Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
AchiliesSS

Drives: 2017 Black on Black 1SS
Sport vs Track mode

Ok so before anyone says there's a thread on this, I know already but it's doesn't answer the questions I need and there's too much to jumble through, i find the info is fairly vague as well. I have been doing alot of testing, and have realised that track mode throttle curve is stronger up top but lazy at lower rpm and sport is literally the opposite, the upper rpm throttle map is not as strong as the track, has anyone else noticed this? Alot of people were believing that sport would be better in drag and I found that to be false cause of the lack in linear throttle up top rpm range from 4k up track come in stronger. But the problem here is when you can get the car to hook via tires, then track ruined all of that UNLESS! You launch the car at 4k then only will your 60ft be quicker!! Otherwise on street tires you have to launch around 2k to 2200 I found to be the sweet spot and then sport will be quicker than track. I have spoke to my local tuners and they both believe we can tune the independent modes track and sport to all be linear, and also another way to overcome this is to get a vitesse throttle controller or other brand and bump the throttle map up so either mode will then virtually be the same, but once again as stated before, the controller doesn't reduce lag! Only adjust the linear curve so less throttle control it'll be more like a on and off switch for throttle the higher the sensitivity so it only benefits if you can hook up via tires. Please share your input guys, thank, oh and Damn! That panzy wus track engineer who set our track mode and left us with a one or the other but never the best of both worlds option for our car when it comes to throttle maping. I want all linear curve unless maybe snow which I wouldn't drive in regardless.
AchiliesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
AchiliesSS

Also I did my testing with slips and tires alot of runs but I lost all my dang slips out the window, so I will be doing this all over so I can show numbers and details on each run. Sorry for the lack of proof at the moment.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
There's only so much throttle movement available - you can either get more of it sooner at the expense of response up top, or more up top with slower throttle opening rates down low.

Track mode would be what you want when you only need to be concerned with upper rpm driving, which would clearly mean road course driving. At the dragstrip, launch is still on you, the driver, as is keeping the throttle wide open as much as possible once you get rolling. Getting past softer low-end/lower midrange response in 1st gear is a matter of axle gearing if you have way more tire grip than torque.

Sport mode sounds like it's more intended to give more 'sparkle' in street driving. Not as serious as 'Track', but more so than the 'meh' of 'Normal'.

I suppose it's the difference between 'Normal Street', 'Sport Street', and 'Race', except that GM probably isn't going to officially call anything about their production cars 'race'.

Norm
Old 11-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchiliesSS View Post
Ok so before anyone says there's a thread on this, I know already but it's doesn't answer the questions I need and there's too much to jumble through, i find the info is fairly vague as well. I have been doing alot of testing, and have realised that track mode throttle curve is stronger up top but lazy at lower rpm and sport is literally the opposite, the upper rpm throttle map is not as strong as the track, has anyone else noticed this? Alot of people were believing that sport would be better in drag and I found that to be false cause of the lack in linear throttle up top rpm range from 4k up track come in stronger. But the problem here is when you can get the car to hook via tires, then track ruined all of that UNLESS! You launch the car at 4k then only will your 60ft be quicker!! Otherwise on street tires you have to launch around 2k to 2200 I found to be the sweet spot and then sport will be quicker than track. I have spoke to my local tuners and they both believe we can tune the independent modes track and sport to all be linear, and also another way to overcome this is to get a vitesse throttle controller or other brand and bump the throttle map up so either mode will then virtually be the same, but once again as stated before, the controller doesn't reduce lag! Only adjust the linear curve so less throttle control it'll be more like a on and off switch for throttle the higher the sensitivity so it only benefits if you can hook up via tires. Please share your input guys, thank, oh and Damn! That panzy wus track engineer who set our track mode and left us with a one or the other but never the best of both worlds option for our car when it comes to throttle maping. I want all linear curve unless maybe snow which I wouldn't drive in regardless.
Yeh...I noticed this too at the lower end it Track mode, never really tested at the higher end . I keep mine in sport mode but if I accidently put it in Track mode around town I instantly know coming off a light because it feels sluggish then without thinking about it pop it back in Sport mode. I was actually thinking that when it track mode you need to keep it there for a while so the computer relearns the change. I just never kept it there long enough because I am happy with Sport mode.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
This reminds me how much I miss cable operated TB!
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
AchiliesSS

Yes, its a gimic I miss my 84 z28 with cable operated throttle. It was cool at first to have all the features but when It holds me back from doing what the car was built and bought for then it gets annoying finding solutions.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
You do realize that TB cable lobes had their own "pedal curve" based on the lobe or cam shape? The DBW lets the calibrators give you multiple pedal curves at the flick of a switch versus popping the hood and installing a new cable cam on your throttle body.

The torque request maps are clearly visible in HP Tuners. If you don't like one of the stock ones you can program your own map to get the shape you want.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
I have been doing alot of testing, and have realised that track mode throttle curve is stronger up top but lazy at lower rpm and sport is literally the opposite, the upper rpm throttle map is not as strong as the track, has anyone else noticed this?
I have definitely noticed this. The throttle map differences between the modes are seemingly more pronounced in the 6M than the A8 for some reason.

I generally leave it in sport or touring when tooling around town and track when I want do more aggressive driving in the mid-high rpm range.

Track is more sluggish at tip-in but also feels the most natural and linear to me.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The torque request maps are clearly visible in HP Tuners. If you don't like one of the stock ones you can program your own map to get the shape you want.
That's got to be a whole lot easier than DIY'ing your own cable cam (been there).

Norm
Old 11-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #10
AchiliesSS

I know what you mean about the throttle body cams, but those adjust the throw of the blade in response to the peddle position vs these cars torque request are a bases off of rpm and vehicle speed regardless of how far your into the pedal the computer will regulate how much torque to allow you to have based on conditions and progress from there. The throttle bodies as long as you pushed the peddle to the floor fast enough you got it all right then, the modes on these with torque mapping waits till the engine hits a certain rpm, and ofcourse this is all being said that you are engaged in drive or gear otherwise it would give it all at once even with track mode if you dump the clutch at wot obviously
Old 11-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #11
AchiliesSS

Throttle body cam/blade position and throttle mapping/torque management work completely different
Old 11-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #12
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
I actually prefer cable also but keep in mind these electronic throttles also help us get good gas mileage because it senses the input we give it and adjusts accordingly how to meter the fuel.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #13
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Throttle body cam/blade position and throttle mapping/torque management work completely different
If that's true then you're unable to fix your problem.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #14
AchiliesSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
If that's true then you're unable to fix your problem.
?? This is true but We both stated there is a fix, a tune!! I just wanted to discuss the matter