Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 10-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
eaglesfan2006

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE Riverside Blue
First time polishing

I have a torq random dual action polisher and this weeekend I want to use essence and reload on the car per Glenn’s instructions.

I have been watching videos on proper use with the polisher. I just want to make sure I use the right pad. Below is a picture of the two pads I have one is white and one is black. According to the chart I believe I should be using the white one.

Let me know your thoughts and any other tips you may have.

Name:  DF38AC94-2756-4745-AE82-8E0BBC785A01.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  205.8 KB

Name:  8645007E-F6CF-4866-A145-3D452698C802.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  174.2 KB
eaglesfan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
White
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The black pad has no cut, the white pad has some cut, without seeing the condition of your paint, it is impossible to say which one will work the best.

The black no cut pad will give a little better gloss, the white pad will do better at removing light defects.

Some other things you need are....a light to check your work......it's impossible to look at paint in improper lighting and determine what effect the process is accomplishing.

Carpro Eraser. After you wash and clay the surface, before you apply Essence, you must wipe the surface first with Eraser to ensure proper bonding.

Regardless of which pad you use (I prefer Meguiars DMF microfiber finishing pads), you need to use a slow arm speed when working it in, move the machine about 1" per second, mark the backing plate with a sharpie to be sure your keeping the pad spinning. A speed of 4-5 should be used with a standard DA. With a long throw machine, or a forced rotation DA, use 3-4. The product should be clear after 1-2 passes. Once it turns clear wipe any excess off, don't overwork it.

You really should have at least 3 pads, because at some point the pad will get clogged with spent product, diminishing your results. Because your only using one be sure to clean it after every section.

Use two towels when applying the Reload, one to spread it out, and one to level any excess. Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile towels are fantastic for this purpose.

For your eraser wipe, go to 4:00 of this video. See how he sprays the Eraser liberally? You want to do the same, it's imperative to get all the oils off the paint before you use Essence. Then just apply the Reload on top of the Essence, after the Essence has been on the surface at least 1 hour, apply it in small sections as shown in the video. The Reload cures in an hour, and I'd recommend on your first use, to apply a second coat, just in case you missed any spots.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 10-06-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
I use the orange pad with Scholls S20 Black on the metal areas "ie" doors, hood, roof and trunk lid then I use the white pad on the nose and rear bumper, you can do some damage by using the orange pad on 2 latter.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren3537 View Post
I use the orange pad with Scholls S20 Black on the metal areas "ie" doors, hood, roof and trunk lid then I use the white pad on the nose and rear bumper, you can do some damage by using the orange pad on 2 latter.
It's best practice also to follow the orange pad with a white pad so not to possibly cause DA haze.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren3537 View Post

S20 is a 1 step compound, much different than Carpro Essence, which the OP is using. Essence contains much less abrasives, it also has durable fillers, and also leaves a layer of protection on the paint at the same time, so not really an apples to apples comparison.

Carpro does also sell a 1-step compound, called Fixer. Hard to tell much difference from S20, as they both use diminishing abrasives that break down to very fine particles. Both work well for defect removal and finishing in 1 step.

The bumpers are plastic and the paint isn't baked on like the rest of the car, so this paint tends to be softer. Hence the marring your getting from the S20 with medium cutting pad.

Scholl Concepts makes a wonderful finishing pad for diminishing abrasive compounds/polishes. It's called the Neo Spider "Honey" pad. It's a little more expensive than others, but finishes down better than any other foam pad I've ever tried.

I've used Buff & Shine, Meguiars, lots of different Lake Country, CG Hex logic, and Scholl Concepts......on a Griots 6"....Rupes 21...and Flex 3401.

If you like S20, you will like it with the Scholl Neo Spider "Honey" pad on softer paint.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
eaglesfan2006

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
The black pad has no cut, the white pad has some cut, without seeing the condition of your paint, it is impossible to say which one will work the best.

The black no cut pad will give a little better gloss, the white pad will do better at removing light defects.

Some other things you need are....a light to check your work......it's impossible to look at paint in improper lighting and determine what effect the process is accomplishing.

Carpro Eraser. After you wash and clay the surface, before you apply Essence, you must wipe the surface first with Eraser to ensure proper bonding.

Regardless of which pad you use (I prefer Meguiars DMF microfiber finishing pads), you need to use a slow arm speed when working it in, move the machine about 1" per second, mark the backing plate with a sharpie to be sure your keeping the pad spinning. A speed of 4-5 should be used with a standard DA. With a long throw machine, or a forced rotation DA, use 3-4. The product should be clear after 1-2 passes. Once it turns clear wipe any excess off, don't overwork it.

You really should have at least 3 pads, because at some point the pad will get clogged with spent product, diminishing your results. Because your only using one be sure to clean it after every section.

Use two towels when applying the Reload, one to spread it out, and one to level any excess. Microfiber Madness Crazy Pile towels are fantastic for this purpose.

For your eraser wipe, go to 4:00 of this video. See how he sprays the Eraser liberally? You want to do the same, it's imperative to get all the oils off the paint before you use Essence. Then just apply the Reload on top of the Essence, after the Essence has been on the surface at least 1 hour, apply it in small sections as shown in the video. The Reload cures in an hour, and I'd recommend on your first use, to apply a second coat, just in case you missed any spots.

Sorry I meant to mention that the car is a month old so the paint is still in great condition. I’ll take note of everything you mention. Thank you!
eaglesfan2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I know the post is a month old but one piece of information that would be helpful. AutoGeek has a chart that shows the cutting factor on pads. They also have a chart that shows the characteristics and aggressive nature of detailing products available. If your car is only a month old I would not touch it for at least 90 days. Another thing everyone would agree with is start with the least aggressive product and pad then work from there. Each paint is different so I have a variety of products by several manufactures and pads of each color and I always start with white. You can get addicted to this stuff.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote