Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-25-2015, 01:54 AM   #1
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Zl1 or 2SS

Well Im 17 right now and i've been a camaro lover since i was 10_11 years old i had all my walls filled with posters of trans ams and all camaros except for the gen4 that im not a fan of but unfortunatly i never had the chance to even sit in a camaro.right now im starting to drive with my causin's car a late 2013 model genesis coupe with auto trany.i will keep it for a couple years and i will get my next car which hopefuly will be a camaro in late 2017._2018.i know that a lot of you might say that he is young and how can he afford an SS or zl1,well i can't but thankfuly my father's corrent business and financial condition allows him to be able to get me an expensive car.i know its soon to deside and worry about it but it really got me to think,if i get the 6gen SS i will have the nice new look,the great interior,the great techs BUT if i get a 2015 zl1 it will probebly have more power and a better sound.i know that 455 HP is a lot for a first time V8 person.but the unique sound and power is something else.

so which one would you recommend

2017 2SS:nice and expensive interior_high tech_higher price

2015 zl1:not so good interior_better performance,power and sound_lower price

Thank you for your kind and helpful replies
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:29 AM   #2
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Neither, you would probably kill yourself or a camel.

BTW there are 100 topics on the 5th gen forum of kids like you asking for Camaro buying advice with their parents blank. Check it out to get all your answers. Drive Safely.
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:31 AM   #3
amerhash28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBody View Post
Neither, you would probably kill yourself or a camel.

BTW there are 100 topics on the 5th gen forum of kids like you asking for Camaro buying advice with their parents blank. Check it out to get all your answers. Drive Safely.
Well thats the reason im waiting for 2 years,to improve my driving skills.
Can you give me a link?this camaro5 forum has millions of threads on it i just don't know where is it
Old 08-25-2015, 03:42 AM   #4
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerhash28 View Post
Well thats the reason im waiting for 2 years,to improve my driving skills.
Can you give me a link?this camaro5 forum has millions of threads on it i just don't know where is it
looks like you need to improve your internet searching skills as well

try searching "Camaro5 parents" "Camaro5 for teenager" "Camaro5 graduating" "Camaro5 17 yr old" you should definitely get some results
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:54 AM   #5
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I'd opt for the new SS. The ZL1 is an amazing looking car and what would draw me to it is the massive power and potential along with aggressive looks. However, for the street, there really is no need for all the power. The car will also be about 300-400 pounds heavier than the SS and I think real world performance won't be far off.. Remember, this thing isn't a runner in a straight line like a much lighter GT500.

I'd opt for newer tech, better architecture, updated looks, and cheaper to maintain.

Whatever you get, be careful and keep it off the street. I was 17 about a decade ago and teenagers don't change. Just about everyone dicks around, but not everyone gets caught or has something bad happen.

Most of us wouldn't tell you not to get it because of affordability, but more so safety and because we were your age once and know the possibilities... Especially for your age group.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:16 AM   #6
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Hold out until you see the new 2SS in person, then you will know.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
2015 ZL1 gets probably 10-15mpg less than what the Gen 6 Camaro 2SS should get. Both are way too much car for a young driver unless you get proper training.

My oldest son was driving a 600hp 468ci BBC 1974 Camaro that we built (see pic below, far left next to my SRT8) when he was 17 but he had been racing carts for several years by then.

There is a ZL1 Conv for sale by me for $38K with 30k miles. So tempting.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
Millertime555

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
If you want to know that it has been well taken care of, go for a new SS. In terms of sound, it's not black and white that the ZL1 sounds better, you need hear both in person before deciding. Also consider insurance, as the ZL1 is obviously boosted, whereas the SS is not. And in terms of overall performance, don't think that the SS will be a slouch in comparison, with the weight loss and power gain (as well as other improvements) I expect it to be 90-95% of the ZL1, but with a nice interior and modern electronics.
Millertime555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
If you don't care much to keep your powertrain warranty intact, go for the SS and modify it to get the sound and performance you're looking for. Start with an exhaust, and if you don't think that's enough, go up from there.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
amerhash28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I'd opt for the new SS. The ZL1 is an amazing looking car and what would draw me to it is the massive power and potential along with aggressive looks. However, for the street, there really is no need for all the power. The car will also be about 300-400 pounds heavier than the SS and I think real world performance won't be far off.. Remember, this thing isn't a runner in a straight line like a much lighter GT500.

I'd opt for newer tech, better architecture, updated looks, and cheaper to maintain.

Whatever you get, be careful and keep it off the street. I was 17 about a decade ago and teenagers don't change. Just about everyone dicks around, but not everyone gets caught or has something bad happen.

Most of us wouldn't tell you not to get it because of affordability, but more so safety and because we were your age once and know the possibilities... Especially for your age group.
Thank you for this great advice and information. No power is not an issue for me because im sure 455 HP is more that I can even think of I've heard the NPP on C7 and on the zl1 and its just something special about the zl1.the sound,the power l,the look and in general,the whole personality and the badass character of it...
With all this features on the new 2SS.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #11
amerhash28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
If you don't care much to keep your powertrain warranty intact, go for the SS and modify it to get the sound and performance you're looking for. Start with an exhaust, and if you don't think that's enough, go up from there.
Dude,455 HP is more than enough for me.i do care about warranty and I won't modify
the car(mechanical& performance) maybe some bolt-ons like CAI,Headers,etc but nothing really serious.i don't know much about mechanical upgrades,can anyone here knows how much power we get from headers?and what does it do to the sound?
Old 08-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #12
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerhash28 View Post
Dude,455 HP is more than enough for me.i do care about warranty and I won't modify
the car(mechanical& performance) maybe some bolt-ons like CAI,Headers,etc but nothing really serious.i don't know much about mechanical upgrades,can anyone here knows how much power we get from headers?and what does it do to the sound?
If 455 is enough, get the 2016 2SS. The interior is much nicer.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #13
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
Has anyone actually sat in a 2016 2SS to say the interior is much nicer? Pics look nice. But without sitting in one / seeing one in person, comments aren't valid.

I agree, for a young man (or woman), 580hp, or even 455hp is too much car for a first car. As mature as you think you may be, the hp is intoxicating and can make fools of us all.

Love Camaros - why not a gen5 SS? or a gen4? Start out with the best there is and you'll lack the appreciation of moving to something better. Just one person's perspective.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:18 AM   #14
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
I hate to sound like a grown up, but I'm 41 and have been in love with Camaros since I was 17 too. And you're not going to like to hear this but the SS is too much car for someone just learning to drive, even if you can afford it. We are just looking out for your safety, you want to have a nice long life enjoying Camaros for decades to come. The V6 is even enough power to get into trouble. I say this because I did some stupid things in my old 77 2 door Impala, with like 150 HP, namely speeding. If I could go back in time I would kick myself in my own a$$. If you're hell bent on the SS remember take it easy, this car can get away from you before you know it. I had to wait until I was 40 to buy my 1st Camaro, a V6, student loans, family, buying a house etc.