Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2022, 02:27 PM   #1
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
Anyone running Pilot 4 Sport 4S Summer on 1LE?

Trying to decide between the Michelin AS and Summer tires. I assume both are much less sticky than OE? I’m not going to track the car or drive in snow. Want the best performance I can get without sandblasting my paint…
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Less sticky, but better daily driving. Get them if you're just daily driving.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I launched just as well on my PS4S at the dragstrip as my bud in an SS 1LE on his stock Goodyear SC3s, and I was also able to keep up with him in the canyons (mind that I have 1LE wheels and wider tires than the stock SS).

Not very scientific, I know, but for street and daily driving plus the occasional dragstrip/mountain road flogging, the PS4S is almost unbeatable, especially when rain or standing water is a possibility. It's even quieter than any other tire I tried.

As to all-season vs summer, if you don't need to drive in under ~40-degree weather, you probably won't have any issues with the summer tire and you won't need to sacrifice performance in the warm and dry. I do take the car out in 35-36 degrees, too, these PS4S summer tires still work just fine, but then I never venture beyond feisty grandma style at those temps.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #4
cooldawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

As to all-season vs summer, if you don't need to drive in under ~40-degree weather, you probably won't have any issues with the summer tire and you won't need to sacrifice performance in the warm and dry. I do take the car out in 35-36 degrees, too, these PS4S summer tires still work just fine, but then I never venture beyond feisty grandma style at those temps.
Sounds like the Summer tire is the way to go although I’ll definitely be driving it in cool weather during spring and fall (especially in early spring where I live where I’ve been waiting 4+ months for that initial run through the gears). Is there a noticeable difference in the amount of road debris for Michelin Summer vs. AS?

I’m planning on installing ACS rockers and doing ceramic/ some film as well- although it would be nice to skip the film… I don’t like the seams. At some point, you have to just enjoy the car knowing it will eventually show some age.

It’s on way to dealer now. Can’t wait even though I’ll have to store it away for a few months once I get it!
Old 12-17-2022, 08:02 AM   #5
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Not sure which Angola (i.e. what state), but I live in the St. Louis area and run PS4S as my street tires and also as my rain tires for autocross and track duty. They are great for this, and they are leagues faster than any all-season, even in rain. If you don't believe me about the rain, check out a good test of the Continental equivalents (these are really the only peers to the Michelins in the two categories). I've driven them on some mornings where the temps were in the high 20s with zero issues at all. We are heading into some days where the high temps will be in the teens, so I'm finally going to swap out to my base-model 18x8.5 with crappy all-seasons. Even the PS4S picks up some gravel, but not as much as the OE Goodyears on a hot day.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #6
cooldawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Not sure which Angola (i.e. what state), but I live in the St. Louis area and run PS4S as my street tires and also as my rain tires for autocross and track duty. They are great for this, and they are leagues faster than any all-season, even in rain. If you don't believe me about the rain, check out a good test of the Continental equivalents (these are really the only peers to the Michelins in the two categories). I've driven them on some mornings where the temps were in the high 20s with zero issues at all. We are heading into some days where the high temps will be in the teens, so I'm finally going to swap out to my base-model 18x8.5 with crappy all-seasons. Even the PS4S picks up some gravel, but not as much as the OE Goodyears on a hot day.
That would be Angola, Indiana. Thanks Matt. If the PS4S summer is noticeably better on the gravel front than OE supercar, looks like a slam dunk decision.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:08 AM   #7
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldawg View Post
That would be Angola, Indiana. Thanks Matt. If the PS4S summer is noticeably better on the gravel front than OE supercar, looks like a slam dunk decision.
If you don't plan to track the car in warm/dry conditions (or have a different set of wheels/tires for that), then the PS4S is a fantastic "three-season" choice. I have tracked my 1LE on a cold and rainy day on them, and they were great for that as well. For the street, I would run them from mid-March through mid-December. For the winter interval in between, if you want to drive the car then a set of real winter wheels/tires is probably best. There's a post in the marketplace from a guy in Indiana selling a good set of those. I have no affiliation at all, just pointing it out since it's probably close to you. If you plan to not drive the Camaro over the winter, then obviously you can skip this part.