Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 07-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I would jack the car up and double check all the torq on the suspension bolts...something seems off...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #16
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Mike, this was also a problem with Z06 Vettes. It was like driving a Jeckyl and Hyde car. If I eased into the throttle it was quick and stable. If I stomped on it, it was a totally different animal with a mind of it's own. It was a very fine line between the two. The rear always broke loose and fish tailed no matter what the mode. They helped/fought to keep it somewhat controlled but I knew I could not drive it without all the nannies on. It was like a hair trigger if I gave it too much, I had a very healthy respect for its power. Having spent a lot time driving my ZL1, the LT4 is a much different engine than my LSA. A lot bigger difference than just 70HP. I know you are a much more capable driver than I and I'm very interested to hear what the engineers at the Fest have to say about the issue. See you next week.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #17
Quicksilver64

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Nightfall Gray
Mike
I agree with others, sounds like something is wrong. I've broke loose out of curves at more than recommended speeds, and never felt out of control. I rolled one tire over a man hole cover at full throttle in 3rd gear a couple weeks ago. I could tell the rear diff was keeping it straight. A little jerk to the left but right back in line (my wife did not enjoy it) . Always very stable.
Hope you find the issue soon and get back to enjoying it. If you are like me this kind of thing would shake my confidence.
Quicksilver64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #18
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Can't say I've had any issues. My M3 felt more squirrelly on uneven pavement than this thing.

I just got back from a road trip, and even in the wet it wasn't bad with the stock tires. Got it north of triple digits a few times, one time up to 140 and it was stable.

I'd definitely get it checked out.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #19
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwille View Post
I'd check the alignment. Particularly the rear toe. I had a similar issue on my gen5. It was a toe eccentric that was loose enough to drift under load. Might not be it but easy to check.
That was Pete's first suggestion. I'll definitely take it in after the fest but kind of stuck right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USP45 View Post
I have noticed mine get just a little tail happy when pulling out to pass and getting on it pretty hard, but nothing like what you are describing. I agree with Artos, feels more like nannies stepping in (or maybe eLSD?) even though the stabilitrak light does not illuminate that I have noticed. Then again I am not really looking down at instrument cluster to see it come on when passing like that either...
I did watch eLSD and didn't see anything too crazy. Need to check my PDR as well and see what the video says.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I would jack the car up and double check all the torq on the suspension bolts...something seems off...
I didn't put a wrench on it but did a good shake down and couldn't feel anything loose. Might be a parking lot check in order when we get to BG. I'm trailering the car anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Mike, this was also a problem with Z06 Vettes. It was like driving a Jeckyl and Hyde car. If I eased into the throttle it was quick and stable. If I stomped on it, it was a totally different animal with a mind of it's own. It was a very fine line between the two. The rear always broke loose and fish tailed no matter what the mode. They helped/fought to keep it somewhat controlled but I knew I could not drive it without all the nannies on. It was like a hair trigger if I gave it too much, I had a very healthy respect for its power. Having spent a lot time driving my ZL1, the LT4 is a much different engine than my LSA. A lot bigger difference than just 70HP. I know you are a much more capable driver than I and I'm very interested to hear what the engineers at the Fest have to say about the issue. See you next week.
That's one of the reasons I figured the drag radials would help with traction. And when I was on the drag strip with Goodyears at 120 mph I know it wasn't breaking loose there but definitely hard to hold on to. But your right the normal driving doesn't seem to be an issue. I'm also used to losing a lot of traction on the launch and peddling through that but on the top end it's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver64 View Post
Mike
I agree with others, sounds like something is wrong. I've broke loose out of curves at more than recommended speeds, and never felt out of control. I rolled one tire over a man hole cover at full throttle in 3rd gear a couple weeks ago. I could tell the rear diff was keeping it straight. A little jerk to the left but right back in line (my wife did not enjoy it) . Always very stable.
Hope you find the issue soon and get back to enjoying it. If you are like me this kind of thing would shake my confidence.
I think I would be fine in the turns. Seems driving straight is the biggest issue.

Not trying to make more out of this than it is but damn my confidence is definitely shaken and could easily see this thing going bad. If Pete can't figure it out I'll take it to the dealer and I'm guessing that will be an ordeal in it self. How do you tell a tech to do a WOT 0-60 and hang on to your car.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #21
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
If Pete can't figure it out I'll take it to the dealer and I'm guessing that will be an ordeal in it self. How do you tell a tech to do a WOT 0-60 and hang on to your car.
If it comes to that amigo...I would perform the duplication myself with the tech to demonstrate. Biggest concern would be when they check their work!!

Yikes...
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #22
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
If it comes to that amigo...I would perform the duplication myself with the tech to demonstrate. Biggest concern would be when they check their work!!

Yikes...
Yup...
Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #23

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
How about the differential fluid? Have you ever changed it?....All I know is for my car it was recommended to change more often if tracked....Why, I'm not sure, but it's something...lol...Maybe elsd or whatever it is or does is more finicky....wild guess, good luck, again.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #24
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
If your at the track I'd let the rear tires down to about 26. You need a good burn out in the water to build some heat in the tires. Mine runs hard on the big end and I've never experienced that even with slicks. It digging all the way to the big end.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #25
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
I've been 145 on street tires, no issues.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #26
Miacamaro77

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Check that toe, I had mine off and when I would go for a pass at highway speeds it would break loose. I had alignment done and never happen again.
Miacamaro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #27
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
If your at the track I'd let the rear tires down to about 26. You need a good burn out in the water to build some heat in the tires. Mine runs hard on the big end and I've never experienced that even with slicks. It digging all the way to the big end.
yeah, I usually run my DRs at about 18 and dead hook. I don't think the issue is breaking loose though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
How about the differential fluid? Have you ever changed it?....All I know is for my car it was recommended to change more often if tracked....Why, I'm not sure, but it's something...lol...Maybe elsd or whatever it is or does is more finicky....wild guess, good luck, again.
that's why I started the tread. suggestions like this. I haven't tracked it much yet and had planned to go ahead and change it anyway but just no time and I hate doing that stuff at the dealer. My shop is an hour away and slammed with work right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
I've been 145 on street tires, no issues.
Me too... my 5th Gen Z had more power and no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miacamaro77 View Post
Check that toe, I had mine off and when I would go for a pass at highway speeds it would break loose. I had alignment done and never happen again.
will do for sure.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #28
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
One thing came to me tonight.

When I first started shopping the ZL1s a Salesman was bragging on how their new GM software/sensor systems would, "Correct out of control skids etc, by having the car apply corrective steering, braking and power adjustments in a fraction of a second."

Now I can see where the software is now somehow hiccuping and putting someone into the wall at the Track.

If this is the case, we really need to push to have a "by-pass mode" for Track use, (where these safety software nannies are deactivated).

I'd rather be in full control of the car, instead of always having the threat of a unexpected "Drive-By-Wire" Event.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote