Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #323
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
My kid wants to get a car right after he gets out of college...been going back and forth on Cruze or Sonic...Might wait and add a Gen6 to the equation...lol...(He's got his heart set on a "turbo" of some kind)...
Just teach your son that turbo doesn't mean what he thinks it does. It means take a smaller engine and put an exhaust driven compressor on it to make more power than it otherwise would and still get the rough FE of the base engine. Worked great on the Buick 3.8L V6 which was awesome. I was going to get a plate that said Trbo gln or something like that because 3.8L is a gallon LOL. Sounded cooler at the time I guess.

But today it means take an anemic 1.4L and boost it so it has decent drivability and great FE. So the 1.4L T in the Sonic and Cruze has a whole different meaning. 2.0T on the other hand is no better than a good V6 for performance. You just have lighter weight and better FE than the 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I can only base my opinion with my experience on the Kappa platform, and in that application the 2.0T works great.
Mine looked just like the one in your sig. Had the GMPP calibration. Wish I still had it. Maybe you have mine, when did you buy it? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I like the kinder, gentler, Dragoneye.
I watched Dragoneye dissapear over burgers on my back deck after C5Fest. It was an amazing sight. It might take something pretty powerful to bring Dragoneye back. Mr. Wyndham is driving around in a ZL1. Dragoneye had one on order and was lusting after one for many years.

So it's kind of like wishing the butterfly could be a caterpillar again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
If the R&D budget or packaging considerations for the I-4 compromise the V8 version in any way, it's worth speaking out against it before they go too far down that rabbit hole.
The only way that happens is if you don't package for the V8 in the first place. V8 is bigger, needs more radiator and needs a bigger transmission just for starters. So if the V8 is considered from the begining this isn't an issue.

Quote:
Based on the Kappa platform, packaging is not an issue because a small block Chevy slides right in there ...
I thought Mallet had to use a hammer in a few places
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #324

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just teach your son that turbo doesn't mean what he thinks it does. It means take a smaller engine and put an exhaust driven compressor on it to make more power than it otherwise would and still get the rough FE of the base engine. Worked great on the Buick 3.8L V6 which was awesome. I was going to get a plate that said Trbo gln or something like that because 3.8L is a gallon LOL. Sounded cooler at the time I guess.

But today it means take an anemic 1.4L and boost it so it has decent drivability and great FE. So the 1.4L T in the Sonic and Cruze has a whole different meaning. 2.0T on the other hand is no better than a good V6 for performance. You just have lighter weight and better FE than the 6.

That's sort of what I thought, but then I've been hearing that the turbo now is more of a factor at all speeds, not just when you "get on it"...that they are more reliable than before...dunno...but if you gotta get your foot into it to feel the turbo, probably kills any economy...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #325
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
That's sort of what I thought, but then I've been hearing that the turbo now is more of a factor at all speeds, not just when you "get on it"...that they are more reliable than before...dunno...but if you gotta get your foot into it to feel the turbo, probably kills any economy...
That's about how they work. Under normal driving you only have a moderate loss of economy due to the exhaust driven compressor.

But the smaller Turbos, under 1.5L you are simply getting equivalent performance to the base engine. Using Cruze/Sonic as the example you can get the same HP in either a 1.4L Turbo or a NA 1.8L. But the Turbo is the higher FE engine. So in this case you aren't getting any more driving performance.

So it really is about the equivalency the Turbo adds. Look at the 1.6L Turbo GM uses on Opels. That is still not quite the HP as the new NA 2.5L GM has in the Malibu and ATS. But it will get better FE.

Ford uses this even more. They have a 1.6L Turbo they put in the new Escape and Fusion. In the Escape that is 178 Hp which is actually higher than the base 2.5L and also gets better FE. Then they add the 2.0L T as the top end choice at 240 HP. The 1.6L T is the best for FE.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #326
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Brother in law had one of those Iron Duke 4 cylinder Camaros. Long on looks, short on performance.
I think some of us are envisioning an entry level car, with crank windows, manual locks, and no a/c. A Camaro XFE.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #327
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStick View Post
Brother in law had one of those Iron Duke 4 cylinder Camaros. Long on looks, short on performance.
I think some of us are envisioning an entry level car, with crank windows, manual locks, and no a/c. A Camaro XFE.
I'd love a camaro with manual locks, windows, no AC, no Onstar and came with 550+ N/A HP for 30k. A REAL street brawler!

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #328
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I'd love a camaro with manual locks, windows, no AC, no Onstar and came with 550+ N/A HP for 30k. A REAL street brawler!
I'm with you man.

Let's keep Pony Cars what they are. We've all seen the numerous V8 vs V6 arguments, but the fact is both sides have to agree to the simple fact: Those engines were both there from the start. You could get a 1964 1/2 Mustang with a V6 or a V8, and you could get a 1967 Camaro with a V6 or V8. Neither car had a 4-cylinder option. You want a 4-banger, fine. But dont call it a Camaro because its not. Do what Ford did in the 1980s with the Probe. Design a new model car for those clamoring for a 4-cylder Pony Car. But remember, the Ford Probe was a failure.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #329
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
I'm with you man.

Let's keep Pony Cars what they are. We've all seen the numerous V8 vs V6 arguments, but the fact is both sides have to agree to the simple fact: Those engines were both there from the start. You could get a 1964 1/2 Mustang with a V6 or a V8, and you could get a 1967 Camaro with a V6 or V8. Neither car had a 4-cylinder option. You want a 4-banger, fine. But dont call it a Camaro because its not. Do what Ford did in the 1980s with the Probe. Design a new model car for those clamoring for a 4-cylder Pony Car. But remember, the Ford Probe was a failure.

There were no V6's in the first gens, in fact they didn't exist at all ...
Old 02-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #330
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
There were no I-4s in any of them, either.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #331
Lou_Dorchen

Quote:
The 1967 Camaro had a 6-cylinder option.
http://www.firstgencamaro.com/1967.html

So did the 1964 1/2 Mustang.
http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/64-65.shtml

I see you're playing semantics, but I think everyone (including you) sees my point.

Last edited by Lou_Dorchen; 02-17-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #332
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
There were no I-4s in any of them, either.
Maybe if they had a turbo 4 back then they would have???

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #333
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
The 1967 Camaro had a 6-cylinder option.
http://www.firstgencamaro.com/1967.html

So did the 1964 1/2 Mustang.
http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/64-65.shtml

I see you're playing semantics, but I think everyone (including you) sees my point.

So did the Vette and T-Bird ... Your point is what ? You don't like it so nobody should have it ...

FYI ... I didn't have to Google it, I was alive and well back then.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #334
Lou_Dorchen

Quote:
So did the Vette and T-Bird ... Your point is what ? You don't like it so nobody should have it ...
My point is exactly what I said it was. If GM wants to have a 4-cylinder option, design a new model like Ford did with the Probe, but dont call it a Camaro.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #335
revychevy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Quote:

FYI ... I didn't have to Google it, I was alive and well back then.
The point also is you said it didn't exist, I was alive then too so? Instead of making a snarky comment, how about he was right on a well known Camaro fact?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #336
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
I'm with you man.

How many 4 cyclinder engines did Ford or GM even offer in the 60's?

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation