Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 01-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #351
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Yeah.
This is about all I want from the heated/cooled seat functions, a little ventilation on a hot summer day.

Isn’t that a PWM fan? i believe what you’ve wired up is no different than using a relay
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #352
BlackNBlue24

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline_Farts View Post
Isn’t that a PWM fan? i believe what you’ve wired up is no different than using a relay
The controller I wired up sends a 60mV PWM signal to the fan's blue wire. I'm not sure what the duty cycle is. The lower the voltage in the signal, the faster the fan speed. 50mV is the limit I measured. The fan has 3 wires, red is 12V, black is GND, and blue is the PWM signal coming from the controller.
BlackNBlue24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #353
oOKhanhOo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNBlue24 View Post
The controller I wired up sends a 60mV PWM signal to the fan's blue wire. I'm not sure what the duty cycle is. The lower the voltage in the signal, the faster the fan speed. 50mV is the limit I measured. The fan has 3 wires, red is 12V, black is GND, and blue is the PWM signal coming from the controller.
Have you tried or consider switching the 1SS climate control for the 2SS dual zone climate control with the integrated hot/cold seat switch while using your setup?
oOKhanhOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #354
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline_Farts View Post
Quote:
This.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #355
BlackNBlue24

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOKhanhOo View Post
Have you tried or consider switching the 1SS climate control for the 2SS dual zone climate control with the integrated hot/cold seat switch while using your setup?
I did not try or consider simply from a cost perspective. The switch I used on my seat cost $2.50. Same results, a couple hundred dollars less
Old 01-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #356
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Quote:
Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster here. This weekend I was able to get the ventilated portion of my driver seat working using this DC motor controller and external switch. It's single speed, set to full power. I'm powering it using the 12V switched power running to the cigarette lighter, so I've separated this from the seat harness. I had to make a small wiring harness with connectors running to the switch, controller, and both fans. It works like a charm!

If y'all have any questions just let me know.

Video: https://youtu.be/trDvePzE_hk

Pics:
Awesome! This is what we were waiting for!

Would you be willing to do an idiot-proof write up when you have some time? Or maybe someone can make this plug and play?
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #357
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
A device like that speed controller typically works by rapidly switching the ground (0VDC) of the motor on and off. Full speed means always on. That being the case, I wonder if you could simply ground the PMW wire of fan and get full speed? Sorry if this has been covered already, but I've only reread up to page 5 so far and the discussion up to that point had been about applying a voltage to the PWM wire instead of grounding it.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #358
Titan71

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
BlackNBlue24 do you have a link to the controller that you used?
Titan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #359
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan71 View Post
BlackNBlue24 do you have a link to the controller that you used?
The wording “dc controller” is the link, scroll up and click. It’s a Chinese one on amazon for 10$
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #360
Cammed_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
Just put my order in. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week!

Thanks man!
Cammed_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #361
BlackNBlue24

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
Awesome! This is what we were waiting for!

Would you be willing to do an idiot-proof write up when you have some time? Or maybe someone can make this plug and play?
I can put something together in the next week or so. I didn't document everything to make a legit write up... not that many pics... so I can try my best to describe what I did. General splicing/soldering experience required (not 100% idiot-proof haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
A device like that speed controller typically works by rapidly switching the ground (0VDC) of the motor on and off. Full speed means always on. That being the case, I wonder if you could simply ground the PMW wire of fan and get full speed? Sorry if this has been covered already, but I've only reread up to page 5 so far and the discussion up to that point had been about applying a voltage to the PWM wire instead of grounding it.

Nigel
Here is some info on the fan itself, check out page 7.

The frequency voltage needs to be modulated. Running a solid 12VDC or a solid 0VDC will not spin the fan. I assume since the average voltage I was measuring was 60mV, the duty cycle (% of time at high voltage) was pretty low. Anything lower than a 50mV average shut the fan off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammed_1LE View Post
Just put my order in. Hopefully it will be here by the end of the week!

Thanks man!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #362
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Here is some info on the fan itself, check out page 7.

The frequency voltage needs to be modulated. Running a solid 12VDC or a solid 0VDC will not spin the fan. I assume since the average voltage I was measuring was 60mV, the duty cycle (% of time at high voltage) was pretty low. Anything lower than a 50mV average shut the fan off.

Thanks! I think I'm up to date now.

Is the fan power wire (red) constant hot, or at least ignition hot? I didn't see this mentioned anywhere. Sorry if I missed it.

EDIT: I guess I should clarify... are the fans even plugged into anything at all in the 1SS 1LE?

Nigel

Last edited by Whitespeed; 01-21-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #363
BlackNBlue24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Thanks! I think I'm up to date now.

Is the fan power wire (red) constant hot, or at least ignition hot? I didn't see this mentioned anywhere. Sorry if I missed it.

Nigel
The way I have it wired, the red wire only becomes hot when the switch is flipped. The 12VDC to the switch is ignition hot. It wouldn't hurt if the red wire was ignition hot, but I prefer things to only be hot when needed.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #364
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster here. This weekend I was able to get the ventilated portion of my driver seat working using this DC motor controller and external switch. It's single speed, set to full power. I'm powering it using the 12V switched power running to the cigarette lighter, so I've separated this from the seat harness. I had to make a small wiring harness with connectors running to the switch, controller, and both fans. It works like a charm!

If y'all have any questions just let me know.

Video: https://youtu.be/trDvePzE_hk

Pics:
nice, i might give this a shot, i think you are making it look easy though.

you replaced the dial knob on the controller you posted to the toggle switch?

edit: ok, i think you just turned the knob to full power and spliced in the toggle switch. ok if correct, so how to ensure turn knob stays on full, little glue or something?