Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
_nadyax2

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2.0
Smile 2016 Camaro 2.0t

I was wondering if anybody could help me out on deciding some more performance mods that i can add to me car to get more hp.
I currently have an upgraded turbo from rpm, e85 from rpm, zzp cai, zzp 67mm throttle body, borla exhaust, borla down pipe with the y pipe, and im getting a dyno tune next week...
_nadyax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by _nadyax2 View Post
I was wondering if anybody could help me out on deciding some more performance mods that i can add to me car to get more hp.
I currently have an upgraded turbo from rpm, e85 from rpm, zzp cai, zzp 67mm throttle body, borla exhaust, borla down pipe with the y pipe, and im getting a dyno tune next week...
Thread moved to 'I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons'

-DG
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:

So I'm gonna give a 100% honest take for you. *BUTTHURT MEMBER AND VENDOR SPOILERS AHEAD*

with that said. I'll start with the simple answer with those mods your not likely to see past 330whp/380wtq on a properly SAE calculated dyno.

Now for your mods

*SPOILER SECTION STOP READING IF YOUR A SNOWFLAKE AND DON'T LIKE THE TRUTH*

The RPM Turbo is just an upgraded stock turbo there is nothing wrong with that. If your looking to ho bigger numbers with it safely you will need to upgrade your internals and cooling.

JE or CP-Carillo Forged Rods & Pistons and Mishimoto IC with their or Injen Pipes or ZZP FMIC.

RPMs E85 Flex Fuel is a scam you can tune for E85 but they are lying to you if they say it works. And have blown up other LTGs with shitty tuning so buyer beware.

Your borla products are all good they are pricey but quality parts.

ZZP 67mm TB Kit is good as well no issues with this kit have been seen or heard about.

ZZP CAI is at best a Hot Air Intake it doesn't seal well at all your honest best bet for good IATs and power is sadly the Stock Air Box with K&N Drop-In Filter and Mishimoto Silicone Intake Tube. You'll get the same airflow in a sealed unit for much lower IATs which equates to more power. The Injen Evo CAI is also a good choice.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
^ What he said. Stay away from anything RPM Motorsports. No need to risk it when there are so many better options.

Go with Vermont Tuning for your E85 kit and tune. Vermont is hands down the best E85 kit and tune available.

Use the stock airbox with the Mishimoto or ZZP Intake Tube with an aFe or K&N stock air filter. A "CAI" or anything "open box" is an absolute joke.

Get the Mishimoto or Enjen Charge Pipes for the larger ZZP 67mm Throttle Body and better airflow from your upgraded turbo.

Keep the RPM turbo, it's fine. Anything better than that will require forged rods and pistons $$$$.

Your Borla Exaust System is great.

Future upgrades:
JacFab Recirculation Valve
Aftermarket Intercooler from Mishimoto (easiest option) or the ZZP fmic (pita)
PTP Turbo Blanket
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 01-26-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
ZZP CAI is at best a Hot Air Intake it doesn't seal well at all your honest best bet for good IATs and power is sadly the Stock Air Box with K&N Drop-In Filter and Mishimoto Silicone Intake Tube. You'll get the same airflow in a sealed unit for much lower IATs which equates to more power. The Injen Evo CAI is also a good choice.
Not to beat a dead horse because this had been brought up a lot on many turbo and tuning forums I’ve been on the last 20 years. But there is no difference between a cold air and hot air intake on a turbo car. Any cooler inlet temps are irrelevant the second the air hits the compressor and is superheated. The focus is always on the after cooling and the true inlet temps following compression. The one thing universal is a open element is better over a sealed unit. There is only so much CFM a box can hold and once you raise boost levels the airbox inlet becomes the bottleneck.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Not to beat a dead horse because this had been brought up a lot on many turbo and tuning forums I’ve been on the last 20 years. But there is no difference between a cold air and hot air intake on a turbo car. Any cooler inlet temps are irrelevant the second the air hits the compressor and is superheated. The focus is always on the after cooling and the true inlet temps following compression. The one thing universal is a open element is better over a sealed unit. There is only so much CFM a box can hold and once you raise boost levels the airbox inlet becomes the bottleneck.

Evilbee is right. 20 years ago things were a bit different. Hell, 3 years ago thing were a lot different. Our PCM is ultra fast, and sensitive. Plenty of us already have data showing higher before and after IAT's using open type boxes. So regardless of anything else, you have already lost power after the first higher IAT reading. Also, there is O data suggesting the stock box is any sort of restriction. It pulls from the entire front end where the box dumps. We like to keep things factual and data based in this section of the forum.

Quote:

Evil and Machine gave some good advise. Only thing I can add is look around awhile, do your research..Good luck

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Evilbee is right. 20 years ago things were a bit different. Hell, 3 years ago thing were a lot different. Our PCM is ultra fast, and sensitive. Plenty of us already have data showing higher before and after IAT's using open type boxes. So regardless of anything else, you have already lost power after the first higher IAT reading. Also, there is O data suggesting the stock box is any sort of restriction. It pulls from the entire front end where the box dumps. We like to keep things factual and data based in this section of the forum.
I didn’t stop tuning 20 years ago, I’ve been constantly the entire time. The Camaro isn’t some special unicorn as much as you’d like to believe. There are tons of cars with pre and post turbo IAT’s. OP said he is having it tuned. I would assume that portion would be addressed but judging by the amount of blown tuned 2.0’s I’ve seen on here I’m guessing there is nothing factual and data based. Seems everyone is guessing and pissing in the wind. Carry on kids, won’t say another word.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #8
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
I didn’t stop tuning 20 years ago, I’ve been constantly the entire time. The Camaro isn’t some special unicorn as much as you’d like to believe. There are tons of cars with pre and post turbo IAT’s. OP said he is having it tuned. I would assume that portion would be addressed but judging by the amount of blown tuned 2.0’s I’ve seen on here I’m guessing there is nothing factual and data based. Seems everyone is guessing and pissing in the wind. Carry on kids, won’t say another word.
The only people blowing up engines are RPM Motorsports and individual people that "know a tuner" or think they can do it themselves. Trifecta, Vermont and ZZP are safely tuning this platform with decent results.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/the-e...rged-vehicles/

A friend posted this after reading your statement and getting a good laugh.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile

Last edited by Evil-Bee-NH; 01-27-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
I swapped from the Injen evo box to ZZPs intake. Average temps have been very similar. Only noticing difference is that the temps guage moves more and faster. With the boxed Injen setup, the temps didnt change as drastically. I also have a vented hood which makes a difference. My 2 cents
StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #11
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I wont get into too big of a conversation about the various open intakes, but most of the designs actually create a vacuum environment pulling hot under-hood air. For example, the fix I placed on this particular open intake, actually sucked the thick foam in over time. Pretty much showing its going to suck hot under-hood air.

More discussion needs to be had about how to utilize the 3" closed CAI box GM gave us from the factory.
Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
DarkFangz1100

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
My $0.02 your best bet is to get a tune from Trifecta, Vermont, or ZZP. Reinforce internals and get different turbo that isn't a rebuilt stock turbo.

If you follow ZZP their cars are doing wonders with the setups granted they are in a colder climate....Here in Arizona I can tell the difference going up the mountain for a casual drive the car does in fact breathe better....However, my car performs better with ZZP CAI then it did with the stock one in hot af Arizona...IAT is always in good working area

Follow your dreams and chase the company you want not sure why every thread requires a pissing match