#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

AWE Tuning

Thread Closed

Old 11-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
GM announces plant closings and ending production of several sedans

The plants include three car factories: one in Lordstown, Ohio, that makes the Chevrolet Cruze compact; the Detroit-Hamtramck plant, where the Chevrolet Volt, Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac CT6 are produced; and a plant in Oshawa, Ontario, which primarily makes the Chevrolet Impala. I’m not shocked at this news and can’t help but think there will be more to follow, sadly with Americans love affair with boring SUV’s. Trade war tariffs on steel are also cutting into corporate profits and influencing these decisions.....

Last edited by Chazzz; 11-27-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
The plants include three car factories: one in Lordstown, Ohio, that makes the Chevrolet Cruze compact; the Detroit-Hamtramck plant, where the Chevrolet Volt, Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac CT6 are produced; and a plant in Oshawa, Ontario, which primarily makes the Chevrolet Impala. I’m not shocked at this news and can’t help but think there will be more to follow, sadly with Americans love affair with boring SUV’s. Trade war tariffs on steel are also cutting into corporate profits and influencing these decisions....
I got excited when I heard they were making a new Chevy Blazer.....I was thinking midsized, v6 or v8, rear wheel drive toy........then I read up on it and it's really just another front wheel drive non-racing, non-towing Traverse.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
It's got nothing to do with trade tariffs, but everything to do with consumer's changing tastes. Even Camry's and Accords are way down. The sedan as we know it is essentially dead.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
ChetCamaro

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10
Nothing to do with tariffs, good economy and low gas prices are driving it.

+1 on the Blazer comments. IMHO Chevy blew it on that one. Hard to believe that folks are looking for a bigger Equinox/smaller Traverse. I expect the engine will turn off at stop lights as well, and with no defeat button. <sigh>
Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #5
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Isn’t this due to the fact that people are buying more suvs and fewer sedans ?

Last edited by z28pat; 11-26-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 11-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
The plants include three car factories: one in Lordstown, Ohio, that makes the Chevrolet Cruze compact; the Detroit-Hamtramck plant, where the Chevrolet Volt, Buick LaCrosse and Cadillac CT6 are produced; and a plant in Oshawa, Ontario, which primarily makes the Chevrolet Impala. I’m not shocked at this news and can’t help but think there will be more to follow, sadly with Americans love affair with boring SUV’s. Trade war tariffs on steel are also cutting into corporate profits and influencing these decisions....
So GM cut some boring sedans so people will buy boring SUVs.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
Chazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
It's got nothing to do with trade tariffs, but everything to do with consumer's changing tastes. Even Camry's and Accords are way down. The sedan as we know it is essentially dead.
The governor of Ohio whose state just lost it’s Chevy Cruze Lordstown assembly plant disagrees. He states that trade war tariffs have cut already very slim profit margins on these slow selling cars making it next to impossible to continue production. Also, over the summer GM warned that tariffs “could lead to a smaller GM”.... It’s sad to watch Americans love affair with the boring SUV bring about the demise of some, and eventually most all, of some very spirited passenger cars.....

Last edited by Chazzz; 11-26-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
smokinzx14r

Drives: 2018 1SS
I would think with the low sales numbers on the Camaro it would also be on the list ..
Old 11-26-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
Chazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
So GM cut some boring sedans so people will buy boring SUVs.
The raised ride height in SUV’s that allows the increased visibility that American consumers now demand are the same reason that eliminates any hope of a spirited driving experience. I for one will miss some of the passenger cars that ford and now GM have axed. And trust me, NO car is safe!!!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #10
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
IMO it really has nothing to do with the type if car, it is the fact that the domestic car companies cant make as good of commodity vehicle as the Japanese or Koreans. Not saying they cant make a good car, GM can make a good $40k 2 door performance car, but they cant make as good of a $20k 4 door sedan.

Throw in the fact that the deprecation on a domestic sedan is 2-3x that of a Japanese or European equivalent.

In 2015 I bought a new Sierra 1500 SLE Z71. Sticker was $43k, bought it for $38k. 3 years later I went to sell it and I struggled to get $23k for it on the open market (not a scratch on it with 24,000 miles). That was 46% in 3 years with VERY low miles.

Previous vehicle was a 2013 4Runner SR5 (base model). Stickered for $36k, paid $36k. Drove it two years and sold it for $31k with 42,000 miles on it. Put $4000 cash in my pocket after I paid off the loan.

Previous vehicle to that - 2011 Golf TDI. Bought for $27k (Demo with 3500 miles on it). Drove it 2 years and put 40k miles on it. Sold it for $23k.

Regardless of performance, longevity, etc....... the financial consequences of buying a domestic vehicle are significantly higher than their competitors. Hence HUGE rebates to help offset it.

Now I know this is a futile place to make these statements (on a Camaro forum) and it may be a bit hypocritical as I am a Camaro owner, but for the average person looking for an average car to do average things with minimal depreciation and lowest cost of ownership then I would tell you to buy a Camery over an Impala every day.

FYI - I grew up in Michigan. Both of my grandfathers, my dad, my uncles, my cousins and my friends all have worked for or work for GM. I have a brother in law who owns a Chevy dealership. I qualify for every GM employee discount you can get on a new vehicle, and the last car I bought for my wife was close to MSRP on a Forester.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
Chazzz

When a manufacturer puts incentives on the hood to move the metal it affects used car resale values regardless of the brand. True that American brands have a long history of large rebates and incentives, hence the notorious huge depreciation numbers. Exactly why I have learned the hard way to look where the car will be several years down the road and make sure I get in very well up front.....Deal Hard!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2018, 10:35 PM   #12
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
IMO it really has nothing to do with the type if car, it is the fact that the domestic car companies cant make as good of commodity vehicle as the Japanese or Koreans. Not saying they cant make a good car, GM can make a good $40k 2 door performance car, but they cant make as good of a $20k 4 door sedan.

Throw in the fact that the deprecation on a domestic sedan is 2-3x that of a Japanese or European equivalent.

In 2015 I bought a new Sierra 1500 SLE Z71. Sticker was $43k, bought it for $38k. 3 years later I went to sell it and I struggled to get $23k for it on the open market (not a scratch on it with 24,000 miles). That was 46% in 3 years with VERY low miles.

Previous vehicle was a 2013 4Runner SR5 (base model). Stickered for $36k, paid $36k. Drove it two years and sold it for $31k with 42,000 miles on it. Put $4000 cash in my pocket after I paid off the loan.

Previous vehicle to that - 2011 Golf TDI. Bought for $27k (Demo with 3500 miles on it). Drove it 2 years and put 40k miles on it. Sold it for $23k.

Regardless of performance, longevity, etc....... the financial consequences of buying a domestic vehicle are significantly higher than their competitors. Hence HUGE rebates to help offset it.

Now I know this is a futile place to make these statements (on a Camaro forum) and it may be a bit hypocritical as I am a Camaro owner, but for the average person looking for an average car to do average things with minimal depreciation and lowest cost of ownership then I would tell you to buy a Camery over an Impala every day.

FYI - I grew up in Michigan. Both of my grandfathers, my dad, my uncles, my cousins and my friends all have worked for or work for GM. I have a brother in law who owns a Chevy dealership. I qualify for every GM employee discount you can get on a new vehicle, and the last car I bought for my wife was close to MSRP on a Forester.
Your stated 2-3x depreciation is greatly exaggerated.

There's not much you can compare to the 4Runner as far as resale value goes. Part of the issue with your calculation is you're also going off of MSRP on the Sierra when that is not what you paid. Deals are always there to be had on trucks. I got 13.5k off of my F150. Why would I calculate depreciation off of MSRP when nobody pays that except maybe when they just hit the lots?

I bought a 2012 Subaru Legacy in 2011 and sold it in 2015 after about 4 years of ownership. MSRP was 25.5k and I sold it for 15.5k.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:46 AM   #13
Chazzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetCamaro View Post
Nothing to do with tariffs, good economy and low gas prices are driving it.

+1 on the Blazer comments. IMHO Chevy blew it on that one. Hard to believe that folks are looking for a bigger Equinox/smaller Traverse. I expect the engine will turn off at stop lights as well, and with no defeat button. <sigh>
While I agree that lower gas prices have helped increase demand for SUV’s and trucks and the trend has certainly been away from passenger cars....“The tariffs on aluminum and steel imports that were imposed earlier this year may have also been a factor, as GM and other automakers have been clear they’re bad for business. Ford CEO James Hackett said in September that tariffs cost the company about $1 billion in profit. GM warned in June that they could lead to a “reduced presence” in the US and abroad and risk less US jobs”.... Adding the loss of of corporate profit from trade tariffs to an already very slim profit margin on these slow selling cars makes continued production unsustainable....
Old 11-27-2018, 12:55 AM   #14
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinzx14r View Post
I would think with the low sales numbers on the Camaro it would also be on the list ..
Something tells me that GM hasn't axed the Camaro (yet, they've done it before) is because Ford hasn't canned the Mustang.

Ford realizes that the Mustang is part of the company's DNA. GM has no such allegiance to the Camaro.

Maybe GM was far into development of the 7th gen. and realized it wasn't cost effective to cancel it (yet).

Will be interesting to see the fate of the Camaro during the time of the 7th gen.

FYI...If you didn't know...A couple of months ago Scott Settlemire confirmed that GM is working on a 7th gen. Camaro.
Closed Thread