in terms of overall performance and styling. The hope that those disenchanted with a mid engine car, would stay in the GM family with the sleeker, better handling, more refined Camaro line up.

Whether the Z/28 did it's job to level up the Camaro perception remains to be seen, but I'm sure the development of the new Corvette was in the works at that time. But it still leaves that problem of what to do with the badge now. The Z/28 only existed from the beginning so they could beat Mustangs in Trans Am Racing. From there, it held many places in the line up from top (2nd and 3rd Gen) to bottom (4th Gen), but none were as a street legal race car until the 5th Gen.
The LS7 would have always been relatively expensive to produce, because rather than being built on an assembly line with many folks doing single tasks pumping out engines by the dozen, each engine was hand built by only one engineer throughout the whole process.

Right now Chevy put the LS7 on a discounted price of almost $15k (the original price is over $17k, and Chevy is saying "limited quantities available", which means they are probably not making them any more, just selling what's left) for 505HP. You can also buy an LT376/535 for a bit more than $11k, for 535HP. This may not perfectly reflect manufacturing costs, but you get the picture...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #244
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:24 AM   #245
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
The LS7 would have always been relatively expensive to produce, because rather than being built on an assembly line with many folks doing single tasks pumping out engines by the dozen, each engine was hand built by only one engineer throughout the whole process.

Right now Chevy put the LS7 on a discounted price of almost $15k (the original price is over $17k, and Chevy is saying "limited quantities available", which means they are probably not making them any more, just selling what's left) for 505HP. You can also buy an LT376/535 for a bit more than $11k, for 535HP. This may not perfectly reflect manufacturing costs, but you get the picture...
Yeah, I'm familiar with LS7 production. My point about the LS7 was that it was an engine that had no real home. With the popularity of the C6 Z06, they made a lot of them, and thus most likely had contracts for x amount of parts to build them and perhaps, it would've cost them more to abandon or amend those contracts, then to just create a car for the engine.

The real point of my post was that perhaps the purpose, the reason why, for the Z/28 was increase the prestige of the Camaro, to make the name more appealing to those folks they would otherwise lose when the Corvette eventually went mid engine. I'm just suggesting that the Z/28 wasn't made to be all hail to glory in and of itself as it was a smaller part of a bigger plan.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #246
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
IMO, the Z/28 was built as a parts car and was a success.
As a Z/28 owner..... +1..... most people were scared off due to the "it'll rattle your teeth loose" or "you'll need a kidney belt" comments. As we know, there are lots of guys on Gen5 who've owned just about anything and everything and believe the Z/28 is the best car they've ever owned. It's a car that yiou have to experience to fully appreciate.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #247
Doug Halsey
Toy Collector

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
As a Z/28 owner..... +1..... most people were scared off due to the "it'll rattle your teeth loose" or "you'll need a kidney belt" comments. As we know, there are lots of guys on Gen5 who've owned just about anything and everything and believe the Z/28 is the best car they've ever owned. It's a car that you have to experience to fully appreciate.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #248
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
IMO most people don't think of any Camaro As a got to have sports car, its not a porsche, BMW, Audi, and the like, so when they see a car in the $76K range and its a Camaro 99.9999% think we are nuts, Its there loss for never driven that grate car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #249
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
Why did this section even get created in the first place? Was there ever any confirmation from Chevy that a Z/28 was happening this generation or has it all been speculation? It just seems like wishful thinking at this point.

I recall it all being based on some spy shots that turned out to be the ZL1 1LE . Is there anything else that's happened since to make the Z/28 a possibility this generation?
my exact thoughts. people spending this much time and energy in z28 posts on a car that is only rumored makes me laugh lol.
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #250
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
my exact thoughts. people spending this much time and energy in z28 posts on a car that is only rumored makes me laugh lol.
The fact that people who aren’t interested in this car, spend the time and effort to make such a comment, makes me laugh.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #251
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kise View Post
Camaro5 had it for a long time before the Z28 was revealed. There wasn't any evidence of that. People can dream. Let them.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #252
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Yeah, it's done with a V-6 option...A V-8 LS is the glaring open hole in the Camaro line-up.....

http://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/clie.../camaro/config

2018 1LS...........$26,900

2018 1LS w/V6...$28,395

2018 1LS w/V8...$30,000-$32,000....????...call this the V-8 Stripper....

2018 1SS...........$37,995

I would think there is plenty of wiggle room in between the 1SS (38K) and the 1LS (27K) for a much less expensive V8 option other than the 1SS.

The V-6 1LE is $32,895..., a $4,500 1LE option, which is basically an SS with V6....It takes another 5K to go to the 1SS price....

Leave it an LS, non 1LE, add 5K for the V8, and you're at $32K for a V-8 LS..
This , i’m really hoping to order a 2019 Camaro V8 stripper.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote